Industrivej - Danish industrial sidings in the 90's

doctor quinn

Nick and I have an arrangement where we test each other's layouts, so I was there on Saturday generally making silly mistakes and failing to answer any questions on or even improve my knowledge of Scandinavian Railways. But here are a few low-res camera phone snaps...:

post-6819-0-07745200-1440187030_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-88634100-1440187070_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-30681000-1440187119_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-04156000-1440187320_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-52240400-1440209286_thumb.jpg

Edited by 298
  • Like 10

Hi Nick, 

I am really enjoying seeing how this is developing, as I've said before I have a big interest in the prototype and think you have done a smashing job on the layout. I hope the exhibition went well and keep the photos coming!!

David

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I last posted, I've been doing a few rolling stock upgrades, first up a Lima Hbis van that I've detailed and repainted. The hand brake wheel, air brake gear and ferry tie downs were missing on the original model so I added them with parts by Wizard Models and Colin Craig, paint is Vaelljo acrylics and decals by Skilteskoven.

post-7218-0-68809700-1445802357.jpg

post-7218-0-69396200-1445802413.jpg

I've also added sound to my Mx, it didn't make an appearance at Midland RailEx as the original chip had failed, it now has an ESU Loksound

post-7218-0-43773600-1445802588.jpg

The next outing is to Weston on Trent organised by Andyram, may see you there.

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Weston on Trent show went well and many thanks to Andyram for organising it, Industrivej was also at the recent European Railways Association show at Bourneville, many thank to Piers Milne and the team for organising that event. I'd also like to thank Andy (298) and Dave (davep101) for playing with my train set so I didn't have to all day.

A lot of people commented on the presentation and I have to thank Alison, my wife for the excellent tailored curtain, which does mean that all my future layouts need to be the same size.

post-7218-0-13779100-1450024730.jpg

And a final random shot of Mz 1414 shunting Stena

post-7218-0-21718300-1450024785.jpg

The next outing for Industrivej is the Nottingham show in March - full details in my signature

Nick

• Like 13

Nick,

As I have said on so many occasions (apologies if it seems like I am being a 'stuck record'!), I love what you've done with the layout and I am really pleased that it is getting outings to exhibitions. Hopefully it will raise the profile and potential of Danish modelling and Denmark in general! I expect it gets a lot of interest with it being such a different prototype? It is nice to see the overall shot of the layout on display, you've done an excellent job of the presentation, it makes such a difference when time and effort is taken in that regard - so thumbs up for the input from your wife!!

My ambition for 2016 is to consolidate and move forward with a tiny Danish project as somewhere to run an Mh and shunt a couple of wagons around... Your layout has given me the inspiration to give it a go!

David

PS love the last shot of the Mz

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 2

Glad you like it, I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of interest in a fairly esoteric subject. If anyone is looking for prototype inspiration I noticed that Franks Stenvalls in Malmo http://www.stenvalls.com/shop/ have the three books in the series  Med Gods På Krogen.

God Jul

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 1

I've just caught up with your thread which has helped revive my interest in European model railways. It's nice to see something a bit different and well presented.

I'm a big fan of small shunting layouts, particularly in industrial settings. I like your use of  the US Pikestuff kits to create the warehouse. The German kit manufacturers don't seem to offer much in the way of modern warehouse type structures.

Your layout has given me some inspiration to have a go at  building a small Continental layout in 2016.

Mal

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting find at Newark swapmeet today, a kit built ex-DSB class P (I think) open wagon. ØSJS is the Østsjællandske Jernbane Selskab (East Zealand Railway Co.) which more recently went by the name Østbanen.

post-7218-0-33051700-1451678422.jpg

By chance I had come across this documentary from 1948 about DSB, mostly filmed around Fredericia 

It's fascinating even without understanding the commentary, although I don't think I'll be doing "Industrivej 1948" anytime soon.

Nick

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, apart from the Volvo N10 skip lorry, the vehicles are from the usual sources - the trick was to avoid flashy "big rigs" and cars that stand out

Indeed, everyday normal vehicles can sometimes be a little difficult to achieve and car parks on layouts can sometimes look like show rooms!

I don't want to detract from your layout thread, the layout creates a very real industrial atmosphere, I hope I get to see at an exhibition one day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This week the DPD courier brought this

post-7218-0-47139600-1456679483.jpg

Etched point levers by Epoke Modeller, I'd been searching for the correct pattern for a while so when i found these I ordered two packs - enough for a future Danish layout too!

I've also been adding loads to the wagons that were lacking them, like this Kbps stake wagon now carrying baled steel scrap

post-7218-0-94582700-1456679818.jpg

And shredded steel loads in these Eaos wagons

post-7218-0-21942500-1456679971.jpg

Nick

• Like 5

Nick,

Can't quite see from the photo which point levers you've got, but I used Epoke Modell levers and lanterns on Obbekaer and they are well worth the finger-singeing fun of putting them together! Since I made the lanterns operational, they seem to be noticed a lot more by the public on the other side of the barrier, and they're actually helpful in confirming to the operators that the points have switched properly.

I like the scrap load on the stake wagon - presumably home made?

Regards,

Geraint

post-6407-0-65038000-1456691612_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Geraint,

I like you point lever with the working lantern, the point levers I have are this type - first one put together with a drill bit acting as a temporary pivot for the lever.

post-7218-0-79673300-1456776002.jpg

From the instructions I think this is an old style ("Gammel") and I suspect the kind you have used on Obbekaer may have been more appropriate

Thanks for the comment about the baled scrap load - it's just strips of aluminium foil pushed into a mould made from scrap wood, I can't claim credit as I saw it in an Eisenbahn Kurier special on wagon loads. I then spayed them randomly with Humbrol Red-Brown and Gunmetal

Here's a shot of a spare one

post-7218-0-74184400-1456776280.jpg

Nick

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations on creating an excellent layout. It is quite nostalgic for me, because I lived in Vamdrup for a year, and used to go and watch the shunting along the small freight branches to the Rockwool factory and the car terminal, as well as watching the mainline trains going to Flensburg.

Your layout captures the atmosphere exactly.

I found a couple of photos - I think I was there a few years before the time when you are modelling. The shunter's livery looks quite old-fashioned.

post-15533-0-36795300-1459960776_thumb.jpg

This was on the branch to the car terminal - I never saw the shunter on the Rockwool line - it must have been whilst I was working.

post-15533-0-02226400-1459960769_thumb.jpg

I think this was just north of Vamdrup.

post-15533-0-75144800-1459960772_thumb.jpg

This was at Lunderskov, at the junction of the lines from Flensburg and Esjberg. Seemed like a really long train for such a small loco.

I wish I'd taken more photos now, but I was pretty skint at the time.

• Like 6