Steve's 4mm workbench. Sound at last!

sb67

• 1 month later...

post-24-0-43989100-1520781441_thumb.jpg

Almost finished my Hunslet shunter, added a wire coupling hook which needs painting to match the underframe and need some cosmetic 3 link couplings and maybe a touch more weathering to complete it. I've got it running as best  I can but it's not perfect by a long way.

Steve.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

post-24-0-18138100-1521525528.jpg

post-24-0-76260900-1521525546.jpg

I've added some weathering powders but I think the finish looks a bit flat, I'm not sure what to do to lift it, maybe some oily washes around the engine panels?

Steve.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

post-24-0-43356000-1522988778_thumb.jpg

The shunter is all done, or as far as I want to go. I worked the powders and added some washes and I'm happy with the results. Just got to get it to run better now!

Steve.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

post-24-0-14259000-1524717565_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-63273600-1524717598_thumb.jpg

Had a busy few evenings building some kits that had been in the drawer for a few years! Just got to get some new wheels for one, decide which couplings to go for and decide how to paint them.

Steve.

• Like 5

post-24-0-02649100-1525270878_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-81974600-1525271075_thumb.jpg

Sprayed the wagons with red oxide primer, which I'll use as a base for weathering. The underframes will be painted suitable colours. Added some transfers on one side, as my layouts are small shunting layouts, on the other side I might put some transfers more suitable for the late 70's early 80's maybe making them into engineers wagons. Just need to find some pics to work from.

Steve. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

post-24-0-27033800-1526236025_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-56753300-1526236035_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-69120000-1526236047_thumb.jpg

Nearly finished some wagons. I've put different transfers on each side so I can use the stock for different eras. I just need to do a bit of drybrushing here and there, finish the interior of one wagon and looking at the pics, I may need to tweak the weathering a bit as well. Nearly done though.

Steve.

• Like 8

post-24-0-99449400-1526490870_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-28568200-1526490882_thumb.jpg

Finished my wagons. One side is finished in mid to late 60's the other mid to late 70's. I know they might not be 100% accurate but I'm happy with them. Just need to fit some couplings.

Steve. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Some very nice modelling here..... love the Ruston.

The wagons look great but for your information I think you will find the gas cut openings in the sides of the 16T mineral were a comparatively recent modification to prevent overloading when they were cascaded to the engineers late in their lives. Nicely done though.

Griff

The wagons look great but for your information I think you will find the gas cut openings in the sides of the 16T mineral were a comparatively recent modification to prevent overloading when they were cascaded to the engineers late in their lives. Nicely done though.

Griff

Indeed. Ironically the engineers wagons you have were replaced by the converted minfits in the earlier 1980s. The ragtag collection of older wagons were replaced by pretty uniform slotted "ZHVs".

Nice weathering

Griff

Thanks Griff, that's what I intend to do with the 16 tonner, the modifications happened in the mid 80's I think. I'm also trying to find some info on the smaller 3 plank wagon so that I can put that in the engineers dept as well. I've also got a couple of Grampus wagons to paint.

post-24-0-56631500-1526532939_thumb.jpg

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 4

I just had a quick look through some albums of wagon photos. That MR three-planker would probably have gone out of revenue use fairly soon after Nationalisation, and out of engineer's service by the mid-1950s. Beyond that, it might have survived as an 'Internal User' within a yard- similar wagons were used as rubbish carriers in goods depots.

I just had a quick look through some albums of wagon photos. That MR three-planker would probably have gone out of revenue use fairly soon after Nationalisation, and out of engineer's service by the mid-1950s. Beyond that, it might have survived as an 'Internal User' within a yard- similar wagons were used as rubbish carriers in goods depots.

Thanks Brian, I think the majority were unpainted in BR service as well so i'll probably paint it like that and number it DM  xxxxxxxxx and put an Em on the side. Probably not accurate but it might look ok. 

Steve.

post-24-0-01633700-1527086769_thumb.jpg

Made a start on the Grampus wagons. I've got a photo of one dated around the 70's which has faded black paint and that's what I'm trying to replicate. I used an off white oil paint to get the effect.  I'm looking for another picture to copy for the other one now.

Steve.

• Like 2

post-24-0-26812200-1527443934_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-85398200-1527443946_thumb.jpg

done as much as I can for now with the wagons,one rusted the other faded. I need some transfers now, then a bit more weathering.

I'm after some white 1970's transfers and some post tops transfers. I know modelmaster do some but cant find any pics. can anyone recommend any transfers?

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

CCT does yellow which I know predates your period but if any wagons were slow to be reliveried it was engineers wagons!

B59....

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Failing that have you tried Railtec - if Steve hasn't got what you want as stock chances are he will do it for you

http://www.railtec-models.com/index.php

Have had excellent results with both...

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Steve, have you ever tried putting a Dapol Grampus body on a Parkside Chassis/frame? Works OK...I've done a couple. as the Dapol body has neat mouldings.

By the way, the little poster on the Van says SLAG (my little joke for my layout) and comes from the Modelmaster Collection but I can't remember the actual name of the maker.

Phil

Steve, have you ever tried putting a Dapol Grampus body on a Parkside Chassis/frame? Works OK...I've done a couple. as the Dapol body has neat mouldings.

By the way, the little poster on the Van says SLAG (my little joke for my layout) and comes from the Modelmaster Collection but I can't remember the actual name of the maker.

Phil

I havent Phil, the ones I'm doing were unpainted Dapol wagons. I like the fact they made some of their wagons unpainted. I'm also going to repaint a Hornby shark in black. I'm going to make a start on that later.

Steve

• Like 1

Phil

They are manufactured by a company called Hollars. They were distributed by Modelmasters, but I couldn't see them on their site when I looked (but then, I have been up since before 04:00). I did find them on the excellent Wizard Models site:-

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/product-category/wagons/?filter_3_manufacturer=hollar-models

They add a bit of variety amongst the '50 shades of brown' on a 1950s-70s van train; you can even put several different ones, and remove parts with a fibre-glass pencil or similar, replicating the usually unsuccessful attempts to remove old ones.

Dapol often do the Grampus as a body-only (along with other wagons in their range) for a very keen price:- https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/oo-gauge/wagons-OO-Gauge/unpainted-wagon-bodies These sit nicely on Parkside underframes.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dapol often do the Grampus as a body-only (along with other wagons in their range) for a very keen price:- https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/oo-gauge/wagons-OO-Gauge/unpainted-wagon-bodies These sit nicely on Parkside underframes.

Hi FC, I've just started on some Grampus wagons using this method, but one obvious omission from the bodies is the footstep...

post-343-0-63166300-1546546064_thumb.jpg

Did you fit any? How did you go about it, fettled up from bits of brass?

Apologies for hijacking the thread.