Bachmann Warflats

Peter Bedding

Bachmann has released CADs of the Cromwell tanks that will act as loads.

Looking good, and I like the magnets to hold them on board a Warwell. It seems that both models have the same hull, D type, which all current scale plastic/Diecast models of this tank use. The difference being limited to the turret with or without side storage boxes. Both are 75mm gunned versions, However they could do 105mm later and a Centeur. A Comet would open up the possibility of an F type Cromwell.

I wonder if Bachmann will ever sell these separately?

Since writing this, photos on their website show 75mm gunned version and a 105mm Close Support Cromwell. The former has markings the latter not but does have turret side bins.

They could do the 75mm with side bins and the 105mm without in later runs.

Close support Cromwell's were rare in British deployment (technically the HQ units should have had them but they often just stuck with Shermans). Instead most were handed over to free Czech units.

Edited by JSpencer

• 2 months later...

Just received my second batch of Hattons Warwells which has prompted me to consider the Warflats... glaciers have moved more quickly.

Pretty telling that Hattons have been able to R&D and get to market two tranches of Warwells (covering around a dozen variants) in half the time taken by Bachmann to even get three variants of Warflat to market. The slated RRP is a bit naughty as well - with the ubiquitous 15% box shifter discount applied the WW2 period Warflats are going to come in a shade under £47. You are therefore paying £14 for the Cromwell tank when compared with the load-less Hattons Warwell, and I am sure many modelers will not actually want the tank in the first instance. You can pick up a delightful Birdcage coach for just £3 more!

Given that the tanks are allegedly the reason for this product's delay in development it strikes me as a strange marketing decision to put a tank in with these rather than just sell them without load. 

I wanted a rake of these but at those prices I might just have to get a token one, and wait for future discounts...

CoY

£14 for a Cromwell is pretty good. The same from HobbyMaster ready made and painted will set you back more than twice that. Albeit the latter is 1/72nd and not 1/76th and therefore a tad over scale for a Warflat.

Personally, I,m happy with Cromwells as it avoids sourcing a suitable load later.

Oxford do their Warwell with load not short of Hattons being empty but their tank requires work to make it look like an actual tank in WWII which has just been shipped over.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

These can't be far away now as one was spotted complete with tank on their stand at Bluebell this weekend.:imsohappy:

Edited by gwrrob
Wrong exhibition listed
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Hattons just cancelled my Warflat preorder, still a petty rift between them and Bachmann? 

Edit: yep just seen everyone else's comments

Just had the below from Hattons!

Good morning, 

You currently have an outstanding pre-order for the following:

War Office Parrot Bogie Wagon LMS Grey

We are no longer able to fulfil this pre-order and have therefore cancelled the order on our system, and from your account. 

Mark Saunders

2 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Hattons just cancelled my Warflat preorder, still a petty rift between them and Bachmann? 

Edit: yep just seen everyone else's comments

I've decided to slightly spite myself and not re-order from somewhere else, to at least cost Bachmann some sales. This is one of those items of stock that I could do without, would have been a "celebrity train" that doesn't really fit my intentions of otherwise being close to prototypical timetable but couldn't help myself when they were first announced. This rift needs to end. 

On 18/06/2018 at 20:11, eastglosmog said:

I've been a bit slow on picking up on this thread, but there is a bit of film of this train to be found on the DVD "Britain's Railways, the home front war years 1941 to 1943 (SFE, 2013)".  Date is c 1942.  The train is said to be at Harpenden Central and is being pulled by ex LNWR G1 1783 renumbered 9169 by the LMS and rebuilt to G2A in 1939.  The train carried 9 Churchill tanks on Warflats.  (I think they were Mk I's as they seem to have 2pdr guns and a 3" howitzer in the hull, but I'm no expert on them.)  At the rear of the train there was another ancient brake 3rd, see clip attached which I hope one of you experts can identify!

(Edited to add a bit about the Churchill tanks, courtesy of the Wikipedia article)

post-31802-0-87959500-1529348904.jpg

The veteran brake coach is an ex LNWR vehicle closely related to the types produced as kits by Ratio

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

The veteran brake coach is an ex LNWR vehicle closely related to the types produced as kits by Ratio

Thanks for that, Ravenser.  I'd given up on anyone coming up with any info on it!

3 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Thanks for that, Ravenser.  I'd given up on anyone coming up with any info on it!

On checking Historic Carriage Drawings 2 - I think it's Dia D317, the all 3rd brake (as Ratio kit) rebuilt: "at a later date some 36 of the 100 examples were altered to D317 by removal of the two original second class compartments (plus the lavatory ) to produce a longer van end but still with the central lookout"

That appears to be what your photo shows. But I'm out of my direct expertise here - normally I'm a modern image modeller...

Edited by Ravenser
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

warflat.jpg.991d14b7ee3d7c78c3e8223730352293.jpg

We are been informed that the s Bachmann WD 50T Warflat bogie wagons are due very soon. These OO gauge wagons are proving to be very popular and pre-ordering is highly recommended. 

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/2820/wd-50t-warflat-wagons

Models expected:
38-725 WD 50T 'Warflat' Bogie Wagon WD Khaki Green With Cromwell MKIV Tank £46.71
38-726 WD 50T 'Warflat' Bogie Wagon WD Bronze Green With Cromwell MKIV Tank £46.71
38-727 WD 50T 'Warflat' Bogie Wagon BR Grey (Early) £33.96

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

An era issue.... the latest of these 38-727 in grey - is listed as Era 5 which is end of steam / green diesels - (although D838 is listed as era 5 by Bachmann, it aint - its era 6.) - and this appears to be the latest (in terms of usage date) of the forthcoming offerings.

However 38-727 appears to be minus jacks which ought to have been there for loading AFVs... which makes me wonder what traffic it would have been in? What would be the appropriate livery please for an era 6 war flat?

Heres hoping! 

Cheers

Phil

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

An era issue.... the latest of these 38-727 in grey - is listed as Era 5 which is end of steam / green diesels - (although D838 is listed as era 5 by Bachmann, it aint - its era 6.) - and this appears to be the latest (in terms of usage date) of the forthcoming offerings.

However 38-727 appears to be minus jacks which ought to have been there for loading AFVs... which makes me wonder what traffic it would have been in? What would be the appropriate livery please for an era 6 war flat?

Heres hoping! 

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

This was one of the wagons sold for use by BR. They were used for various traffics, including concrete beams, but the ones I was most familiar with were were a small Pool in South Wales. These transported ingot moulds from RTB (later BSC) Landore to steelworks around the UK, up until the late 1970s. Dad worked there from the late 1960s until 1977, whilst I spent the summer vac of 1975 there,passing a lot of time looking over these wagons (though sadly with neither notebook or camera). Most had the jacks removed, though one retained them. All had received some new paint, one being predominately bauxite. I can't confirm this at this late date, but I'm sure Bilston was one plant served, in which case they passed Abbotswood......A Warflat would have carried a couple of ingot mould, one over each bogie.

• Informative/Useful 1