Freightliner terminals, an interesting modelling subject?

Bruce Depot

Not something that seems to be photographed much, perhaps access/views make it hard,

anyway back in 1998 I got a night shot of lawley Street, Birmingham...

post-6778-12646872015401_thumb.jpg

Always thought the terminals would make an interesting model but space is a issuie!

cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Of course Freightliner terminals are interesting places - but the train movements are hugely outnumbered by the crane movements, whipping boxes on and off! I spent a couple of weeks in 1974 at Stratford LIFT, where Freightliner handling was part of the task, and a terminal can be very busy indeed, with an office full of lots and lots of slotted boards - in those days - showing the location and identity of every box on the terminal. As well as the rail-mounted straddle cranes, LIFT had some lovely things called DROTTs, which I think were a sort of straddle crane on rubber tyres, which could go anywhere that was paved. I believe someone does a working model rail-mounted crane, and as an exhibition model this would look brill, but beware building a model railway that actually has very little operating potential.

Interesting yes, but not an easy challenge to get the right effect of! Whilst I generally like micro layouts i'm not sure this is the kind of prototype that lends itself to that kind of thing! wink.gif

I think some terminals are much easier to photograph than others so by default get photographed more often, if you search for pics of Southampton Maritime and Millbrook terminals you will get loads of results, there should be some out there of Felixstowe also - here's three from a nice sunny day at Millbrook and one of Felixstowe North shot to be going along with.

Millbrook (although a bit on the quiet side at the mo with the recession, it was even mothballed briefly) is easy to view from the platform/footbridge at Millbrook station.

Maritime is viewable from the bridge accessing the port, you might get asked for ID there but enthusiasts are fairly common visitors as it also overlooks the small Freightliner maintainence depot there.

Felixstowe North is shootable from public footpaths (and in fact a public footpath crosses all lines by the portakabin in the pic!) but for this shot you might need to do some work shoving through thorny bushes!

yloffn.jpg

ylof30.jpg

ylof3q.jpg

yn99ww.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There's an N gauge layout "Divorce Lane" on the circuit, where one half is a TMD and the other half is a container terminal, all in about two foot square. IIRC the trains on the container terminal side don't move, just the crane and the containers.

sort of on topic, does anyone know if the old Hornby container set with the hymek with the wonderful painting on the box was realistic,in the sense that I dont think Ive ever seen a shot of a hymek on a freightliner train

Mike

Hi Mike, I don't think a hymek ever hauled a freightliner in service. I think the freightliner flats were air braked, and hymeks were vac only.

http://www.modeltrai....asp?itemid=484

Hi Mike, I don't think a hymek ever hauled a freightliner in service. I think the freightliner flats were air braked, and hymeks were vac only.

http://www.modeltrai....asp?itemid=484

I agree, frieightliners were definately air brake only. The Hymeks were also vacuum braked only when built, I don't think any were ever converted to dual braked....

Andrew

I agree, frieightliners were definately air brake only. The Hymeks were also vacuum braked only when built, I don't think any were ever converted to dual braked....

Andrew

No Hymeks or Warships received train air-brakes. Most Westerns eventually received them, however, and sometimes worked Freightliner turns, including the mixed Freightliner/passenger working to Fishguard Harbour in the early 1970s.

Drotts were manufactured by the same company (International Harvester) that made the tracked bulldozer/shovel used by BR. A model of a similar straddle carrier can be seen here:-

http://www.m-s-i-m.co.uk/walthers.htm

thanks guys, thought Id never seen a shot of one, shame really as the pic on the box looked great :)

reason I ask is that it always seems to be looked upon as a modern image layout idea, to have a freightliner terminal layout.

why not have a late 60s era one, with green 47s, grey and red containers, and yellow br road vehicles smile.gif

or 70s with more variety

Mike

• Like 2

No Hymeks or Warships received train air-brakes. Most Westerns eventually received them, however, and sometimes worked Freightliner turns, including the mixed Freightliner/passenger working to Fishguard Harbour in the early 1970s.

Drotts were manufactured by the same company (International Harvester) that made the tracked bulldozer/shovel used by BR. A model of a similar straddle carrier can be seen here:-

http://www.m-s-i-m.co.uk/walthers.htm

All but four of the Westerns received dual braking from 1968 onwards, the four which didn't were D1017, D1018, D1019 and D1020.

HTH,

Nidge ;O)

• RMweb Gold

There's a much smaller place that deals with containers just past Burton-on-Trent station on the way to Derby. No huge crane, just a road mobile handler, a large hard standing and one siding.

• 3 years later...

Dredging threads from the dead! How things have changed in the last almost 4 years!

To feed my cravings, can anyone point me in the direction of a good shot of the Stratford Freightliner Terminal cranes please? Lots of distant shots easily found but nothing close up.

Thanks

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 21/03/2010 at 12:06, 96701 said:

There's a much smaller place that deals with containers just past Burton-on-Trent station on the way to Derby. No huge crane, just a road mobile handler, a large hard standing and one siding.

I know this post is VERY old, but does anyone know what this is or was?

• 3 months later...

There was a similar container yard at Selby. Mainly dealing with MSC boxes, all that was used was a pair of the Konecranes lifters similar to the one modelled by Oxford Diecast. Unfortunately the last time I was up there all that was left was the tracks.

Pete

A few years ago on Google Earth, the following big bit of hardstanding at Potters Group just north of Ely had containers on. I assume they were off loaded from rail by a reach stacker but never saw any confirmation of this. All cleared now though.

Screenshot_20190530-105325_Maps.jpg.274a5b23a8d7b22bd17342992eeedcdf.jpg

12 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

A few years ago on Google Earth, the following big bit of hardstanding at Potters Group just north of Ely had containers on. I assume they were off loaded from rail by a reach stacker but never saw any confirmation of this. All cleared now though.

Screenshot_20190530-105325_Maps.jpg.274a5b23a8d7b22bd17342992eeedcdf.jpg

IIRC, the two Potter's sites were mainly used to store empty containers, rather than stacking them at Felixstowe.

• Informative/Useful 1

A relatively recent facility is that of Newell and Wright of Rotherham; from Google Maps, it appears to be a single track, with adjacent hardstanding, served by a large container stacker. There are three further rail tracks elsewhere on site that handle steel products in a number of different types of vehicle.

• Informative/Useful 1