Martin's modifications - tales from the dining room table, blue era locos, Lots of Mark 2s Airfix conversions

MJI

• RMweb Premium

Roof vents on the 2, will be doing door edges next MJT scallop, They are the correct type

post-14686-0-48758300-1402241542_thumb.jpg

2B chassis with buffers and roof vents, T is for toilet

post-14686-0-63990600-1402241543_thumb.jpg

Smoothing the side for the frames

post-14686-0-42308000-1402241544_thumb.jpg

I have been pushing 2C frames so I really hope he does them or I will be stuffed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Latest update

The 2 or 2a TSO (not sure which yet) just need the door hinges added on one side and the foot boards reinstated

The 2b TSO is waiting patiently

The 2c TSO needs a few holes drilling

The 2c BSO still needs more sanding and hinge reinstatement.

I am still waiting on etched frames and if I do not hear anything soon I will need to contact a few etchers for quotes.

you should go check out acg_mr s Bakewell.....he is doing interiors at the moment.....

with a respectable no of posts I am sure you have seen Newbryford yellow workbench...but he updates the outside of rolling  stock.

I'll pop a link to here.....from both....

Als/acg_mr Bakewell

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64977-bakewell-peak-district-line-br-hachette-murderer/page-83&do=findComment&comment=1509984

Newbryford mostly yellow workbench

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53157-newbryfords-mostly-yellow-workbench/&do=findComment&comment=631639

hope you find them of interest.

• RMweb Premium

Well the BSO is coming along well, three joins to redo.

I used grey primer than filler primer and it all looks good.

The joins are not good on the bottom edge, so I dug out any filler and used molten plastic to fill it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

BSO is currently being sprayed with plastic primer then sanded, now just a few small marks then it will be ready for frames.

I am still waiting on the commercial etches of frames, but I have not heard anything from them in a month or so, I am now investigating getting some etched so will be asking around for good close up pictures of Mark 2 window frames.

• RMweb Premium

Well THAT is NOT FAIR

I had the 2C TSO and BSO sitting on the barbeque being primed, when a gust of wind pushed the BSO on the floor.

3 side joins split :no2: :cry:

3 joins carved out with a carving tool and filled with a glue plastic mix.

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I hoped to get a picture done today as well

• RMweb Premium

Well the stick back together is coming along OK, but I am now working on the 2a and 2b TSO chassis.

Both have had their battery boxes removed, both are poor representations, I have some brass ones which will do, if I add the brackets on.

Position Lima is well out, Hornby is not bad.

• RMweb Premium

BSO

post-14686-0-89777600-1407687399_thumb.jpg

post-14686-0-61402700-1407687521_thumb.jpg

2C TSO - will be the first to have its body completed read below

post-14686-0-04198300-1407687558_thumb.jpg

2B TSO

post-14686-0-38580400-1407687604_thumb.jpg

I have found a supply of ordinary Mark2 windows as fitted to 2 2a 2b 2c for the normal windows. I have also obtained 3 sets of toilet windows for 2C.

So the 2C TSO should be finished first, the BSO will need brake windows and the 2B and 2A toilet windows.

So a Lima 2B FK will volunteer to be a 2C FO

• Like 3

Hi Martin,

Good to see the old Lima bodies getting a new lease of life, i still find them useful, although some of them can be rather brittle and crack, but glue will fix that. I have done heaps of conversions, including using the Southern Pride conversions, but the latter are rather hard work and their 2C BSO is a complete no-no and very inaccurate. Here's one i made into an early 2C FK, just using the Lima plastic. Don't forget, Lima made their 2B using 2A dimensions, so it's a bit short for 2B and 2C, but fine for 2 and 2A. You can make quite a nice 2 or 2A TSO with centre doors from a 2B TSO, apart from plenty of chopping, you have to convert the two blank panels into a third set of doors and alter the other doors to narrow style, i only ever made two and that was enough for me. This one is stretched using 40 thou plasticard outside the door windows, you can see the door is slightly longer. The bodies are cheap enough to buy, in fact the replacement wheels on this FK cost more than the body! You'll notice the bogies are turned around.

Cheers, Brian.

post-298-0-06040300-1407796900.jpg

post-298-0-71863900-1407796918.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I do that to all Lima B4s

Those windows are effective.

I am not too bothered about the shortness as it is only a couple of mm and TBH I need to work out where I would insert it. But I may have ago for any more as I can use the same technique as I used for the BSO.

2 and 2a I am using mainly Hornby with some Bachmann, I will need a few sets so not too bothered about mixing.

They are starting to increase in value now, this does surprise me, but am I denying collectors to increase my Mark2 collection?

I am currently on the hunt for a few more Airfix 2Ds as I have run out of FOs, 1 is WR FK another WR or MR 2F and the other will become a BKF.

I need another to go with E1883 as well as another 47, I have enough TSOs for now, I bought 8 new a LONG time ago.

• RMweb Premium

Just had delivery of some etched Mark 2 windows and they are all 1.5mm too deep!

aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear of the etches error, how very annoying. If of interest, the windows on my 2C FK were done the hard way, just cut and filed from clear sheet, with the help of a small guillotine. You might spot a very small gap by the nearest orange curtain, the outside frame is the original Lima with the middle cut out. The new glazing bars are drawn-on using a bow pen, i think i'll make them slightly thicker on the next coach. The body has also been rebuilt, the roof is now permanently fixed to the body, the interior and chassis now  drop out. The ends have been stretched out with 1mm/40thou plasticard and 1mm has also been shaved off the bottom of the body, the Lima is a bit too deep in the belly. Not wishing to crowd out or hijack your thread, but here are two more pics of my 2C FK, showing the body stretch and the chassis dropped out, i never bothered to stretch the chassis.   BK

post-298-0-31819000-1407877727.jpg

post-298-0-25322400-1407877748.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The windows are from NNK so I will see what their returns policy is and keep hassling the person who promised them originally.

The frames should be about 13mm from top to bottom, these are 14.5mm.

I would get some etched off my own back if I had accurate dimensions, but you can't find a Mark 2 at your local station any more sadly.

It is so annoying! My plans are dashed

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My two Mark 2C coaches

post-14686-0-19125800-1409479564_thumb.jpg

The TSO with new toilets

post-14686-0-57622100-1409479564_thumb.jpg

A close up

post-14686-0-15355100-1409479565_thumb.jpg

The BSO, just a little sanding and another coat of primer, then frame time

Hurry up EE pelase

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My next project is a full brake project - this involves two vehicles.

Recognise what this was?

post-14686-0-69273600-1409479774_thumb.jpg

And I have these, bought them by accident so I MAY sell this finished vehicle

post-14686-0-24258900-1409479775_thumb.jpg

And its replacement, will be an Eastern region one running with a few 2Ds and the Bar car, only have the actual 47 to go now.

post-14686-0-80106900-1409479775_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The 4 Mark 2s are stalled at present so I am working on a few other vehicles.

1106 donor is nearly stripped down

2D FO is awaiting laserglaze and frames ordered today

The BG is now on B4s

• RMweb Premium

Well this is a pain but

E1106 I can only do the sides then stuck due to lack of pictures

Mark 2s lack of window etches

DMU bored so doing something else but done one front side window resize.

2D FK is next in the works

• Like 1