Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

• RMweb Premium

I hear the A2s were at Warley today, in all liveries! blink.gif

I don't surpose anyone has any pictures?

I too would like to see the A2 model if it was there.

I took these at Warley. Sorry they are not clearer. The glass was giving strange reflections (Thats my excuse and I am sticking with it)

post-7289-12610979045995_thumb.jpg

post-7289-12610980444984_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention. I was told by the Bachmann Rep should be in the shops by Easter 2010

• RMweb Premium

ARe these the Bachmann's models or DJH kits to give us a taster? From the photos they have a certain kit built look to them.

They looked like Bachmann models to me. I am/was 2/3 of the way through building a DJH model and the kit is not as good as the one on display at Warley. But I may be wrong.wink.gif

Guest Max Stafford

Good things come to those who wait. Wouldn't you rather they took the time to get everything just right? :) After all, the modern boys are still waiting for their autoballasters and the lengthy wait for the 4 CEP has proved fully justified! :icon_thumbsup2:

Dave.

If your all so desperate go on ebay and look for a DJH A2 Built to the same sort of standard that we are all expecting from Bachmann and if your wallet can afford it buy it but its LIKELY TO COST YOU AT LEAST ABOUT ??200.

Well said Derek! :)

I don't think a few extra months is going to hurt to wait, surely? Gives me some time to make some money after Xmas shopping at any rate...

...good things come to he who waits.. ;)

Guest TomTank

I certainly don't mind the wait, the locos look stunning and this rate I can save up for more than more, now with my mood for early nationalization, I think AH Peppercorn and Tudor Minstrel both in Apple Green are a must!!!

Bravo to Bachmann though, both models look stunning, absolutely stunning! :icon_clap:

Bit harsh "LIKELY TO COST YOU AT LEAST ABOUT ??200."

Er I don't mind the wait either - I'm surprised as I've had varying comments from retailers and a rep that it been due sinc last last october. I've already built two DJH and a PDK

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought you would be very lucky to get a kit built A2 for ??200. I appreciate that unfortunately the second hand value of a kit built loco is aways far less than one paid for it :( , but as a good professional would want about ??600 for building one, plus a paint job on top of that, ??200 would be to say the least a bargain. In fact, I reckon it would not be far off the cost of the kit plus wheels motor and gears!

People really should try to keep a sense of perspective. Will the Bachmann A2 when it emerges look as good as my professionally built DJH one? I bet it will. Will it run as well? I suspect it will run better. And I will be able if I wish to afford about five of them for the same cost as one from DJH. Not of course that I shall be getting five. Even for me that would be a bit excessive, especially as most of them were as rare as hen's teeth on the southern part of the ECML.

• Like 1

"As rare as Hens Teeth" they may well have been,I do agree,although I often saw 60526,60536 and 60539 at Grantham in the 1958-1961 period and dear old 60533 made us very Happy Knights on far too many occassions until we realised it was not 60532 Blue Peter coming into view. More likely to see John & Shep from the BBC. Being pretty quick on the uptake I have JUST realised that SHEP probably never took his name from an old Jim Reeves Sad song about a mans dog,but, from the fact that the Blue Peter Garden was at SHEPherds Bush near to the Television Centre at White City.

WELL I WILL BE 63 IN 48 HOURS TIME SO GO GENTLY ON ME.

Merry Xmas to one and all.

• RMweb Premium

"As rare as Hens Teeth" they may well have been,I do agree,although I often saw 60526,60536 and 60539 at Grantham in the 1958-1961 period and dear old 60533 made us very Happy Knights on far too many occassions until we realised it was not 60532 Blue Peter coming into view. More likely to see John & Shep from the BBC. Being pretty quick on the uptake I have JUST realised that SHEP probably never took his name from an old Jim Reeves Sad song about a mans dog,but, from the fact that the Blue Peter Garden was at SHEPherds Bush near to the Television Centre at White City.

