Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

LHi, Dave. I like the latest Blyth and Tyne photo’s. They are full of interest, and the last photo’ is particularly good of a class 37, at Lynemouth, in August, 1980.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Great photographs David

I'd forgotten what an impressive structure Sleekburn viaduct is.

Not many steel viaducts left now and the way traffic is disappearing up there you wonder how long that one will last

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos from around Blyth which are all full of interest. In C6950, at Blyth, on the 19th April, 1985, with a tank wagon being unloaded so it can be used as storage of oil, to service ships, I just hope all went well, and that there were no accidents.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

post-4319-0-94946400-1531432086_thumb.jpg

Should have done, jonny, but he was actually called Cooking Fat in a sort of spoonerist attempt at humour; perhaps the attacks were revenge for this outrage.

That made me laugh so much, it reminded me of a birthday card I got a few years ago.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of Carlisle. A collection which are, of course, so historical. I particularly like C9097, of 87021, on a Glsagow to Euston service on the 1st September, 1987. A splendid view of Robert The Bruce.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

always liked that version of InterCity livery, with the half-black ends - very smart and purposeful

Designed in the days when designers actually knew what a train was!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cambrian Coast Line photo's, which are full of interest, and the scenery is as outstanding as ever. In the last one at Minfordd, apart from the sharply curved platform, you can see a van, which might be an ex LNER example. If not, I'm not sure which company it might be from.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The pictures of Minfordd were interesting to see.

My first thought when I saw the up view was "was it always like that or is this a double line that was singled and the platform moved?" but looking at the picture can see that the platform previously extended beyond the bridge so presumably was always a single line.

Both views show that originally there was more railway land on the other side of the line, now fenced off.

I was intrigued by the van in the down view, particularly as it looks like it isn't a grounded body but could be on an underframe and therefore possibly on (isolated) rails.

I can't remember when I last posted any photos of the Nene Valley Railway, so I'll start today with a few from visits in the late 70s and early 80s.

I always used to enjoy seeing their locos and stock from mainland Europe in action.

attachicon.gifWansford DB 2-6-2T 064 305 Aug 77 C3528.jpg

Wansford DB 2-6-2T 064 305 Aug 77 C3528

David

This German tank last steamed in 1986 (the year I was born!), and has been stored at Wansford ever since. It is undercover in their running shed and does sometimes draws visitors who come to see this particular loco due to its role in one the darkest parts of the past.

it has been confirmed that this German tank used to  haul train loads of Jewish prisoners to Auschwitz during the second world war.

post-6736-0-88970000-1531663493_thumb.jpg

Here is my picture of it in 2016 stored but looking in not too bad shape.

• Like 3

The coach in C3527 look's like part of an emu drivers cab/brake.

yes it is, in the very early years on the NVR they used to have the 4COR unit as hauled stock. along with, I think, a car from the birghton belle Pullman train.

http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/imagingcentre/view/501567/PL

http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/imagingcentre/view/460549/IS429910011531663435

Edited by Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold

Love the atmospheric shot of Grantham David.

I notice in your ECML pictures it seemed quite a common occurrence to have brake coaches the wrong way round

• RMweb Gold

Red sky at night - photographers' delight1

Jonathan

Or was it in the morning and this a dire warning?

It was evening, taken from the bridge where the old A1 into Grantham crossed the railway.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Love the atmospheric shot of Grantham David.

I notice in your ECML pictures it seemed quite a common occurrence to have brake coaches the wrong way round

On an end to end railway, depending upon which end they were marshalled, brake coaches would be the wrong way round dependent on the end of the consist they were put.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. The Nene Valley Railway photo’s are fantastic, and British stock on that line has always been quite unusual, if you see what I mean. A delightful line for all the preserved stock from continental countries. What a grim history for that tank engine, 64305.

The ECML photo’s are as great as ever, and I love the Deltic hauled expresses. Then that remarkable pink sky in C1423, a painting could be produced from that.

Surely those brake coaches would be as easy to marshall the right way round as the wrong way, or is there something I’m missing?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Just checked through some of my pics and it was common on the WCML in the 70s-80s too, whereas WR commuter brakes seemed to crop up somewhere towards the middle.

Dave