Bachmann Warflats

Peter Bedding

Hello everyone

Former WW2 warflat bogie wagon used carry heavy steel in British steel work as internal user ?

Thank you

There were a few:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/alliedsteelwire/h16c82b56#h16c82b56 has been rather drastically modified as a scrap carrier.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/workingtonsteel/hcab27ad#hcab27ad

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bscshelton/h4f50fb0c#h4f50fb0c

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bsclackenby/h1a4d51ff#h1a4d51ff

I hope these links are of use.

Hello everyone

Former WW2 warflat bogie wagon used carry heavy steel in British steel work as internal user ?

Thank you

Yes, There are many! Look at this photo collection. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/modawarflatpfb

If you go past the reasonably modern new build versions you'll see them in use at places such as Scunthorpe, Shelton, Lackenby, Workington. Some have arrived from MoD use at Tata Steel Aldwarke, Rotherham during 2015. These are really useful model [biased, I suggested the model to Bachmann years ago!]

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

Yes, There are many! Look at this photo collection. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/modawarflatpfb

If you go past the reasonably modern new build versions you'll see them in use at places such as Scunthorpe, Shelton, Lackenby, Workington. Some have arrived from MoD use at Tata Steel Aldwarke, Rotherham during 2015. These are really useful model [biased, I suggested the model to Bachmann years ago!]

Paul

Thereby doing us all a good turn. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Bachmann has released CADs of the Cromwell tanks that will act as loads.

Looking good, and I like the magnets to hold them on board a Warwell. It seems that both models have the same hull, D type, which all current scale plastic/Diecast models of this tank use. The difference being limited to the turret with or without side storage boxes. Both are 75mm gunned versions, However they could do 105mm later and a Centeur. A Comet would open up the possibility of an F type Cromwell.

I wonder if Bachmann will ever sell these separately?

Bachmann has released CADs of the Cromwell tanks that will act as loads.

Looking good, and I like the magnets to hold them on board a Warwell. It seems that both models have the same hull, D type, which all current scale plastic/Diecast models of this tank use. The difference being limited to the turret with or without side storage boxes. Both are 75mm gunned versions, However they could do 105mm later and a Centeur. A Comet would open up the possibility of an F type Cromwell.

I wonder if Bachmann will ever sell these separately?

My thought is the other way if I buy MoD ones will someone buy the vehicles as I don't want them!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

• Administrators

My thought is the other way if I buy MoD ones will someone buy the vehicles as I don't want them!

Mark Saunders

JUdging by the efforts Bachmann are going to to produce an authentic model, including several variations, I suspect there will be quite a demand for spare tanks on a popular auction site.

• RMweb Premium

JUdging by the efforts Bachmann are going to to produce an authentic model, including several variations, I suspect there will be quite a demand for spare tanks on a popular auction site.

They are already selling that bit faster and for a little more ££.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Almost certainly Warflats; the tanks look very much like Churchills. The vehicles carrying the crews are interesting; a Gresley brake, but what's the antediluvian vehicle behind?

Guess which coach was for the officers?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

A typical war transport train, not sure if that are warflats with the tanks, Churchill tanks?  , old picture low resolution , from the old 1945 book.

Out of interest, does the book say where the photo was taken? Comparing to some images I have, it looks like Berkhamsted?

Ta. Mac.

Almost certainly Warflats; the tanks look very much like Churchills. The vehicles carrying the crews are interesting; a Gresley brake, but what's the antediluvian vehicle behind?

The antediluvian - though not necessarily significantly less comfortable than a Gresley - vehicle has a Great Central look to it : most other railways put a clerestory* on an arc roof but this looks like a semi-elliptical or three-centre shape. IF it's a Composite ( as it appears ) and IF the Gresley brake is only Third class the officers may be luxuriating in rather faded comfort !!?!

* That's pronounced 'clear-story' NOT 'cle-rest-ory' - before anyone starts arguing !

Out of interest, does the book say where the photo was taken? Comparing to some images I have, it looks like Berkhamsted?

Ta. Mac.

Not impossible that it's a Henry Casserley photo if it IS Berkhamsted ....... so the answer might be yours for a mere twenty quid ! : https://www.waterstones.com/book/steaming-through-berkhamsted/h-c-casserley/9780954383824 .... there should be a photo or two in the right direction.

Not impossible that it's a Henry Casserley photo if it IS Berkhamsted ....... so the answer might be yours for a mere twenty quid ! : https://www.waterstones.com/book/steaming-through-berkhamsted/h-c-casserley/9780954383824 .... there should be a photo or two in the right direction.

Thanks for that Wickham. I knew the Casserley family slightly and was lucky enough to get some of Henry's duplicate prints when the family were thinning out the archive some years ago. There are indeed some shots taken from almost exactly the same spot on the northbound slow platform in the small collection I have and that was what made me think the Tank train image was one of his also.

Always had a hankering to build a layout based on Berkhamsted, so anything additional background info like the above is always interesting.

Thanks. Mac.

Thanks for that Wickham. I knew the Casserley family slightly and was lucky enough to get some of Henry's duplicate prints when the family were thinning out the archive some years ago. There are indeed some shots taken from almost exactly the same spot on the northbound slow platform in the small collection I have and that was what made me think the Tank train image was one of his also.

Always had a hankering to build a layout based on Berkhamsted, so anything additional background info like the above is always interesting.

Thanks. Mac.

Occurred to me that H.C.C. might have been serving King & Country on some distant shore at this time - but ever-reliable ( ??!? ) Wikipedia reckons he "was in military service from 1942–1944, mostly based in the Army stores section at Bicester" .............. so a trip home to Berkhamsted on ( weekend ? ) leave would have been a cinch !

• 4 months later...

A typical war transport train, not sure if that are warflats with the tanks, Churchill tanks?  , old picture low resolution , from the old 1945 book.

I've been a bit slow on picking up on this thread, but there is a bit of film of this train to be found on the DVD "Britain's Railways, the home front war years 1941 to 1943 (SFE, 2013)".  Date is c 1942.  The train is said to be at Harpenden Central and is being pulled by ex LNWR G1 1783 renumbered 9169 by the LMS and rebuilt to G2A in 1939.  The train carried 9 Churchill tanks on Warflats.  (I think they were Mk I's as they seem to have 2pdr guns and a 3" howitzer in the hull, but I'm no expert on them.)  At the rear of the train there was another ancient brake 3rd, see clip attached which I hope one of you experts can identify!

(Edited to add a bit about the Churchill tanks, courtesy of the Wikipedia article)

post-31802-0-87959500-1529348904.jpg

Edited by eastglosmog

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

According to Bachmann at bluebell last weekend the wagons are ready, but there is delay getting the tanks finished

According to Bachmann at bluebell last weekend the wagons are ready, but there is delay getting the tanks finished