It would appear that the Compound is most peoples 'starter' big engine as its usually the cheapest of the 4-4-0s.  I did, then I got a boxed County and a rake of GW carriages to go with it.  The LNER is a bit too far and would require carriages to match as would the Southern L1 or the Schools.  Gets a bit pricey!

Brian.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

My parcel from the auction turned up today :no: :

attachicon.gifE220a.jpg

attachicon.gifE220b.jpg

The items are most definitely used but have a wonderful patina to them. The tender and one coach end are missing couplings so replacements have been ordered. I do not want to restore the finish which to my eye is fabulously aged. So, the next question was whether the engine would run. Now in the description it clearly said Clockwork, but the model is most definitely fitted with an electric mechanism! 

attachicon.gifE220c.jpg

I'm aware that the No.2 specials were made as both clockwork and electric versions; and also that over the years many clockwork models have been converted to electric. However, the body of my model has no hole for a clockwork key and no obvious sign of this having been covered - but it has the plain (rather than the lightbulb) smokebox. So it would be great if any of you more knowledgeable collectors in this field could advise me of exactly what I have got!

Also, could you confirm that this mechanism will be a 20v one? I know the first Hornby electric trains used mains voltage, and that at some point they used 6v but as far as I can establish these were fitted with 20v mechanisms. Assuming this is the case, would the 12vDC out of a Duette be enough to at least turn the mechanism, and if not, what are your suggestions?

Thanks as always for help/advice!

attachicon.gifE220d.jpg

I love your Hornby compound.  Fancy nobody wanting it because I would be all over something like that like a rash if I had the money.

After not being well for a while I'm looking to get back to things with my 'O' gauge trains.  I'm thinking about a branchline layout, - LSWR of course, - and at this stage of things I'm still sorting through my collection and generally measuring up the trains dedicated corner of my bedroom to see how best to fit in baseboards.

• Like 2

post-21098-0-64736400-1517699927_thumb.jpg

Lionel Kinlet Hall on the milk train. The crew have a precarious position on the footplate but have survived so far. The milk tanker was a blue one painted grey but I got it at a good price.

Brian

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

From the old and battered department I have this.

U1H4SfG.jpg

I'm sorting out all my 'O' gauge tinplate, litho and wooden rolling stock at the moment from where they've been stored in plastic crates and putting them away in a more civilised fashion in chests of drawers in my bedroom.  I was given a pair of very down on their luck LMC loco bodies sometime ago and this is possibly the worst one.  Some folk don't like these old LMC tank engines, but I'm a bit of a fan of large tank engines anyway and I'd like very much to return these LMC locos back to usefulness again.  The controversial bit is that I'll be using Lionel mechs because I've got them and being of very slender means I couldn't buy anything else even if I wanted to.

The other LMC tank engine bodyshell is one of these (I don't have a camera at the moment and my old cellphone's camera isn't very good).

mW83U0R.jpg

It's in much better shape, though judging from the soldered in brass brackets and cutting about inside the bodyshell its had a few different mechs fitted to it in its time.  All fittings (tank fillers, dome, footsteps etc) have been robbed with some violence, but fortunately nothing that can't be repaired.  I did offer up a lovely Bassett Lowke 4 coupled clockwork mech I've got to see if it would fit, but no luck as there just isn't the space for it to fit properly  :cry: I haven't looked at the Lionel option yet and I think I've got a Hornby clockwork mech somewhere that needs a little TLC so I'm not out of options yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's my feeling too Kevin.  They were passed on to me with an almost sniffy, 'Let's see you do something with those then,' by a 'serious' collector who regarded them as being beyond all hope.  I could never begin to afford a pristine LMC locomotive and this is most probably the only way I'm going to get close.  I have a choice of both 4 coupled and six coupled mechs and I think the 6 coupled one would suit the larger red LMC bodyshell best.  I'd like to paint and letter it for the LSWR too even though you'd need to have a serious eyesight problem to mistake it for an H16 class.

ZyYJU6U.jpg?1

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

'Tis indeed 5050  CiGqXXb.png  It would be far too big for my light railway pretentions.  The old Red Leeds bodyshell seemed to be available as a 4-4-0 as well as a 4-6-0 and the main difference in the bodyshells is that the 4-6-0 seems to have cab doors to hide the rear driving wheel from view.

Pictures courtesy of the Dutch HRCA

QsyF3Ic.jpg?1

NryX02j.jpg?1

On thinking about it a four coupled engine would be better since my layout won't have sweeping curves and large radius points; - and since my bodyshell looks like it used to be a 4-4-0 I should really go with that.  On checking with the Leeds Stedman Trust it looks like most of the missing small pieces in the way of robbed fittings are available so I should be able to do a reasonable rebuild.

