Martin's modifications - tales from the dining room table, blue era locos, Lots of Mark 2s Airfix conversions

MJI

• RMweb Premium

Well I now have a small pile of Airfix 2Ds to work on while waiting on Brian at EE

FO to FK

BSO & FO to BFK and half a 2E TSO

found one warped chassis for the scrap pile, another coach has a missing bogie, I will be losing one vehicle while chopping as 2xFO + 2xBSO = 2xBFK and 1 x 2E TSO

Extreme etching frames and Laserglaze.

Issues I have found.

1) Door grab handles in wrong position

2) Door handles just under 0.5mm too high.

3) End handrails and brake handrails are poor

4) Window frames not great

5) Glazing a touch too dark

so a FO or TSO requires 22 holes to be drilled.

It will cost approximately £20 per carriage to detail

Eventual plans are 2 FKs, 2 BFKs, 4 2D TSOs, 5 2E TSOs, 1 2F FO, 2 BSOs all from Airfix 2Ds

• RMweb Premium

Well I found my old low voltage mini drill - it has a smaller chuck than my Wizard

End holes and roof holes nicely drilled. Will now make a stand for the coach body to drill grab handle holes in correct height.

Also may get the enthusiam back for the last 5 Lima DMU vehicles I need to do, got bored after 10. Will be drill on table and vehicle body raised to match.

Found my last Ebay grab was 3 BSO and 4 FO, will give me a FK, 2 BFK, a 2E TSO and a spare FO and BSO

• RMweb Premium

Well I made a simple jig up.

A few flat pieces of plastic card and the drill was the correct height for the various holes.

To be FK done and the two donors

Next job will besawing the BSO in half and removing part of the FO donor sides

• RMweb Premium

The FK is to be an Eastern region one and is a model of a coach regularly in the same rake as E1883.

The BFK will be Western region.

The other brake section is now setting and should be fitted in the next day or so.

I hope to start fitting the etched frames to the FK very soon.

Unfortunately unless we have a warm Christmas everything will be primer only until the spring.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

FK frames are on, they look good.

BFK is being smoothed ready for frames.

Done the fan(s) (need embarrased icon)

Hope to be at Warley and I will be annoying a certain person there with my 2ABC bodies until I get the window frames!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

First is the FK to be E13584, this is the first in my Eastern Region 2D set, for NESW services, ths will go with a Replica BG on B4s a couple of 2D TSOs (1 ready to do) and E1883, then I need another 47

post-14686-0-66578900-1417278748_thumb.jpg

post-14686-0-06220600-1417278762_thumb.jpg

This will be a Western region BFK

post-14686-0-95607900-1417278734_thumb.jpg

post-14686-0-13383600-1417278728_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well as you can see 99% complete, just need to paint the water pipes, a little bit of red touchup and a few transfers

attachicon.gifbar1.JPG

attachicon.gifbar2.JPG

So how many models of this unique coach are there out there?

I've got one and the Booth Car, neither are finished yet and may well be rebuilt using an alternate base coach. Currently they are built around Mainline Mk1's.

Cheers

Shane

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Triedput my new airbrush today, Iwata

Clogged big time!

Managed 3 roofs 2B and 2C

Grey on 3 2Ds and.......

The paint shows every defect, frames slightly not level, so all 3 2Ds need remedial work

• RMweb Premium

Where did you get the roof details, toilet window and vents from please?

Vents MJT and Southern Pride

Windows a chap who converted Bachman 2As to 2Cs

• RMweb Premium

Do you know if they're available to purchase? I've decided I want to bash some Lima Mk2Bs and those would be ideal.

No, I had the last 3

But Extreme Etchings are supposed to be doing some mark 2 frames so ask them next week when they are back from their time off

No, I had the last 3

But Extreme Etchings are supposed to be doing some mark 2 frames so ask them next week when they are back from their time off

Lol my concern there is price - a lot of their detailing parts are more expensive than the coaches they'll be used on! If I was convinced I could get a good result I wouldn't mind the cost so much, but this will be my first attempt at coach conversions, so the cheaper the better. 

