13718 replies to this topic

#13701 Market65

Market65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationBeverley

Posted 19 July 2018 - 15:34

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo's. All so full of interest, and I particularly like C4102, at Radcliffe on Trent, with two class 20's on a service to Skegness, in August, 1978. A fine composition as the train rolls across the bridge, and a small craft passes by on the river.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65, 19 July 2018 - 15:35 .

• Thanks x 1

#13702 Suddaby

Suddaby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Posted 19 July 2018 - 22:48

Hi Dave, 

Good to have you back posting again, hope the recovery is going well. 

My query concerns the information you had to back up your photographic expeditions. Nowadays it's simple with the internet and sites like Realtimetrains, but how did you know what was coming and when? Did you have access to working timetables, or just the passenger one. I can imagine at places like Radcliffe on Trent where you spotted/photo'd regularly, you maybe got a feel for what you might see, but what about when you went somewhere new. I seem to remember it being quite difficult to find out the times of specials (talking late 70's early 80's here), when I went out, and think I just went off on speck, so to speak.

Curious!!

Best wishes,

Kevin

#13703 DaveF

DaveF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • LocationNorth East England

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:58

Hi Dave, 

My query concerns the information you had to back up your photographic expeditions. Nowadays it's simple with the internet and sites like Realtimetrains, but how did you know what was coming and when? Did you have access to working timetables, or just the passenger one. I can imagine at places like Radcliffe on Trent where you spotted/photo'd regularly, you maybe got a feel for what you might see, but what about when you went somewhere new. I seem to remember it being quite difficult to find out the times of specials (talking late 70's early 80's here), when I went out, and think I just went off on speck, so to speak.

Curious!!

Best wishes,

Kevin

Dad and I almost always bought copies of the timetable but didn't often look at them before going out.

I always just enjoyed going out, finding somewhere to park and then just waiting to photograph whatever turned up.  The timetable was usually used to confirm what I had seen after the slides had been processed.  I usually made notes when I took the photos at the time.

I think Dad did much the same.

When we were close to our homes we generally had a pretty good idea of what trains would be about, so it was quite easy at (say) Radcliffe on Trent for Dad to walk to the line to see the Manchester to Harwich train or the Skegness trains.

It was always difficult to know the times of specials, many were photographed as a result of good luck.  When tours were advertised it was sometimes possible to work out the likely timings from the itinerary.

Even when Dad was working with Flying Scotsman and Pendennis Castle it was often difficult to know the exact times, they often seemed to change a bit on the day.

Working timetables were just about impossible to obtain when they were current.

Nowadays I still prefer to just go to the railway, find a suitable vantage point and photograph what comes along.  If I am going to a lightly used line I do look up train times, but they don't always work well for freights.

In the waiting time between trains I occupy myself identifying all the plants and animals I can find in the vicinity - I happen to be a biologist.

David

PS The recovery is going well so far, I have much less pain and can move more easily and comfortably.

Edited by DaveF, 20 July 2018 - 14:16 .

• Like x 8
  • Thanks x 2

#13704 DaveF

DaveF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 14:14

A few photos from around the Great western for today.

Blockley GWR Worcester to Oxford route April 72 J2852.jpg

Blockley GWR Worcester to Oxford route April 72 J2852

Chalford April 72 J2857.jpg

Frampton Mansell  Chalford April 72 J2857

Fenny Compton Class 47 1987 Birmingham to Weymouth June 72 J2935.jpg

Fenny Compton Class 47 1987 Birmingham to Weymouth June 72 J2935

Chippenham River Avon Class 253 Paddington to Bristol Oct 78 J6345.jpg

Chippenham River Avon Class 253 Paddington to Bristol Oct 78 J6345

Didcot 47008 down freightliner April 79 J6404.jpg

Didcot 47008 down freightliner April 79 J6404

David

Edited by DaveF, 20 July 2018 - 17:52 .

• Like x 26

#13705 35A

35A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 14:23

Curious!!

In a way it's a great shame that that element of spontaneity has been lost (although in others RTT is quite helpful!).

