Blue & Yellow all the way. Parkstone Goods, The George Jennings Project

pushpull33

Don't let anyone ever tell you that modelling a prototype is easy, especially when the station, or at least some of it is still their.

You gradually discover more photo's and various pieces of information as you go along.

Take the platform edging, presently it's of a breeze block type construction. Then you find a photo of one end of the station, oh look it was brick in 1957. Two months later you come across another photo of the other end of the station, oh look that's good old SR concrete edging as made by Peco. Then another photo turns up that show a clear image that the first 3rd was concrete and the last 2 3rd were brick.

Now we need pic's/drawings of the down platform canopy and wooden/brick waiting rooms. Thankfully the footbridge is still their. (i wonder if it was always built of brick) i Know it had a glass roof. i believe it blew down around the late 50s early 60s.

research, research, research.

Colin        

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Thought i would do a quick update on The Cement works. Well it didn't happen. The track plan was taken from "Parkstone station" and that is what we have ended up with.

So, for those of you who haven't followed my blog   https://cpineroad.blogspot.co.uk/  thought i would post a couple of pics here for you to see what the outcome was.

post-13496-0-71733500-1492294437_thumb.jpg

post-13496-0-15560700-1492294349_thumb.jpg

post-13496-0-06287100-1492294219_thumb.jpg

post-13496-0-01183900-1492294193_thumb.jpg

and of course George Jennings which has since had its name plates fitted.

post-13496-0-87721800-1492294756_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello OP can i just ask you-what period are those Hornby v tanks correct for? I can`t find any pictures of the real thing online, there are plenty of plain grey and a few of the early ones with the logo on a seperate board but i cant find a single one with what i assume are vinyls for the logo. I do remember seeing the models used on and early 90's display layout at a show but that does not automatically make them correct. Please advise.

• 2 months later...

Hello OP can i just ask you-what period are those Hornby v tanks correct for? I can`t find any pictures of the real thing online, there are plenty of plain grey and a few of the early ones with the logo on a seperate board but i cant find a single one with what i assume are vinyls for the logo. I do remember seeing the models used on and early 90's display layout at a show but that does not automatically make them correct. Please advise.

Ooops, just seen your post. I believe the "v" tanks (otherwise known as the chevron type) came in around 1975. They were originally fitted with metal boards with the company name but where removed later. I can't find any photos with vinyls, so not sure if they ever had them as the Hornby model is depicted. A good source of information are the "working wagons volume Two by David Larkin IBSN 0-9507960-7-7. Hope i'm not to late and this is of some help to you.   

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ooops, just seen your post. I believe the "v" tanks (otherwise known as the chevron type) came in around 1975. They were originally fitted with metal boards with the company name but where removed later. I can't find any photos with vinyls, so not sure if they ever had them as the Hornby model is depicted. A good source of information are the "working wagons volume Two by David Larkin IBSN 0-9507960-7-7. Hope i'm not to late and this is of some help to you.   

Thanks for responding-for some reason i don't get any notifications on threads i follow so i am later than you.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Colin.  I am enjoying reading about your layout in the October 2019 Railway Modeller (our magazine seller gets them rather late here in Canada, but well worth the wait).  I looked forward to reading your article about your " 'O' gauge Parkstone" layout.  It noted on the front cover of RM:  "Parkstone  A Dorset goods yard and industrial branch in 0". I was not disappointed however, as along with your excellent 4 m.m. layout there was an 'O' gauge layout featured along with other 'O' gauge information.  Looking at your Class 33, 73, and possibly the other models, it could just as easily be modelled in 'O' as the Class 33 is/will be available again in that scale, although the Class 73 is only available in kit form.  Thank you for an enjoyable article.

• Agree 1

• 7 months later...
On 02/12/2019 at 23:59, SouthernEMU said:

Hi Colin.  I am enjoying reading about your layout in the October 2019 Railway Modeller (our magazine seller gets them rather late here in Canada, but well worth the wait).  I looked forward to reading your article about your " 'O' gauge Parkstone" layout.  It noted on the front cover of RM:  "Parkstone  A Dorset goods yard and industrial branch in 0". I was not disappointed however, as along with your excellent 4 m.m. layout there was an 'O' gauge layout featured along with other 'O' gauge information.  Looking at your Class 33, 73, and possibly the other models, it could just as easily be modelled in 'O' as the Class 33 is/will be available again in that scale, although the Class 73 is only available in kit form.  Thank you for an enjoyable article.

Thank you for the good coments. Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, Railway Modeller got it wrong on the cover and yes, indeed it is 4mm scale, 00 gauge.

It was an enjoyable build. As i expect you read the layout had its own history.

Colin.