Edited by sub39h

• RMweb Premium

Lol my concern there is price - a lot of their detailing parts are more expensive than the coaches they'll be used on! If I was convinced I could get a good result I wouldn't mind the cost so much, but this will be my first attempt at coach conversions, so the cheaper the better. 

I am spending about £20 per 2D to upgrade them. There are no other 2D models so to me it is worth it.

2B Lima only so you have to spend to make them look good, possible to cut and shut Mk2 Bachmanns, but frames on Lima should do.

There are 3 families of Mark 2s

Early

Wrap round doors

Aircons

Not including conversions such as DBSO there are I think 37 Mark 2 designs. Doubled up 2C due to toilets.

Thanks, I've been doing a lot of reading about the Mk2s and have invested in Michael Harris' book on the subject. (Stupidly it cost less for me to get a copy of that book from Amazon Germany including postage than it did to get it from Amazon UK!) I think I've managed to get around most of the detail differences behind this supposedly "standard" design! 

I've stockpiled a few cheap Bachmann Mk2 brake coaches and FKs which are going to lend their roofs and chassis (suitably altered) to the Lima coaches. I'm planning on trimming down the extra height at the bottom of the Lima body, removing the paint guide line on the body and then attaching the Bachmann chassis. The Bachmann roof goes straight on once they're trimmed by about 2mm at either end. I'll probably use as much of the Bachmann glazing as I can as well. Any left over I was planning on using SE Finecast glazing which seems acceptable to me based on photos I've seen.

As I mentioned this is all very experimental so the less money I can spend the better. If I can get a convincing result I may consider Shawplan parts in the future. No doubt they are going to be high quality, but you pay for that quality! It would be wasted on before I got some practice in first. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I've been doing a lot of reading about the Mk2s and have invested in Michael Harris' book on the subject. (Stupidly it cost less for me to get a copy of that book from Amazon Germany including postage than it did to get it from Amazon UK!) I think I've managed to get around most of the detail differences behind this supposedly "standard" design! 

I've stockpiled a few cheap Bachmann Mk2 brake coaches and FKs which are going to lend their roofs and chassis (suitably altered) to the Lima coaches. I'm planning on trimming down the extra height at the bottom of the Lima body, removing the paint guide line on the body and then attaching the Bachmann chassis. The Bachmann roof goes straight on once they're trimmed by about 2mm at either end. I'll probably use as much of the Bachmann glazing as I can as well. Any left over I was planning on using SE Finecast glazing which seems acceptable to me based on photos I've seen.

As I mentioned this is all very experimental so the less money I can spend the better. If I can get a convincing result I may consider Shawplan parts in the future. No doubt they are going to be high quality, but you pay for that quality! It would be wasted on before I got some practice in first. 

If you have the Bachmann vehicles, probably better chopping them into 2B or 2C rather than use Lima. Main differences is doors

• RMweb Premium

Well I now have my 2Z-B Widow frames, the Lima window apertures are much smaller so will require a good filing.

Hope to have some frames on by tomorrow

Doing my 2C BSO first, then a 2B TSO

If good I will order enough for the rest of my Lima 2B fleet.

Remember 2Z-B Widow frames

• RMweb Premium

Done one side of filing, still have to finish the other before sticking the frames on, hope to manage it sometime mid week

2C BSO first, 2B TSO next

• RMweb Premium

post-14686-0-88250600-1429954203_thumb.jpg

Extreme Etchings 2_ABC frames, note the seperate sliding vents

post-14686-0-60318600-1429954211.jpg

Brake frames

post-14686-0-00904200-1429954216_thumb.jpg

What does it look like?

post-14686-0-06485000-1429954223_thumb.jpg

Dry fit

post-14686-0-11741500-1429954229_thumb.jpg

The previous ones were too big, should I identify the seller?

post-14686-0-90316700-1429954235_thumb.jpg

Too much work to cut down, Ebay them I think

post-14686-0-21956600-1429954242_thumb.jpg

First two fitted, ready for super glue

• Like 1