WELL I WILL BE 63 IN 48 HOURS TIME SO GO GENTLY ON ME.

Merry Xmas to one and all.

538 rather than 536 I think Derek? 536 was a very rare beast - in fact one of the very few pacifics I never saw. As for the Knight, it may have been happy, but the sheds that got it never seemed to be. It just seemed to get passed on to someone else as soon as possible. Could it be that it wasn't a very good loco? I would love to know more about things like this. Surely it is long enough now for those who are still around with personal knowledge to spill the beans? For example, it has been said often enough that 60010 was a very poor A4 till it got a kylchap. What other black sheep were there I wonder? And, as we are told that after a few years every loco had very few of its original parts left, isn't it surprising that they would continue to be poor locos for many years? Can anyone shed some light on this?

And as for going gently on you because you are nearly 63, why should we be kind to mere youngsters? ;)

The simple answer to differences in performance between locomotives built to the same design, is quite straightforward in principle: there is variance in every aspect of the constructional technique of any physical product, even one made using precision machine tools or vacuum deposition of dopants; and on steam locomotives which were largely hand crafted the variation can be significant.

A few areas which have been proven to be highly sensitive to small differences in construction: firebox airflow through dampers, ashpans and grates, steam flow through the multiple joints in the steam circuit, airtightness of the smokebox and blast pipe and petticoat arrangement, timing and precision of valve gear setting. Much of this was done by hand work with little in the way of precision tools. A loco that happened to get a heavy dose of 'less effective' differences would end up sluggish or shy for steam compared with the norm for the class. It would be expected that the mixing of components by general overhauls would in time spread out the 'bad news' among the class; and I have seen references to locos coming back from general overhaul with not quite the 'sparkle' expected, based on their performance prior.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The simple answer to differences in performance between locomotives built to the same design, is quite straightforward in principle: there is variance in every aspect of the constructional technique of any physical product, even one made using precision machine tools or vacuum deposition of dopants; and on steam locomotives which were largely hand crafted the variation can be significant.

A few areas which have been proven to be highly sensitive to small differences in construction: firebox airflow through dampers, ashpans and grates, steam flow through the multiple joints in the steam circuit, airtightness of the smokebox and blast pipe and petticoat arrangement, timing and precision of valve gear setting. Much of this was done by hand work with little in the way of precision tools. A loco that happened to get a heavy dose of 'less effective' differences would end up sluggish or shy for steam compared with the norm for the class. It would be expected that the mixing of components by general overhauls would in time spread out the 'bad news' among the class; and I have seen references to locos coming back from general overhaul with not quite the 'sparkle' expected, based on their performance prior.

Thanks Paul, that makes things much clearer :) I hadn't thought about how many small things had to be done manually which could affect performance so greatly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be expected that the mixing of components by general overhauls would in time spread out the 'bad news' among the class.

The only major items to be mixed about at overhauls would be the boilers. All the mechanical gubbins was supposed to stay with the same loco throughout. All the motion parts were stamped with their individual loco number. That was the method used to identify locos when going round Barry scrapyard c1970. Not necessarily foolproof though as even the Gas Works Railway got things mixed up occasionally.

Duke of Gloucester is the classic case of inferior air flow through the ashpan giving less than sparkling performance in BR service.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Bachmann have now given a date of release for the A2s

July/August, ironically pretty much dead on two years from when it was first announced.

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=3

No pictures yet, but looking forward to it. As has been said much better Bachmann take there time and we get a stunning set of locos :)

curiously Blue Peter is no langer listed...

Does that mean it should be about 30 deg forward of where it is in the picture then?

Dave.

Sorry Max, I should have replied to your question earlier (much earlier!). Yes, you are correct. When the coupling rods are at the bottom, the return crank should lean forwards not backwards as shown. Many manufacturers seem to get it wrong on one side or t'other so that the cranks lean to the left (or right) on both sides.

Richard