Industrivej - Danish industrial sidings in the 90's

doctor quinn

Hi Everyone,

I thought it's time to introduce my current layout project - "Industrivej" (Industry Way). i've wanted to build a Danish layout for a few years and I've been building and acquiring stock for a while.

It's inspired by Allan Støvring-Nielsen's series of photo albums about goods traffic in Denmark "Med Gods På Krogen" and based on several industrial areas that are illustrated in the books.

In my imagination it represents an industrial area on port land, close to the docks but without an actual waterfront on the bit I'm modelling. Below is  a "Google Earth" style shot to show the track plan.

post-7218-0-83893600-1398369799_thumb.jpg

Unfortuantely my photo-editing software wouldn't let me add labels to the photo but from the top left of the plan the first siding serves a metal recyclers(scrap yard). Moving to the right of that the siding at the top of the picture will serve a large modern warehouse and the "kick-back" road at the bottomwill serve an animal feeds silo.

Hope to keep fairly regular updates going if anyone is interested, though I keep forgeting to take progrees photos of things I do!

Nick

• Like 15

Hi Nick,

Nice introduction to your project, it is a nice plan with plenty of operating potential. I have had a longstanding interest in Danish railways (and Denmark in general!) so will be looking forward to seeing this develop.

Couple of questions if I may... What is the size of the layout? Is the layout set anywhere in particular?

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

Thanks for that, the scenic section is 1.5m x .39m or 59" x 15.5". I wanted the scenic section to be on one board.

It's probably inspired mostly by Esbjerg, Aarhus & Odense as they have quite large industrial areas inland from the actual docks.

Nick

Hi David,

Thanks for that, the scenic section is 1.5m x .39m or 59" x 15.5". I wanted the scenic section to be on one board.

It's probably inspired mostly by Esbjerg, Aarhus & Odense as they have quite large industrial areas inland from the actual docks.

Nick

Thanks for your reply Nick, it is very useful. I find Esbjerg a very interesting place so I will be following closely!

What class of locos do you intend to use on the layout?  

Hi David

I have a Tikob Hobby/Roco Mh, an Mx and a Roco My that I kitbashed into a "Miljorenoviert" loco that are all ready, there's also a Tikob/Athearn Mz IV and a Heljan My that will need finishing..

The Mh has a Tikob Hobby resin body shell on a shortened Roco V60 chassis and (British) MJT buffers.

post-7218-0-53198500-1398718608.jpg

The My is a Roco one that came in the fictional Soundtraxx colour scheme, I got it off eBay cheaply as someone had had the sound chip out of it. I fitted a scratchbuilt  exhauts silencer, electical ducts along the cant rail and Freya Model shunter's platforms

post-7218-0-70397500-1398718729.jpg

Both are painted with Tamiya acrylics and lettered with KM-Text decals

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 12

Thanks for sharing those pictures Nick. Absolutely love the Mh, probably my favourite Danish locos. Is it a widely available kit and was the chassis shortening job a difficult one?

Thanks,

David

Once again thanks for the encouragement.

The Mh body is still available from Togdillen in Copenhagen http://www.modeltog.dk/catalog/index.php?cPath=228_394

I don't think it's a very good seller since the Hobby Trade RTR one came out. The chassis modifications are not too difficult if you're OK with a hacksaw (chassis) and razor saw (for the PC Board). They used to do the Henschel version too, but Hobby Trade do that as well.

I've made some progress on the scenery; looking form the left hand end we see the metals recycler (Stena)

post-7218-0-56556900-1399293781_thumb.jpg

and towards the right hand side the silos and a non-rail served premises kitbashed for a Pola goods shed.

post-7218-0-87372500-1399293791_thumb.jpg

Nick

• Like 9

Thanks Dave,

As I hinted in the opening post I'm not very good at getting around to posting photos so i've made a bit more progress since those, pics to follow when the glue is dry!

Nick

A little more progress, I've been doing ground cover, working from the back corners. the "soil" is the dust out of a wheel type tile cutter dried. Foliage is mainly static grass applied with my pound shop applicator and a little Woodland Scenics ground foam.

post-7218-0-93656700-1400612205.jpg

post-7218-0-31082400-1400612233.jpg

post-7218-0-21753500-1400612254.jpg

The last two are a bit dark - I tried relying on just the lighting rig, while it's light enough for viewing, it's not bright enough for pictures. The carriageway and footway aren't fixed yet so the kerb is bowed.

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 6

This week's progress has been on the metals recycler which has acquired a scrap conveyor from the well known materials handling equipment Walthers Inc of Milwaukee.

post-7218-0-54674600-1401217803.jpg

As you can see the guys in the yard have lost not time in making use of it.

post-7218-0-33562000-1401217848.jpg

I doubt that nice clean hard-standing will stay that way for long.

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

Thanks, the Eaos and the tanker in the pictures do have RP25 and I plan to change the other stock for the layout. As I've used Peco code 75 and kept flange ways on level crossings on the generous side, I shouldn't have to commit to rewheeling locos.

Nick

• Like 1

Heljan and Roco locos have reasonable flanges, and I don't fancy rewheeling a 6 coupled chassis on the Mh. If I get any old school Lima, I'll rethink.

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

• 1 month later...