• Like 2

My thoughts ran along the lines of a 4-4-2T. The 4-4-0 looks to have axle loading problems and the 4-6-0 probably would have serious bearing problems with an axle right underneath the firebox. Having to climb over a driving wheel to access the cab wouldn't impress her driver and fireman either, not that things like that worried designers back in the day

• RMweb Premium

I have a complete Lionel 2-4-2 loco with the diecast bodyshell and I was thinking of stripping it for the parts to get my old Leeds loco into a functional state again.  I have no interest in Lionel trains as such it was just that some years ago when the Kiwi dollar was sailing high against the US dollar I purchased quite a few Lionel locos from the US and sold them on to fund my British 'O' gauge ambitions. I thought I'd sold them all, but then I found this one in one of my storage boxes lacking a tender and that's when I started to seriously think about using it to provide parts.  I've got other odd Lionel loco wheels, mechs and spares left over from my horse trading, but with a complete loco providing the necessary parts I won't be scratching around trying to find any missing bits. It will be a 4-4-2 as I've got spare wheels and I've got a nice set of Walsall's bogie castings I can use to make the front bogie.

pAYj4k6.jpg

• Like 1

With all the photos on this subject, I'm not sure if this one has been featured.

post-21098-0-31899800-1518736973.jpg

It is just as Frank Hornby envisaged, Meccano and Hornby trains together.  The Meccano model is one of the Gargery viaducts on the Cornwall Railway and elsewhere with the Brunel footprint.  The model was built mostly with very early  and very rusty parts which perhaps gives the impression of the wooden construction.  Appropriate train crossing!

Brian.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Very nice and as you say very old school Hornby.  Not being a GWR modeller (except in the digital world) I don't have a use for a Burnel timber viaduct and the thought of actually building one is somewhat frightening so this would certainly be one way of doing it. 

• Like 1

With all the photos on this subject, I'm not sure if this one has been featured.

attachicon.giftrestle 001 (640x480) (2).jpg

It is just as Frank Hornby envisaged, Meccano and Hornby trains together.  The Meccano model is one of the Gargery viaducts on the Cornwall Railway and elsewhere with the Brunel footprint.  The model was built mostly with very early  and very rusty parts which perhaps gives the impression of the wooden construction.  Appropriate train crossing!

Brian.

Hmmm! 

I must get some more 12½" Angle Girders. Unfortunately they tend to be expensive....  :(

I can't just pop down to the local toy shop and buy them over the counter any more. It's all that that exorbitantly priced plastic stuff these days....

I would need the Hornby engine too. She has rather the lines of a GWR 'Birdcage' 2-4-2T I think (a bit beefy boilerwise - or there is a Bing version http://www.tcawestern.org/bing.htm )

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

The Bing ones are very nice, and there are a couple on the market currently, but they do tend to be a bit rare and ‘sought after’ (although not to the degree that the more optimistic of the current advertisers seems to think!).

You could always build the viaduct from sticks, like the real ones.

For the pedants herein, it was Peter Margery who was involved with Brunel and the viaducts.  Not Gargery; I must have been thinking of a contemporary of Brunel who wrote novels about Joe Gargery the blacksmith and Pip. :pardon:

Brian.

• 4 months later...

Hopefully someone here may be able to help.

Im looking for the identity of this item, a prewar tinplate building, what appears to be some form of freight station.

All I can say is on the end it has printed in the litho "KB Made in Bavaria" and on the bottom is rubber stamped "Made in Germany"

By my search, this is a Karl Bub item, dating from around 1914 going by having both Bavaria and Germany on it.  

However, I can not for the life of me find any photos of a similar building anywhere online.  

post-21863-0-50339000-1530549496_thumb.jpg

Its clearly missing a platform on the front.  The doors slide if thats of any help.  

Anyone ever seen something like it?

There’s a complete one, with platform and crane, for sale on German eBay right now.

Somewhere, there is a giant database of these things, a German website, but I can’t for the life of me recall what it’s called just now!

KB certainly sounds like Bub, but watch out for KBN , which is Bing.

The top identifiers hang out on altemodellbahnen.de

Edited by Nearholmer

Memory now functioning

https://www.historytoy.com/toys-Railway-Freight-Station-Accessories-Bub

You will see two versions of your guterbahnhof.

The database is superb. The British equivalent is Binnsroad.

For the British market ‘Bavaria’ or ‘foreign made’ , and various other obfuscations, were sometimes used post-WW1 as thin disguises, but I don’t know whether that applies in the US.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Memory now functioning

https://www.historytoy.com/toys-Railway-Freight-Station-Accessories-Bub

You will see two versions of your guterbahnhof.

The database is superb. The British equivalent is Binnsroad.

For the British market ‘Bavaria’ or ‘foreign made’ , and various other obfuscations, were sometimes used post-WW1 as thin disguises, but I don’t know whether that applies in the US.

Thanks.

From my research, Bub was distributed by FAO Schwartz in the US starting just postwar about.  How my grandfather ended up getting it is a mystery as I have no photographic record of it appearing anywhere in the prewar/postwar era.  Probably picked it up second hand somewhere in the present condition.  

My example definitely never had a crane as the platform clearly ends short after the building.  

I cant seem to find that ebay listing, you have a link?

KB certainly sounds like Bub, but watch out for KBN , which is Bing.

A small correction if I am allowed. Both KB as well as KBN are trademarks used by Karl Bub Nurnberg. GBN (for Gebrüder Bing Nurnberg) is the trademark Bing used.

Regards

Fred

Hmmm! 

I must get some more 12½" Angle Girders. Unfortunately they tend to be expensive....  :(

I can't just pop down to the local toy shop and buy them over the counter any more. It's all that that exorbitantly priced plastic stuff these days....

I would need the Hornby engine too. She has rather the lines of a GWR 'Birdcage' 2-4-2T I think (a bit beefy boilerwise - or there is a Bing version http://www.tcawestern.org/bing.htm )

Have a look here,if you scroll down the page(quite a way down),there are zinc plated 12 1/2" girders at £2.50 each.

http://www.meccanohobby.co.uk/main.htm

Ray