Industrivej - Danish industrial sidings in the 90's

doctor quinn

A little more progress, Industrivej has been taken down temporarily while we have some building work done but I have not been idle; the last major building was the warehouse at the back which I've now built.

post-7218-0-96732100-1411926012.jpg

I used a combination of parts from two Pikestuff kits, it's surprising how different they look if you don't paint them pale blue. The plastic curtain is a polythene envelope that once contained detailing parts cut into strips.

Nick

• Like 5

Going back to the woodwork, did you use a sheet of bendy MDF cut down the middle for the backscene..? I like the flowing curve it gives, but takes up a lot more space where other box layouts I've seen have quite a tight radius but still manage to hide the corner whilst allowing more useable space.

Edited by 298

• 2 months later...

Time for an update, this weekend's little project was soldering up a pair of gates for the metals recycler, I now have to obtain some fine mesh to keep intruders out.

post-7218-0-25236600-1419195490.jpg

The animal feeds silo has gained some details, the wagon is a project that I'm working on. It is a Uds type covered hopper, 20 were converted from second-hand DB open hoppers in 1991-92   http://jernbanen.dk/dsb_gvogn.php?Aar=1965&litra=Uds&typenr=2

post-7218-0-09719000-1419195690.jpg

Nick

• Like 12

It's been little too chilly in the garage to work on Industrivej but I have made progess on the hopper tops for the Uds wagongs;

post-7218-0-24620800-1419885891.jpg

Now I need to add the loading hatches and obtain a couple more Roco hoppers to base further conversions on. Oh, and fix the tops down more firmly so there are no gaps

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 5

Hi Nick,

Can only echo the thoughts of Jon above, really enjoy seeing updates on this. It is a lovely little layout of a prototype I have a lot of interest in and I look forward to following the progress in the new year.

David

• 3 weeks later...

I manged to source some suitable material for the mesh on the gates - it's silver- grey tulle.

post-7218-0-42999800-1421784130.jpg

Mind you, as it came on a 3 metre roll, 150mm wide; lets just say Area 51 is a possiblility for the next venture.

Nick

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Since the last post I've been busy with helping to put on the Nottingham show and preparing the club North American layout which slowed progress on Industrivej, now that's out of the way for another year I'm back working on the layout and I've made a start on detailing.

Starting with the metals recycler - the shredded scrap is shredded aluminium foil, it still needs painting as it's far too shiny.

post-7218-0-59572600-1429811461.jpg

The pallets, drums etc. are from my stash of ratio and Heljan detailing bits acquired over the years from shows and swapmeets.

post-7218-0-40913200-1429811473.jpg

The Ratio Europallets are probably a bit big as they're 4mm but they are very fine mouldings

post-7218-0-41515800-1429811484.jpg

Next up some wildlife - Dart castings rabbits and "Seagulls" (I think they're meant to be crows)

post-7218-0-42280100-1429811500.jpg

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The rabbits have taken up residence on the vacant land near the DLG terminal

post-7218-0-18269200-1431591963.jpg

and the seagulls have started to move in from the harbour - it must be rough at sea!

post-7218-0-20559200-1431591700.jpg

I've also made some progress on the Uds hopper wagon kitbash, I'm happy enough with progress that I've ordered decals from Skilteskoven who now take PayPal.

post-7218-0-06883800-1431591912.jpg

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Since the last update I have mostly been modelling scrap handling equipment, I started these two projects as I thoight there may be a delay waiting for the decals for the Uds wagons but they arrived in four days!

First up a Volvo N10 with roll-off container, the cab is from an old Wiking model I picked up years ago, grafted onto a Praline dumptruck chassis. The container is scratchbuilt using dimensions found on the internet.

post-7218-0-32853800-1432662421.jpg

Next is a Lieberr 934 materials handler by Kibri, I have built it in subassemblies so that I can airbrush it. With careful masking it should still be posable.

post-7218-0-02591400-1432662553.jpg

It should look like this when it's finished

post-7218-0-07264600-1432662676.jpg

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 4

I like your Dansk modul. It's something different to see. You've got an Mh engine.

I would recomment to buy also the MT from Hobbytrade. It's a typical engine for

Danmark and shunting. At Kystbane you can also buy MCK wagons.

Use Google to see what i mean.

I made a Dansk modul myself in 2013, and showed it at On traXs 2014.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn8Aum90Ljg

I'm lookin forward to see more of your layout.

Mvh Steef

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The rabbits have taken up residence on the vacant land near the DLG terminal

attachicon.gifRabbits!.JPG

and the seagulls have started to move in from the harbour - it must be rough at sea!

attachicon.gifSeagull.JPG

I've also made some progress on the Uds hopper wagon kitbash, I'm happy enough with progress that I've ordered decals from Skilteskoven who now take PayPal.

attachicon.gifUds hopper tops web.JPG

Hate to tell you this but we don't have wild rabbits here only hares

Thanks for the information guys, I had not heard of McK Modeller but their website shows an ambitious range, including a number of Hbis vans in various versions - I have a Lima one that I'm in the middle of detailing and repainting of course. 

Steef, your module looks great in the video, can I ask how you made the station buildings?

Thanks for the link to Modelbane Europa, Vitiaen, definitely something to plan for the next visit to Denmark. It looks like I may have to "rebrand" the rabbits as hares! (there are 1.76 scale so probably represent hares better)

Nick

In 2013 my wife and i visit Sdr. Omme to take pictures and measirements from the

station building. So i could start building it. It took me 3 days, then it was finished.

The goodsshed was build using pictures from the book 'Trollhedenbanen'. I had

4 little pictures and on paper the size of the shed. That was all. The potatoshed

is made from one picture. There wasn't more info about it. The whole module

was build in 7,5 month's. The lightsignals come from Togcenter Gentofte, the other

signs are from Skilteskoven.dk. The rest of the details are mostly build from scratch.

Mvh Steef

• 2 weeks later...

Finished assembling the materials handler today, 3 weeks or so - a quick build especially as I substituted TL decals for the rather crude stickers that Kibri include. The operator is a "repurposed" Preiser German fire officer with a hard hat carved out of his original steel helmet

post-7218-0-37122400-1434475670.jpg

I've also painted the N10 roll-off container truck, the driver is another retired German fire officer, this time his hat resembles a flat cap - "Kasket Karl" (Andy Capp) perhaps?

post-7218-0-91915500-1434475972.jpg

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As Steve says, Industrivej will be at Midland RailEx next weekend, so it's been a busy time sorting out all those things I hadn't got round to. One of them was chipping number 401, my kitbuilt Mh shunter which I thought would be harder than it was! Here are a couple of shots of 401 at work.

Pulling a loaded SJ Eaos wagon out of Stena Metall.

post-7218-0-20342600-1439232601.jpg

Deilvering animal feed hoppers to the DLG silo

post-7218-0-84371700-1439232630.jpg

See you there

Nick

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to Steve and the team at Midland RailEx for organising it and to Tony Bennett of the Scandinavian Railway Society for putting together "Den Rode Kirke", we had a lot of interested visitors over the weekend.

I also tried some "ground level" photography at the show, MH 401 shunting Stena

post-7218-0-92433800-1440104566.jpg

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 8