To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Wanted: S Gauge Rail Track

Giles the Zog

Hi,

I'm a wargamer looking for S Gauge rail track so I can run armoured trains for my games in the Russian Civil War, and "A Very British Civil War".

(Just nod politely, and note I have actually put the modelling knife down)

So far the reccommended vendors have proved they can resist the normal commercial practices of responding to e-mails and answering telephone calls. 

I've got just two sections off of e-bay, and am looking for at least 24' worth at least. This means that I can build the rolling stock I have bought (Company B/Brigade Games) as I am replacing the white metal axles with brass rod. But its no where near enough for the size of the games tables I want to set up.

All I need is the rail track, probably rail ties to keep them fixed together. This isn't going to be a functional railway, its more for aesthetic appreance and scenario options, plus the chance to deploy the said armoured trains. My father dabbles in OO/HO scale railways, so I have an idea of what I need, and have plenty of left over track ballast.

If anyone has spare track let me know, or any reliable and responsive suppliers. I am based in the UK, but am happy to import styuff from overseas.

TIA.

Giles

There is no RTR S scale track made in the UK - the only S scale track parts are available from the S Scale Model Railway Society but these parts are to make bullhead rail track with chairs and I suspect that you are looking for flat bottomed rail.   The US is probably your best source and Tomalco the best supplier for your needs.  Tomalco track is imported into the UK and is available from

http://www.teamtracktrading.co.uk/catalogue.php?cat=554&subCat=2062

They are out of stock on two of the products but the Code 100 non-weathered track appears to be in stock.   It's probably worth giving them a call to get an up-to-date position on what's available.

Or,  if the track is purely scenic and not operational,  you could DIY with flat bottom rail from many UK suppliers,  and cut your own sleepers from ply sheet.  The rail could be glued to the sleepers.

Jim.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Russian Civil War may be a bit more complicated as the track gauge there is "broad".

But let's make sure that we understand scale and gauge (which I think Giles probably does as a military modeller). S Scale is 1:64, one of the "pure" modelling scales which does not mix up metric and imperial measurements (3/16ths of an inch to the foot).

I think that Shinohara does S scale track for standard gauge. Try Scalelink.co.uk.

Archived