Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo's. All so full of interest, and I particularly like C4102, at Radcliffe on Trent, with two class 20's on a service to Skegness, in August, 1978. A fine composition as the train rolls across the bridge, and a small craft passes by on the river.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

Hi Dave, 

Good to have you back posting again, hope the recovery is going well. 

My query concerns the information you had to back up your photographic expeditions. Nowadays it's simple with the internet and sites like Realtimetrains, but how did you know what was coming and when? Did you have access to working timetables, or just the passenger one. I can imagine at places like Radcliffe on Trent where you spotted/photo'd regularly, you maybe got a feel for what you might see, but what about when you went somewhere new. I seem to remember it being quite difficult to find out the times of specials (talking late 70's early 80's here), when I went out, and think I just went off on speck, so to speak.

Curious!!

Best wishes,

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, 

My query concerns the information you had to back up your photographic expeditions. Nowadays it's simple with the internet and sites like Realtimetrains, but how did you know what was coming and when? Did you have access to working timetables, or just the passenger one. I can imagine at places like Radcliffe on Trent where you spotted/photo'd regularly, you maybe got a feel for what you might see, but what about when you went somewhere new. I seem to remember it being quite difficult to find out the times of specials (talking late 70's early 80's here), when I went out, and think I just went off on speck, so to speak.

Curious!!

Best wishes,

Kevin

Dad and I almost always bought copies of the timetable but didn't often look at them before going out.

I always just enjoyed going out, finding somewhere to park and then just waiting to photograph whatever turned up.  The timetable was usually used to confirm what I had seen after the slides had been processed.  I usually made notes when I took the photos at the time.

I think Dad did much the same.

When we were close to our homes we generally had a pretty good idea of what trains would be about, so it was quite easy at (say) Radcliffe on Trent for Dad to walk to the line to see the Manchester to Harwich train or the Skegness trains.

It was always difficult to know the times of specials, many were photographed as a result of good luck.  When tours were advertised it was sometimes possible to work out the likely timings from the itinerary.

Even when Dad was working with Flying Scotsman and Pendennis Castle it was often difficult to know the exact times, they often seemed to change a bit on the day.

Working timetables were just about impossible to obtain when they were current.

Nowadays I still prefer to just go to the railway, find a suitable vantage point and photograph what comes along.  If I am going to a lightly used line I do look up train times, but they don't always work well for freights.

In the waiting time between trains I occupy myself identifying all the plants and animals I can find in the vicinity - I happen to be a biologist.

David

PS The recovery is going well so far, I have much less pain and can move more easily and comfortably.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 8

Curious!!

In a way it's a great shame that that element of spontaneity has been lost (although in others RTT is quite helpful!).

It's one of the things that I love about aviation. It's VERY difficult to get advance information on a lot of things, so surprises are ten a penny. Plus you don't have to go that far to see some interesting things (you can - but, unlike the railway, much of it comes to you). The BBMF publish their displays for the week - but not necessarily their flightpath - which is helpful.

This week, in fact, I stepped into the back garden on Monday morning, only to see the Red Arrows passing low overhead, on their way back home.

Spitfires are not that uncommon and, on Wednesday night, I heard the familiar Merlin sound outside and jumped out of my chair in time to watch one pass, heading eastwards. Five minutes later, the Bristol Blenheim growled over, heading towards Duxford. With the help of Twitter, I discovered that they'd been part of a display at an early evening show over Theale.

Then, this morning, on my way to the supermarket, as I closed the front door, I heard the scream of approaching jets, only to see Reds 1-5, followed by Reds 6-10, heading south, presumably on their way to Farnborough.

The new technology is very helpful, sometimes, for rail - but it helps if you look at it! Only ten days ago 50 008 "Thunderer" made a visit to these parts, on a route learning, light engine move (both out and back) during daylight hours. Sadly I hadn't checked RTT and completely missed the opportunity to photograph it. We haven't seen a class 50 in these parts for over 20 years! I'm still kicking myself!

• Like 1

Didcot 47008 down freightliner April 79 J6404

On the second wagon, is the first container one of the unusual high box opens that had a curved frame to support a tarpulin sheet if needed. Photos of such a wagon appear in the very first leaflets produced by BR about Freightliner. Some of the opens/flats further on down the train are also interesting.

Paul

On the second wagon, is the first container one of the unusual high box opens that had a curved frame to support a tarpulin sheet if needed. Photos of such a wagon appear in the very first leaflets produced by BR about Freightliner. Some of the opens/flats further on down the train are also interesting.

Paul

Having been viewing some Canadian train videos so I know what to expect on our trip to the Rockies later this year, the difference between the BR 'Freightliner' and Canadian National/Pacific 'intermodal' is quite striking :)

• RMweb Gold

Paul

That looks to me like it could be a wagon (or perhaps even an 08 shunter) in the yard behind the Ben Ellerman container.