Two months since the last update, I've progressed the paved areas and the animal feed silo. i decided to move the unloading point to the left hand end of the silos which adds visual interest but did mean I had to make a new elevator tower as the one one wasn't wide enough to look right.

post-7218-0-44238700-1406397106_thumb.jpg

The elevator tower is a styrene wrapper around a wood core, it stll needs painting but I'm happy with it. It reaches up behind the lighting rig so the top can't be seen.

post-7218-0-67310000-1406397386_thumb.jpg

The paving isn't complete yet, nor is the drop pit but I have cut out the paving to accomodate it.

Nick

• Like 9

Heljan and Roco locos have reasonable flanges, and I don't fancy rewheeling a 6 coupled chassis on the Mh. If I get any old school Lima, I'll rethink.

Nick

Did some experimenting, haven't got hold of any wagon wheels yet, but whereas Roco older wheels ride up in the shallow flange ways of Peco code 83, the wheels on my Rocky Rail MaK don't appear to. Code 75 avoids the problem, but I quite like the heavy look of code 83 for main lines.

As mentioned elsewhere I seem to have acquired a Lint 41, in the Danish Arriva livery. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm toying with the thought that I might build a generic Nord See facing layout, that might suit my Dutch, German and Any future Danish stock. Is there any wagonload freight left in Denmark now, or is it all DBS through haul? Ponder, ponder...

Nice. Like the idea. I have a HO scale MT and a sound fitted MZ (my favourite Danish locos) from a company called Hobbytrade in red/grey boxes. They need something like this for a run out! What's the market like for locos in the Red/black era (again my fave). What's the most accurate and detailed brand to look out for?

Edited by Igor

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

Jon, there was still some freight originating and terminating in Denmark when I went there in 2012. Koppers at Nyborg was still despatching bitumen tanks in thres and fours  Aalborg Portland still loaded cement, I think. New cars are still handled to Vamdrup as far as I know - I was watching a YouTube video yesterday of the loco change at Tonder. You're right though wagon load has dropped off markedly.

What there is of local (i.e. Danish) traffic is often handled by open-access operatrs like CFL Denmark, the Koppers traffic was, although at least some of it looked to be handed over at Nyborg station to DBS.

I'm surpsised that Roco wheels don't like code 83, could it be the flanges are too wide for the flangeways?

Igor, as regards what brands to look for, it's much the same as any other European models. I have Roco and Heljan class My and there's nothing really to chose between them - they run well and look good.

Only Heljan make the lightweight class Mx, mine is my best runner, even better than Roco!

Togmodelle made very nice models of both types of Mh.

Lima used to do the Mz I and the MR dmu, both had nice mould work let down by 3 pole pancake motors and huge flanges. Modern versions of the MR from Rivarossi would be lovely, especailly as the number of possible liveries has at least doubled since Lima made them

Rivarossi do a very nice Breuer tractor for that minimum space brewey layout!

The only things to watch out for are;

Fleischmann My which I don't think looks right, the front skirts are attached to the bogies too.

All the ready to run Kofs in DSB livery that I've seen are reliveried German ones  - the DSB ones were markedly different.

I've also seen a green Roco "Mt" which is actaully a reliveried DB class 290; I believe it was done for Danish trainsets as was a DB V160 in red/black.

The best thing I can recommend is to take a look at http://www.jernbanen.dk/ for inspiration, I'll sign off with a "work in progress" shot of the silo.

post-7218-0-64496300-1407183391.jpg

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 4

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

Jon, there was still some freight originating and terminating in Denmark when I went there in 2012. Koppers at Nyborg was still despatching bitumen tanks in thres and fours Aalborg Portland still loaded cement, I think. New cars are still handled to Vamdrup as far as I know - I was watching a YouTube video yesterday of the loco change at Tonder. You're right though wagon load has dropped off markedly.

What there is of local (i.e. Danish) traffic is often handled by open-access operatrs like CFL Denmark, the Koppers traffic was, although at least some of it looked to be handed over at Nyborg station to DBS.

That's what I suspected. The CFL Nohabs look rather smart! However thanks for the suggested locations, I'll go search.

I'm surpsised that Roco wheels don't like code 83, could it be the flanges are too wide for the flangeways?

I think the peco code 83 us points have shallow flangeways which allow RP25 wheels to run on the edge of the flange, thus avoiding drop in with RP25-88 wheels, but it means the marginally deeper flanges on NEM stock climb up. This isn't a problem with regular streamline, either code 75 or 100, where it seems the flangeways are deeper. B2B and flange widths don't seem to be a problem. I guess Tillig would be a solution, but I think I'll probably stick to code 75.

I'll sign off with a "work in progress" shot of the silo.

attachicon.gifSilo on bench.JPG

Nick

Coming along nicely.

(Edited for stupid autoincorrect)

Edited by Jon Gwinnett

Hi Nick,

Continuing to follow your progress with interest, I am hoping to have a trip to Denmark later in the year and your little layout keeps prodding me to sort it out! Thanks for your informative info about models available... oh how I'd love an MH class... Can I justify it... hmmm.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

David

Thanks for the kind words guys. Today's little project, fitted in around the usual Saturday stuff, was a set of hopper discharge grates for the silos.

post-7218-0-93440500-1407609366_thumb.jpg

They're made from Evergreen 1.5mm angle with 0.25mm x 4mm strip to add depth, the bars are 0.3mm handrail wire. The guy from the silos seems to like them. (So much he's not noticed he's standing in something.)

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 6