Bachmann Warflats

Peter Bedding

Hi all,

Bachmann are currently listing this warflat wagon Suitable for era's 3, 4 & 5.

I am planning to use these for my layout's time period mid 1980's to mid 1990's with the Oxford diecast military Land Rover Defenders. I am also thinking of using the Bofors gun. Both these items have been manufactured in khaki & 'desert sand 'so a realistic rake complete with a Bachmann VGA at the rear could be made.

However, it would be nice to have a ready made Scorpion or Warrior tank for the potentially forth coming well wagon.

Maybe Bachmann will commission a manufacturer to provide this as well.....

Any ideas out there?

Except that the army had stopped using WWII style (L60) Bofors by the 1980s (and even long before then). I doubt there were even any postwar L70s left by then, with Rapier missile system being around from the mid 70s.

The RN still had plenty in stock but the sea going mount is entirely different.

That said, I personally will pretend some re-enactment group has a hired a train to move stuff around and have a whole host of Oxfords military stuff being pulled around. (their Churchill will make a nice compliment to Bachmann's Cromwells).

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2

Except that the army had stopped using WWII style (L60) Bofors by the 1980s (and even long before then). I doubt there were even any postwar L70s left by then, with Rapier missile system being around from the mid 70s.

The RN still had plenty in stock but the sea going mount is entirely different.

That said, I personally will pretend some re-enactment group has a hired a train to move stuff around and have a whole host of Oxfords military stuff being pulled around. (their Churchill will make a nice compliment to Bachmann's Cromwells).

Good luck removing the air inlet louvres, aerial base and AA gun mounting spigot to bring it within loading gauge. I would suggest it would be easier with an Airfix kit.

Tony

Good luck removing the air inlet louvres, aerial base and AA gun mounting spigot to bring it within loading gauge. I would suggest it would be easier with an Airfix kit.

Tony

The ancient Airfix Mk VII has far too many errors to be corrected. I suspect/hope that the Oxford Diecast Churchill air inlets are separate pieces and will pop off (will see when I have one).

I have a photo from the 70s showing warflats carrying Chieftain Tanks. I wonder how that passed the loading gauge or did someone mess up placing such a big heavy modern tank onto a warflat?

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the chieftains will be on the version used in Germany, lots came back as we reduced operations over there. They certainly don't fit in the Uk except on internal MOD systems.

The WW2 style lasted a lot longer in internal use than the main network.

as Im modelling the late 80s and 90s they are technically to early for me but I may get a couple and mark them as internal user. I could really use some of the later ones as Im working on a military train at the moment and will be building several warflat/warwell kits in the near future. Im also building up a nice set of VEA wagons with the explosives markings using the Parkside kits.

• Like 1

I suspect the chieftains will be on the version used in Germany, lots came back as we reduced operations over there. They certainly don't fit in the Uk except on internal MOD systems.

The WW2 style lasted a lot longer in internal use than the main network.

Three train loads of ex-BAOR ones (a total of 81 wagons) came back via the Channel Tunnel. At Cheriton, they were transferred to road trailers; the foot-wide deck extension on each side made them out-of-gauge. A couple went to E G Steele for conversion to UK loading gauge, the rest ending up as internal users at various MoD sites.

• Like 2

A load of Vickers Vigor tractors from Liverpool docks crossing the East Lancs Road in Liverpool on the North Liverpool CLC line in the late 1960s. A route I am modelling. I also like the tractors. A large scale demonstration model / toy of this tractor was used for the tracked vehicles such as The Mole in TVs Thunderbirds so that has appeal to me too to model. Someone did do a whitemetal 1/76 kit of one of these but I believe it is now out of production which is a shame. Im hoping I can find some.

post-27-0-97925200-1476106758_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

A load of Vickers Vigor tractors from Liverpool docks crossing the East Lancs Road in Liverpool on the North Liverpool CLC line in the late 1960s. A route I am modelling. I also like the tractors. A large scale demonstration model / toy of this tractor was used for the tracked vehicles such as The Mole in TVs Thunderbirds so that has appeal to me too to model. Someone did do a whitemetal 1/76 kit of one of these but I believe it is now out of production which is a shame. Im hoping I can find some.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I think it was BW Models, Michael; the masters may have been sold on.

• Like 1

The ancient Airfix Mk VII has far too many errors to be corrected. I suspect/hope that the Oxford Diecast Churchill air inlets are separate pieces and will pop off (will see when I have one).

I have a photo from the 70s showing warflats carrying Chieftain Tanks. I wonder how that passed the loading gauge or did someone mess up placing such a big heavy modern tank onto a warflat?

post-1776-0-34772900-1476544090_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Am I right in thinking that these were the tractors used post-WW2 by the RNLI for lifeboat launching?

I recall the one at St.Ives (Cornwall) as looking very similar to this one.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

Am I right in thinking that these were the tractors used post-WW2 by the RNLI for lifeboat launching?

I recall the one at St.Ives (Cornwall) as looking very similar to this one.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

No, the tractors I think you are remembering were Fowler Challengers, 13 of which, numbers T56 to T68, were delivered to the RNLI by John Fowler of Leeds between 1954 and 1960. I now own one of them, T62. The ones in the pic do look similar to the Fowlers. From 1962 to 1965 the RNLI took delivery of 13 Case 1000s, T69 to T81, St.Ives did indeed have a Fowler Challenger in the 1950s and early 60s, replaced by a Case 1000 in the mid 1960s.

No, the tractors I think you are remembering were Fowler Challengers, 13 of which, numbers T56 to T68, were delivered to the RNLI by John Fowler of Leeds between 1954 and 1960. I now own one of them, T62. The ones in the pic do look similar to the Fowlers. From 1962 to 1965 the RNLI took delivery of 13 Case 1000s, T69 to T81, St.Ives did indeed have a Fowler Challenger in the 1950s and early 60s, replaced by a Case 1000 in the mid 1960s.

You are correct - a little googling confirms that it was the Fowler that I recall.

The Vickers Vigor was certainly an imposing beast for its time, though!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Do any of the diecast vehicle producers sell an appropriate load for one of these wagons?

Regards

Oxford Diecast are about to release a diecast Churchill tank in their military range, first release a Kingforce Churchill, I'm sure others will follow.

• 1 month later...