It's one of the things that I love about aviation. It's VERY difficult to get advance information on a lot of things, so surprises are ten a penny. Plus you don't have to go that far to see some interesting things (you can - but, unlike the railway, much of it comes to you). The BBMF publish their displays for the week - but not necessarily their flightpath - which is helpful.

This week, in fact, I stepped into the back garden on Monday morning, only to see the Red Arrows passing low overhead, on their way back home.

Spitfires are not that uncommon and, on Wednesday night, I heard the familiar Merlin sound outside and jumped out of my chair in time to watch one pass, heading eastwards. Five minutes later, the Bristol Blenheim growled over, heading towards Duxford. With the help of Twitter, I discovered that they'd been part of a display at an early evening show over Theale.

Then, this morning, on my way to the supermarket, as I closed the front door, I heard the scream of approaching jets, only to see Reds 1-5, followed by Reds 6-10, heading south, presumably on their way to Farnborough.

The new technology is very helpful, sometimes, for rail - but it helps if you look at it! Only ten days ago 50 008 "Thunderer" made a visit to these parts, on a route learning, light engine move (both out and back) during daylight hours. Sadly I hadn't checked RTT and completely missed the opportunity to photograph it. We haven't seen a class 50 in these parts for over 20 years! I'm still kicking myself!

• Thanks x 1
  • Like x 1

#13706 hmrspaul

hmrspaul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,056 posts
  • LocationYork UK

Posted 20 July 2018 - 14:49

On the second wagon, is the first container one of the unusual high box opens that had a curved frame to support a tarpulin sheet if needed. Photos of such a wagon appear in the very first leaflets produced by BR about Freightliner. Some of the opens/flats further on down the train are also interesting.

Paul

• Thanks x 1

#13707 talisman56

talisman56

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationClevedon, North Somerset

Posted 20 July 2018 - 15:38

On the second wagon, is the first container one of the unusual high box opens that had a curved frame to support a tarpulin sheet if needed. Photos of such a wagon appear in the very first leaflets produced by BR about Freightliner. Some of the opens/flats further on down the train are also interesting.

Paul

Having been viewing some Canadian train videos so I know what to expect on our trip to the Rockies later this year, the difference between the BR 'Freightliner' and Canadian National/Pacific 'intermodal' is quite striking :)

• Thanks x 1

#13708 Western Aviator

Western Aviator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationOsnabrück

Posted 20 July 2018 - 16:02

Paul

That looks to me like it could be a wagon (or perhaps even an 08 shunter) in the yard behind the Ben Ellerman container.
  • Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#13709 leopardml2341

leopardml2341

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,784 posts
  • LocationWillington S. Derbyshire (Yorkshire expat)

Posted 20 July 2018 - 16:29

That looks to me like it could be a wagon (or perhaps even an 08 shunter) in the yard behind the Ben Ellerman container.

'08' I reckon :)
  • Thanks x 1

#13710 hmrspaul

hmrspaul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,056 posts
  • LocationYork UK

Posted 20 July 2018 - 16:32

Having been viewing some Canadian train videos so I know what to expect on our trip to the Rockies later this year, the difference between the BR 'Freightliner' and Canadian National/Pacific 'intermodal' is quite striking :)

Not sure a comparison of a 40 year old photo and todays Canadian scene is fair. Although we are not able to double load our containers https://PaulBartlett...agon/e5d22e066 we do have a range of low height wagons permitting 9ft 6in containers to be carried.

Yes agree it could be a roof behind.

Paul

• Thanks x 1

#13711 Western Glory

Western Glory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 17:46

A few photos from around the Great western for today.

Chalford April 72 J2857.jpg
Chalford April 72 J2857

David

This photo was taken at Frampton Mansell probably, not far from Chalford, looking west, with the viaduct just out of sight on the curve. Was a photo of the viaduct taken the same day? The twisting lane on the left and lack of houses on the far hill rule out Chalford itself, I think.
  • Thanks x 1

#13712 DaveF

DaveF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 17:51

This photo was taken at Frampton Mansell probably, not far from Chalford, looking west, with the viaduct just out of sight on the curve. Was a photo of the viaduct taken the same day? The twisting lane on the left and lack of houses on the far hill rule out Chalford itself, I think.

