Warley at the NEC 2014, 22nd and 23rd November

Robert Shrives

Dave has stated, yet again, that he has already scanned it, when it was ideally situated during a shed move at Barrow, and will deliver the model in 2015. Hornby are stating they will not come to market with the 71 until 2016 and have not referred to any scanning having been done thus far.

Hornby Stand at Warley has a video of the scans they have taken of the loco.

• RMweb Gold

Warley is an interesting show - huge probably best describes it, gettning close to all the layouts you would like to see on the Saturday definitely describes, and great for meeting folk you might not get to see or talk to otherwise also definitely describes it as does its ability to bring to the fore numerous traders who might otherwise be difficult to reach or see in the flesh.

Usually 'replanned' Sunday train services gave me little choice but to go on the Saturday and I often say 'never again' - but this year I didn't as it was great for meeting and chatting to folk and getting to certain trader types I was very anxious to get to and spend a little money.  But as usual I didn't see all the layouts (apologies to those RMweb folk I missed) but did get to see a part of one which I very much wanted to see (Grantham). :sungum: 

'Chard is quite right about there being some very strange looking folk about - many of them seemed to end up in Hall 5 but alas some of the 'very interesting' looking ones went off to Comic.com, definitely a day for legs out there  :sungum: 

Perhaps Hornby will reply by telling you that your English grammar is very poor.

The purpose of the English language is to communicate with one another. It is not to demonstrate one's superior level of education though I do sometimes wonder about that especially in this country. Perhaps we'd do better to respect than to correct one another.

• RMweb Gold

It is good to know that you are good at everything you do and never make any mistakes. If you would like to help me with my grammar it would be welcome as I do have language problem which I have spent all my life working on. Thanks you for upsetting me

Richard

I take it that you have some form of disability of a dyslexic nature.In which case you show courage in posting here,so don't be deterred by some of the more personal and potentially hurtful comments.

However,it seems from what you posted about your encounter at the Hornby Stand,you do not possess qualities of tact .Thus,you have raised a few eyebrows here.The people you were talking to,including Simon Kohler were working hard at their job and do not deserve negative ear bashing.I know from the short conversation I had with him that they were the recipients of "friendly fire" and you do not have to look hard to find the reasons for that.I too could have criticised.Yesterday was neither the time nor the place,so I chose not to.

If you are miffed by what others have said then perhaps you might consider it's a self-inflicted wound.

• RMweb Premium

I promised myself no more locos, got far too many as it is. But when Dapol are flogging NQP 9Fs for 30 quid, it would be rude not to purchase one. I can't explain why I bought a Dapol Ivatt 2MT tank though!

Had a good day at Warley spent a bit of dosh mainly on a grubby Royal Scot the show was worth visiting some excellent layouts Alloa etc nice to see a few RM Web layouts in the flesh and their owners.Agree about the strange characters wandering around there some other strange hobbies around as well as ours ,was tempted to have a look at the motorbikes due to seeing several rather attractive young ladies wandering around.Thought that Lancaster Green Ayre will be a brilliant one when its finished the chaps are really making headway now thanks for the info from the friendly chap who was out front.The five inch gauge lads certainly made a point the thirty seven was awesome as was the gauge one one good thing was the wider aisles plenty of room and no problem finding a space to view the layouts.But getting to Brum was difficult overslept but still caught my intended train due to running ten minutes down and packed like sardines thank god for first class even if people who should not be there invaded at Coventry .Thanks Warley club for a good day out tiring but worth it.

• RMweb Premium

Gare de Chalon de Saône (pity the operators didn't spend more time communicating with each other!) - It won the Continental Modeller cup.

St Ives

5" gauge GL shunting plank - next best thing to 305mm to the foot!

Black Country Blues - nice to see it in the flesh.

Maristow - Excellent 7mm ex broad gauge terminus with faultless operation.

There were plenty of other good layouts  which I would mention if I could remember the names!

One had a couple of controllers for the little 'uns to load scrap into wagons - it kept them interested and maybe start them on the road to railway modelling

I disliked The Long Line

I paid 3 visits on Saturday with no action at all and 2 on Sunday with a couple of trains just once, IMHO it takes realistic timetabling too far.

- One of trains was only proceeding with help from "the hand of god"!

I found it a little bemusing that quite a few well designed/built layouts suffered badly from running problems, "hand of god etc."  required, when the vintage Hornby Dublo/Triang layouts with 40+ year old equipment ran perfectly!