Having been viewing some Canadian train videos so I know what to expect on our trip to the Rockies later this year, the difference between the BR 'Freightliner' and Canadian National/Pacific 'intermodal' is quite striking :)

Not sure a comparison of a 40 year old photo and todays Canadian scene is fair. Although we are not able to double load our containers https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/americanwagon/e5d22e066 we do have a range of low height wagons permitting 9ft 6in containers to be carried.

That looks to me like it could be a wagon (or perhaps even an 08 shunter) in the yard behind the Ben Ellerman container.

Yes agree it could be a roof behind.

Paul

A few photos from around the Great western for today.

Chalford April 72 J2857.jpg

Chalford April 72 J2857

David

This photo was taken at Frampton Mansell probably, not far from Chalford, looking west, with the viaduct just out of sight on the curve. Was a photo of the viaduct taken the same day? The twisting lane on the left and lack of houses on the far hill rule out Chalford itself, I think.

• RMweb Gold

This photo was taken at Frampton Mansell probably, not far from Chalford, looking west, with the viaduct just out of sight on the curve. Was a photo of the viaduct taken the same day? The twisting lane on the left and lack of houses on the far hill rule out Chalford itself, I think.

Thanks, I did wonder about it being Chalford.  The previous photo was Frampton Lane Crossing signal box, so Frampton would make sense. 

The next photo was Hampton Loade, the following day.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Great Western photo's. All so full of interest, and I particularly like J2935, of Fenny Compton, with a class 47, number 1987, on a Birmingham to Weymouth train in  June, 1972. A fine view of that train on a damp June day.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J2852 Blockley; As can be seen this section had recently been singled, but it is now double track again ! The renaissance of the Oxford/Worcester line is one of the railway success stories of recent years.

Thanks again for the photos David, and best wishes for your continuing recovery.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Blackpool photo’s. A great set, and how things have changed! The trams look good, with some good typical gaudy designs to be seen. And how unusual is the Blackpool Beach monorail in J617. A most strange design of vehicle. You certainly look most youthful in the last photo, David, and I hope you enjoyed that ride.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Something a bit different for today, a visit to Blackpool in September 1966.  

Once again they are Dad's photos and must have been taken at the start of the month as I was there with them and am in some of the photos.  I had hair then!

Mum is also in the photos, she almost always went out with Dad on his trips, she also takes photos and likes mechanical things.  We were talking the other day and she was reminding me how much she used to enjoy driving Teddy Boston's traction engine and steam roller back the the 60s and 70s.

attachicon.gifBlackpool Pleasure Beach diesel 4472 Sept 66 J613.jpg

Blackpool Pleasure Beach diesel 4472 Sept 66 J613

David

Cabbed that one!!

post-188-0-99043900-1532262112_thumb.jpg

Jim

• Like 11

attachicon.gifEye aerial ropeway clay pit to brick works May 73 J3191.jpg

Eye aerial ropeway clay pit to brick works May 73 J3191

Woah! That's a blast from the past. The number of times that I've been up and down that road (Hodney Road) in a car (with parents) or on my bike.

We had friends that lived in the houses in the distance on the right. They had twin boys, my age. Ironically, one of the twins passed his 11+ and went to grammar school, with me, whilst the other failed and went to secondary modern school. We spent many Saturday afternoons in the early 1970s, with some of the other boys from Eye village, playing around the brick pits, to the left, roughly where the telegraph pole is. By May 1973, though, I think we'd moved on to other pastimes and groups of friends - so our paths would not quite have crossed!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the NYMR photo’s. So interesting to see how it was after it had just got really going after being opened formally after its few years as a closed line from the Beeching era. Please post more photo’s of it if you have any left.

The East Midlands photo’s are a great set. Some sadness there in J2917, but great to see D3 in the first photo’, and in J3125, a class 45 gainfully employed on a down iron ore train at Ashwell in November, 1972.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the NYMR photo’s. So interesting to see how it was after it had just got really going after being opened formally after its few years as a closed line from the Beeching era. Please post more photo’s of it if you have any left.

The East Midlands photo’s are a great set. Some sadness there in J2917, but great to see D3 in the first photo’, and in J3125, a class 45 gainfully employed on a down iron ore train at Ashwell in November, 1972.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

There will be some more of the NYMR in due course, when I get back fully to normal and start working on photos and captioning again - at the moment I am using ones "I prepared earlier".

David

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures again David, a remnant of the Midland railway small engine policy can be seen at Brentingby the remains of the two water columns at the end of the up loop.

Great to see an aerial ropeway, used to so common now only one in the UK

• Like 1