Blue & Yellow all the way. Parkstone Goods, The George Jennings Project

pushpull33

Hi all.

As Pine Road is nearing completion i have been looking around for another project. (Don't panic Pine Road will not be broken up)

As i have lived in Poole all my life i have fond memories of Poole station especially the old cement silo that was there.

After seeing the excellent model of a blue circle cement silo that Bagpipes331 built in 7mm scale it speared me on to have a go at one in 4mm scale. All credit to bagpipes331 for this. This is what i came up with.

post-13496-0-63007600-1396962849_thumb.jpg

post-13496-0-03398500-1396962889_thumb.jpg

post-13496-0-08192000-1396962930_thumb.jpg

I have been collecting up a lot of Blue Circle related items over the last year or so, including Presflo's, Vee tank wagons various road trucks etc. 

So what to build.

no where near enough room to build Poole.

A private siding ? didn't want the full blown cement works

has to be set in the blue era, i have built up a nice collection of blue diesel. 

Are you still with me on this hello HELLO. ok i shall carry on rambling and thinking out loud.

Things got left, just couldn't come up with an idea how to go about this or a track plan, UNTIL last saturday. Nigel (of the Dorset 3mm society held on the first Saturday of the Month, Quick Plug) bought in a copy of Railway Modeller February 2001 and there it was staring me in the face Yipee Thats it i have an idea, something pinged inside me and now "i just cant get it out of my head" Quote Kyle.  Parkstone. Ok huge amounts of modellers licence here (please don't turn off)

So lets look at this. Am i allowed to post the track plan that was in the magazine, if so let me know ?

Well this is what i came up with (second phase of inspiration) a track plan. Take the main line and platforms out and this is what you are left with. Just a rough sketch but hey there is potential

post-13496-0-51608900-1396964478_thumb.jpg

I could take this opportunity to appologise that my drawing is not much better than my spelling, Grammer etc.

I have not thought about size yet but would have to be around 8 to 10 feet and 20 inches wide purely because that is the width of fiddle yard used on Pine Road (use same fiddle yard) hence it will take 8 Presflo's and an engine easily.

Any thoughts, comments, gripes, shouts, yelps on all this are gratfully received.

will this actually ever get built, well who knows it has been an idea for some time now. Little things happen and i suddenly have burst of inspiration.

Colin      

Edited by pushpull33
  • Like 12

I'm sure you've seen it all ready, but Heljan do a blue circle class 14 http://www.ehattons.com/33110/Heljan_1405_Class_14_Teddy_Bear_ex_British_Rail_Green_Blue_Circle_Cement_ex_D9526_Weathere/StockDetail.aspx

The plan looks great and the hopper is an incredible model! I'm looking forward to seeing this come together, no pressure. :D

Very nice work on the cement silo Colin, it really does look good. Especially with a Grid sitting next to it! Great modelling.

I have been helping my elder son with his cement terminal layout New Southwich so it is nice to see another layout of this genre.

I look forward to seeing more progress.

• Like 1

Given that the Private Line is feeding into sidings - not a problem.

Not sure if the Private Line would be fitted with a trap point though.

Would their locos would have to be registered with the British Transport Commission to run on BR metals in your period?

RT Models I believe do an etched oval plate.

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Gold

Cracking little idea for a layout I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this one as blue diesels and a private siding is just up my street.

If you google a place called Greaves sidings which is situated between Leamington Spa and Banbury.

It's basically a Blue circle cement facility just off the mainline with a few sidings and a private shunter which did all the shunting on the complex it also had the dispensation to shunt on the mainline with incoming stock. 

I would have put a link up but didn't want to infringe any copyright laws etc....

Anyway keep up the great work I'm looking forward to this developing

Cheers

Cov Guard

(Colin)

Hi all.

Well there's some good comments coming throgh on this one

We are still at the mixing stage at the moment but hey yes, those APCM wagons are a definite possibility as it would seem they were taken out of traffic in early 80s, so fits the bill, time scale. 

Colin

I would have thought that the Private Line would not have crossed the BR running lines?

I may be wrong, and stand to be corrected.

Otherwise looks rather interesting.

Best Regards

Ian

Hi Ian.

Yes you are pobably right my mistake for calling it a private line. It was reffered to on the original plan as a mineral line.

There's a bit about the line in a book called Rails to Poole Harbour by Colin Stone. The line use to supply a pottery. Originally it went to Saltens marina but no recorded use after about 1922.The tacks were lifted back as far as the pottey by about 1933

The line was taken out of use in 1963, the pottery closed 2 years later. The sidings closed in 1965 but the tracks remained until the early 70s.

Colin    

Ok, am i allowed 2 chunks of modellers licence?