Thanks to all those who took the time to transport, set up, show and operate their layouts, then dismantle and travel home again.

It's appreciated.

Keith

Chalon de Saone was very impressive - the sheer expanse of the yards is both convincing and rarely modelled. However they were having a few operating glitches when I was looking at it. Leicester S Goods is very impressive - again a sheer expanse of railway , reminding us that much of the railway in its heyday seemed to extend to the horizon

I guessed that the unfinished 7mm Midland layout might be Lancaster , but I overheard someone mention Hellifield and there was no sign saying where it was

... Definitely one to see when its finished. Similarly Grantham - the structure work looked very authentic. Some nice narrow gauge , and I got to go in the Talallyn guards van. Did anyone notice that the loco's chimney isn't on straight?? It leans back very slightly towards the cab. Nice to see the NSR coach  

My feeling about the layouts - with one or two notable exceptions - was ho hum, round and round.  Scenery these days seems to be universally good to excellent, but operations?  Oh deary me.  I keep hearing that roundy roundys are crowd pleasers, but I saw so few trains actually moving it was like a Sunday on network rail.  I expect it got better later on, as things warmed up and gremlins were eliminated.

But to be honest, even when a roundy roundy is going full tilt, I couldn't care less.

I've come to the realisation that I have no interest in a parade of trains, and crave something a little more authentic - something that gives a real sense of place, time and meaning to what's happening.

The last layout I saw that ticked all my boxes was Happisburgh, which seemed to confirm the Rev Peter Denny's view that for an interesting layout, you can't beat a fairly complex, busy steam era terminus.

Beginning to wonder if that's what I should build in my shed, as the current thing isn't hitting the spot...

(edited for unintentionally funny typo!)

My feeling about the layouts - with one or two notable exceptions - was ho hum, round and round.  Scenery these days seems to be universally good to excellent, but operations?  Oh deary me.  I keep hearing that roundy roundys are crowd pleasers, but I saw so few trains actually moving it was like a Sunday on network rail.  I expect it got better later on, as things warmed up and gremlins were eliminated.

But to be honest, even when a roundy roundy is going full tilt, I couldn't care less.

I've come to the realisation that I have no interest in a parade of trains, and crave something a little more authentic - something that gives a real sense of place, time and meaning to what's happening.

The last layout I saw that ticked all my boxes was Happisburgh, which seemed to confirm the Rev Peter Denny's view that for an interesting layout, you can;t beat a faulty complex, busy steam era terminus.

Beginning to wonder if that's what I should build in my shed, as the current thing isn't hitting the spot...

Agree here, some micro layouts give a little shunting but a lack of such larger layouts is apparent in N and 00. Add that to the crowds of rucksacks which seem to give immortality to the wearer I think last years visit was more enjoyable as it seemed quieter then. Not much purchased this year either.

Going back to the operating subject many of the roundy layouts do have yards but not all use them often. Hinksey was one that did as did Banbury both N gauge roundy layouts.

John

Here are a few photos of some of my personal highlights. This is by no means an attempt at a comprehensive photo gallery, some layouts I didn't take many photos of because I've seen them before, and others weren't lit well enough to counter the NEC's Stygian gloom sufficiently to make hand-held photography practical. But I hope this will give a bit of a feel for the event for those who weren't there.

Over in narrow gauge corner there were a couple of seaside-themed 009 layouts. Here's the first, the Clydach Railway:

post-6802-0-31905600-1416768067_thumb.jpg

And here's the second, Avyn-a-Llyin

post-6802-0-99207100-1416768076_thumb.jpg

I've seen Clarendon several times before, but this was the first time I had an angle to photograph the road frontage:

post-6802-0-93255100-1416768086_thumb.jpg

This is some of the extraordinary detail on Redditch MRC's Oakenshaw:

post-6802-0-47893300-1416768192_thumb.jpg

Australian railways are rarely modelled, at least in the UK. But here's a train down under crossing what I presume is the eponymous Dawes Creek:

post-6802-0-50969900-1416768316_thumb.jpg

Here's a typical scene on the GWR. That's the Great Western Railroad, of course. What I particularly like about this layout is the way that the creators have really got the snow-covered look spot on. It doesn't come across as well in the photos as I'd hoped, but this is truly gorgeous scenic modelling.

post-6802-0-29333400-1416768504_thumb.jpg

Back in the UK, the photographic backdrop on Kepier Colliery makes this look incredibly real:

post-6802-0-85653700-1416768617_thumb.jpg

On the sea wall at St Ruth. Let's hope there are no bad winter storms!

post-6802-0-75431600-1416768685_thumb.jpg

A lovely little bit of detail at Leicester South. You can't see it in the photographs, but this layout features well-mimicked working capstan shunting.

post-6802-0-72710200-1416768779_thumb.jpg

And finally, from Old Elms Road, don't we all wish it had been for one week only?

post-6802-0-93944800-1416768844_thumb.jpg

Had a good day yesterday, saw all the stands & layouts, though admit to passing by very quickly for the subjects of no interest to me. It felt very busy this year, as though railway modelling was suddenly very "in vogue"?