Thanks, I did wonder about it being Chalford.  The previous photo was Frampton Lane Crossing signal box, so Frampton would make sense. 

The next photo was Hampton Loade, the following day.

David

#13713 Western Glory

Western Glory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 18:39

J2857 would have been taken about 50 yards from Frampton crossing.
  • Thanks x 1

#13714 Market65

Market65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationBeverley

Posted 20 July 2018 - 19:15

Hi, Dave. I like the Great Western photo's. All so full of interest, and I particularly like J2935, of Fenny Compton, with a class 47, number 1987, on a Birmingham to Weymouth train in  June, 1972. A fine view of that train on a damp June day.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks x 1

#13715 caradoc

caradoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:44

J2852 Blockley; As can be seen this section had recently been singled, but it is now double track again ! The renaissance of the Oxford/Worcester line is one of the railway success stories of recent years.

Thanks again for the photos David, and best wishes for your continuing recovery.

• Thanks x 1

#13716 DaveF

DaveF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:17

Something a bit different for today, a visit to Blackpool in September 1966.  

Once again they are Dad's photos and must have been taken at the start of the month as I was there with them and am in some of the photos.  I had hair then!

Mum is also in the photos, she almost always went out with Dad on his trips, she also takes photos and likes mechanical things.  We were talking the other day and she was reminding me how much she used to enjoy driving Teddy Boston's traction engine and steam roller back the the 60s and 70s.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach diesel 4472 Sept 66 J613.jpg

Blackpool Pleasure Beach diesel 4472 Sept 66 J613

Blackpool Pleasure Beach monorail Sept 66 J617.jpg

Blackpool Pleasure Beach monorail Sept 66 J617

Blackpool South Pier Blackpool 320 Sept 66 J618.jpg

Blackpool South Pier Blackpool 320 Sept 66 J618

Blackpool 321 Sept 66 J620.jpg

Blackpool 321 Sept 66 J620

Blackpool North Pier 284 Sept 66 J621.jpg

Blackpool North Pier 284 Sept 66 J621

Blackpool on tram Sept 66 J623.jpg

Blackpool on tram Sept 66 J623

David

Edited by DaveF, Yesterday, 16:18 .

• Like x 20

#13717 Market65

Market65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationBeverley

Posted Yesterday, 18:15

Hi, Dave. I love the Blackpool photo’s. A great set, and how things have changed! The trams look good, with some good typical gaudy designs to be seen. And how unusual is the Blackpool Beach monorail in J617. A most strange design of vehicle. You certainly look most youthful in the last photo, David, and I hope you enjoyed that ride.

With warmest regards,

Rob.
  • Thanks x 1

#13718 lmsforever

lmsforever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • Locationaylesbury

Posted Yesterday, 19:34

The Red Arrows flew over here yesterday afternoon plus the Blenheim on their way back ,possibly from Farnborough the Blenheim sounded a right bag of nails would not have liked flying against the Nazis in it.
  • Thanks x 1

#13719 DaveF

DaveF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted Today, 09:28

North Yorkshire Moors Railway to start with today, as it was in the early to mid 1980s.

The photos are in date order.

Grosmont J72 69023 Joem station pilot July 83 C6072.jpg

Grosmont J72 69023 Joem station pilot July 83 C6072

Goathland D5032 July 83 C6086.jpg

Goathland D5032 July 83 C6086

Darnholm K1 62005 Grosmont to Pickering 29th April 84 C6478.jpg

Darnholm K1 62005 Grosmont to Pickering 29th April 84 C6478

Beckholes Hunslet Antwerp 29th April 84 C6482.jpg

Beckholes Hunslet Antwerp 29th April 84 C6482

Grosmont 45T Cowans Sheldon crane 2nd Aug 86 C7831.jpg

Grosmont 45T Cowans Sheldon crane 2nd Aug 86 C7831

Grosmont Hymek D7029 2nd Aug 86 C7832.jpg

Grosmont Hymek D7029 2nd Aug 86 C7832

David

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: images, photos, steam, diesel, electric