Lets say the pottery lasted in to the early 70s (Poole Pottery is stil going). With all the development in Poole town center the sidings in Poole and the land was sold off for this, Blue circle moved there oporations to Parktone (although it would probably have been moved to Hamworthy goods.) Parkstone would have been a very busy place or is all this to far fetched.

I have built this silo just want a layout to put it on.

The plan is Parkstone sidings the bottom most siding was the down main line.

You thoughts please

Colin    

• Like 1

...Well there's some good comments coming throgh on this one

We are still at the mixing stage ...

I didn't want to pour cold water on the idea.

For more inspiration from a prior era, if you can find the book "The Cement Railways of Kent", there's plenty of industrials there to choose from.

I didn't want to pour cold water on the idea.

For more inspiration from a prior era, if you can find the book "The Cement Railways of Kent", there's plenty of industrials there to choose from.

I will look out for that i wonder if there is one called "The cement Railways of Dorset".

This idea is "curing" nicely. i thnk we have "cemented" together a good idea for a layout allthough it hasn't turned "green" yet. Im just powdering sorry pondering on the idea. Its becoming a hardened plan........

Colin

• Like 1

Ok, am i allowed 2 chunks of modellers licence?

Lets say the pottery lasted in to the early 70s (Poole Pottery is stil going). With all the development in Poole town center the sidings in Poole and the land was sold off for this, Blue circle moved there oporations to Parktone (although it would probably have been moved to Hamworthy goods.) Parkstone would have been a very busy place or is all this to far fetched.

I have built this silo just want a layout to put it on.

The plan is Parkstone sidings the bottom most siding was the down main line.

You thoughts please

Colin    

As it is based on a real location it is likely to look right, and in a parallel universe it may have happened, I have used more modellers licence than that!

You have done a great job with Pine Road, and the silo is a good start for this one.  

You can't beat BR blue, it looks like it is the sort of layout I enjoy viewing at exhibitions.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

I would certainly consider some of these but can't seem to find any rtr or kit form unless someone kows different.

Colin

There isn't but they are relatively easy to scratchbuild - the Chassis is very similar to the Bachmann TTA.

The doors are virtually the same as those on the VEA van - the body sprue for which can be bought from Parkside as a separate item.

Here's a picture of my effort lurking at the rear left awaiting its roof.

The wagon diagram giving the major dimensions is below too.

post-5198-0-74194600-1397423279_thumb.jpg

APCM BV62xx van.pdf

• Like 3

There isn't but they are relatively easy to scratchbuild - the Chassis is very similar to the Bachmann TTA.

The doors are virtually the same as those on the VEA van - the body sprue for which can be bought from Parkside as a separate item.

Here's a picture of my effort lurking at the rear left awaiting its roof.

The wagon diagram giving the major dimensions is below too.

Well Southernman46, This is very helpfull indeed, thankyou very much. I will have a go at these at some point.

Colin.

As i think i have said some where i have been collecting up various items "Blue Circle" related and this is the state of play so far.

post-13496-0-95587500-1397476549_thumb.jpg

The Trackside Foden will probably  be weathered to a pritty bad state and tucked up in the corner of the yard some where.

post-13496-0-11658500-1397476581_thumb.jpg

I aquired three more "Vee tanks" over the weekend. The yellow presflo's will be repainted Grey/Brown.

post-13496-0-47791600-1397476603_thumb.jpg

After some research over the weekend, I learnt alot about the line. There was a good article about the mineral siding in the Dorset Life magazine some time ago. Also some amazing Photographs, Credit to Alwyn Ladell i believe.

I also have on order a Scammell Routeman from Langley Models, bit of a hienz 57 this as the cab, chassis and body are from different parts of thier kits.

Colin   

• Like 7

Looking at your track plan.  Would you want to move the silo/loading of the cement to the lower siding? Currently as it stands the loco has to use the silo siding as the headshunt for the run around loop - this strikes me as being "unusual" and a bit of a pain to operate.  If you put the cement at the front on the first siding then the top one could be used as the run around and for access to the mineral/private siding.

Looking at your track plan.  Would you want to move the silo/loading of the cement to the lower siding? Currently as it stands the loco has to use the silo siding as the headshunt for the run around loop - this strikes me as being "unusual" and a bit of a pain to operate.  If you put the cement at the front on the first siding then the top one could be used as the run around and for access to the mineral/private siding.

Thats a very good point you make there, i hadn't noticed that.

On the real thing that was where the Goods shed was and quite a large one it was too. That must have been a lot of planning when it came to shunting the yard. 

Colin

Nice collection there colin - are you going to want to take them out of their boxes though :jester:

Cheers, Bob.

I really don't want to Bob. Some of these have never been out in the last couple of years. I took the Class 31 out just to make sure it wasn't cracked on the cab corners and then put it away again.

Colin

• Like 1