Bargain of the day for me was on the Brassmasters stand - a D&S kit for 2x Wisbech and Upwell coaches, £30 well spent as I've been after it for years.

Stewart

Made it from Norway for the second year running. Very interesting to see the big layouts I had read about in the model press. I liked both Alloa and Leicester South, although tha latter suffered from being quite poorly lit. The GWR layout, whose name I have forgotten, also had a lot of movement going on, which made it very interesting. Best presentation I thought was Black Country Blues, with it's curving photographic backscene making it very life-like. It was also very well lit, and I liked the sight of a very young boy operating it from one end. A nice change to all those grey haired chaps ;-) (no offence, as many of these are very polite and understanding when I ask them all kinds of stupid questions, due to my limited knowledge of how British railways operated). Of the N gauge layout I liked both Waton and Banbury, but to me, the most interesting in the 9mm range was Kirkham Abbey, presented in a height that made you a part of the scene. Also had chats with the operators of St. Ruth and Meadow Lane Depot, which had Mr Bean trying to get into his car. An enjoyable week end, where I took away a lot of inspiration to continue working on my layouts at home!

post-3345-0-52252300-1416772830.jpgpost-3345-0-05939900-1416772871.jpg

post-3345-0-72760800-1416772905.jpg

I'm rather miffed about this year's Warley show. Not the show itself, but by the fact that for the first time in a decade I have been unable to make my annual 2 day pilgrimage to the NEC. What is especially upsetting is that I'll miss the Saturday and Sunday meet-ups, where faces were put to names, and friends, foes and old lags (sometimes all in one person) met up with and chatted to.

You were not the only one who missed the meets.  Unless anyone else was lurking in the 'Spoons undetected there were but three of us today - JohnDMJ, MarkSG and me.  I'm told that on Saturday the meet comprised Huw Griffiths and Richard Brown.  It's a pity.  Fortunately in the show there were plenty of RMwebbers that I know/have met before and doubtless some with whom I am not acquainted.  Many were on stand duty, which is fair enough, but do our inmates really not want to meet other inmates?   It would be very sad if that were so.

While I'm posting, I ought to say something about travel.  I took up whoever suggested it on the idea of driving to Hampton-in-Arden.  On Sundays the first train is due at 8.51 am and the booking office is closed.  I bought a permit to travel but I understand that shortly afterwards the machine failed.  Outside the station there are at the moment three way temporary traffic lights due to roadworks which had the effect of leading me to overshoot the not very conspicuous entrance to the station car park.  I had previously overshot the turn off the A45 because part of the relevant road sign had fallen off.  Coming back I had about half an hour to wait for a train to HiA and observed that nearly every train incurred overtime in its station work at Birmingham International.  When I got on the M6 I found congestion caused by an accident and maximum speed signs showing 40 mph.  Chance would be a fine thing.

The show itself was the usual endurance test and I lost my floor plan.  There have been better days ...

• RMweb Gold

I've not tried for the meet at Warley but prefer to do that at the members day or events as there's just more time and space to chat. Warley eats up the whole day just seeing everything and even less time free when exhibiting ;)

• RMweb Gold

While I'm posting, I ought to say something about travel. I took up whoever suggested it on the idea of driving to Hampton-in-Arden. On Sundays the first train is due at 8.51 am and the booking office is closed. I bought a permit to travel but I understand that shortly afterwards the machine failed. Outside the station there are at the moment three way temporary traffic lights due to roadworks which had the effect of leading me to overshoot the not very conspicuous entrance to the station car park. I had previously overshot the turn off the A45 because part of the relevant road sign had fallen off. Coming back I had about half an hour to wait for a train to HiA and observed that nearly every train incurred overtime in its station work at Birmingham International. When I got on the M6 I found congestion caused by an accident and maximum speed signs showing 40 mph. Chance would be a fine thing.

