Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Photo 6343: I hadn't realised Dunston Power Station was still generating that late on. I thought only Stella South and North were the last power stations on the Tyne.

Photo 6345; the long building in the background,on the other side of the Tyne, is Vicker's Scotswood Road tank factory. I remember someone telling me it was the longest covered space in Europe. 

Photo 6346; when the coke traffic disappeared in the aftermath of the Miners' Strike, some of the ex-Boplates found further employment carrying rock-salt from Boulby to Middlesborough Goods and Tees Dock, and potash from Boulby to ICI Severnside.

• RMweb Gold

Photo 6343: I hadn't realised Dunston Power Station was still generating that late on. I thought only Stella South and North were the last power stations on the Tyne.

I cannot remember when it stopped generating, it is possible that I got the destination wrong. 

Perhaps someone will know?

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Derwenthaugh photos. Much to see, including the Sentinel and Hunslet in C6353. A very modellable scene. And what a good exercise in weathering on the wagon in the last photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I cannot remember when it stopped generating, it is possible that I got the destination wrong. 

Perhaps someone will know?

David

I an guessing it had all gone by 1990 as that was when Dunston was part of the Garden Festival.

If I've got the location right, across the bridge in C6345 is The Skiff Inn, still there now as far as I know, plus the Travelodge and Holiday Inn Express for the Metro Centre.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I an guessing it had all gone by 1990 as that was when Dunston was part of the Garden Festival.

If I've got the location right, across the bridge in C6345 is The Skiff Inn, still there now as far as I know, plus the Travelodge and Holiday Inn Express for the Metro Centre.

Dave

According to Wikipedia Dunston stopped generating in Oct 1981, demolished 1986. Stella N and S lasted until May 1991.

Many thanks to both of you.  

I was indeed near the Skiff Inn.  I usually avoid the Metro Centre and anywhere nearby nowadays.

Thanks for the dates, I've altered the caption by deleting the reference to Dunston.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. The Cumbrian Coast photos are tremendous, and the class 40 in the first one makes a fine sight. In J5771, Portelet is another fine sight, and would be a great model in a harbour setting. Are the two men alongside her repainting some of the red? That is quite a unique sight to have caught in a photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is but what's that great big tank fastened on the front for?

I think it may have been an air-brake reservoir.

There's a couple of pipes running to what looks like a small control console hanging outside the side window.

The reservoir seems a bit large for brake use - were there any other railway related operations at Derwenthaugh that required a large quantity of air?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

There's a couple of pipes running to what looks like a small control console hanging outside the side window.

The reservoir seems a bit large for brake use - were there any other railway related operations at Derwenthaugh that required a large quantity of air?

Cheers,

Mick

I would expect that it is for use on the Coke Ovens when the Tower locomotive was not available, a similar additional reservoir was fitted to one of the 03's at Monkton.

Mark Saunders

Edited by Mark Saunders