Those 3 way lights made me miss my train, got into the carpark at the last minute as i'd sat at the lights for 5 mins and walked towards the platform just as it was pulling into the station, unfortunatly i'd walked along the pavement thinking there was a ramp down and not through the booking office and onto the platform bridge so the about turn cost me just enough time to miss it without looking like a nutter running down then having to pretend i wasnt really after that train!

I had no issues getting onto the motorway and was actually surprised i didnt have to touch the M42 at all to get north to crewe

I suppose had you gone to the NEC to park you would have still got stuck in the same traffic anyway

• RMweb Gold

I've uploaded most of the photos I took at Warley yesterday to Flickr.  I've yet to go through and label them all, hopefully I'll do that before I forget!  Sorry, but the Flickr upload interface is so tedious I decided to upload the lot then delete so there is a few duplicates.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trickymundo2009/sets/72157649426485702/

They are on quite a high ISO setting and taken without flash, so apologies if they are too grainy.

There was some lovely layouts there, particularly St. Ives and Dainton Bank.

• RMweb Premium

Just home from a very busy weekend (which started for me on Thursday helping with Hall set out checks through Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I saw very little of the show being busy either demonstrating or keeping the other demonstrators happy.

chrisf - you sat talking to RedgateModels  - on the demo table next to me who was busy demonstrating at the meet up time.. as was mr.s.corn78, Mike Edge, Newbryford, LNER4479, davey4270 and Gordon Gravett (who "lurks" a bit on here.

Others who may also find 1 o'clock a not so good time to be away from the layout could include the BCB team, Giles, Long Line and a few others as lunch time scan be a bit fraught for demonstrators, traders and layout operators...

Baz

I drove up to Warley with the domestic authorities on Sat. morning. Hell of a queue getting off the M42 at Junc. 6 but apart from that was a good 110 mile drive from Basingstoke. Having a blue badge got me a good parking space as well. Enjoyed the show, got my shopping done first then enjoyed the rest of the day browsing. Plenty of useful info. on DCC systems which has helped me choose the system for my layout. But,having back problems, I suffered greatly on Sunday. 

• RMweb Premium

Back home from the show.

Just chilling watching the GP highlights already knowing the result. Well done Lewis!

Thank you all that came along to have a chat. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. Got b*gger all done, but thats's a sign to me that i was busy!

Thanks to those who have posted layout pics. I had very little chance to escape my stand.

The journey home was good, so much so, that I made it in tiime to watch the third period at my local ice hockey team. A 5-1 victory.Go Hawks!

cheers,

Mick

Well I thought it was a good show and almost escaped without buying anything that had wheels.  But ended up with 2 scrap wagons with 3 wheels.

I didn't think there were any duds and there were some very good exhibits. I had seen most before but Addison Rd appeals as a different era.  Other than that it was the large ones.  The 5" plank and st Ives that impressed.

Some years the "work in progress" ones leave a bit to be desired but this year there were 2:

Lancaster Green Ayre - I just thought "what a good idea".  I look forward to seeing it completed.  

The other was Bad Boderan (Lake Constance).  In general, most of the continental layouts were too "busy" and I hope this one will be different.

One "work in progress" that doesn't work for me is "The Long Line".  I don't get the point - maybe if you can walk alongside the train, or film it on a runway.  But it doesn't seem to have any great viewpoints so you can see it as a long line etc etc.

On the small space layouts, the O guage did best as they did not try to do to much in the space.  Primrose hill in particular.

One other good thing.  A definite clamp down on flash photography.  Indeed generally a lot less intrusive photography.

Trade was balanced.  Wow how Squires can put on a stand.  But interesting that Eileen's have barcoded but Squires not.

A few pics from me when I managed to slope off from St Ruth.

post-9623-0-49781600-1416781108_thumb.jpg

St Ives in Gauge 3. My personal favourite. Brilliant but unfeasibly large.

post-9623-0-31954900-1416781082_thumb.jpg

My western is bigger than your Western

post-9623-0-48487400-1416781190_thumb.jpg

[Allo] Alloa ;) (I'm sure that's not the first time this pun has been used)

post-9623-0-50606600-1416781260_thumb.jpg

Black Country Blues. First time I've seen this. In my earlier years I poured scorn on an endless diet of West Midlands class 25s growling back and forth.Who'd have thought I'd be happily standing by a layout watching models of the same thing?

Finally a couple of our near neighbours, Highbury Colliery...

post-9623-0-57335900-1416781472_thumb.jpgpost-9623-0-00826900-1416781500_thumb.jpg

Archived