Falcon in 7mm

steve fay

Perhaps worth pointing out that because something appears on a website, it isn't necessarily correct - although the Class 47 one is generally excellent and a mine of information. There are lots of examples of duff gen. being regurgitated time after time in books and magazines, so we should always be mindful of the possibility of error.

With the lime green / chestnut scheme, I've always wondered if the precise shades will ever be known, being a one off, or if Brush did keep British Standard references for the colours used. Obviously photos only get you so far, as exposure, type of film, processing and printing are all variables that can produce completely different images of the same thing. For example the loco colours in the photo in #275 look very pale, perhaps a result of dark brickwork and jet black bogies, and a typically grotty day in Loughborough!

The other thing with this livery is that on some photos the roof above cantrail and cab level appears off white, with darker shades for the fibreglass roof access panels. This isn't explained by backlighting, and I wonder if at some stage the roof colour changed from lime green. This would be consistent with roofs generally being different colour to bodypanels at the time,  and only with "economy green" then rail blue did this principle change.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Those early images of Falcon are 50+ years old,  and colour photographs and negatives are unstable and deteriorate with time, the dyes in the images deteriorate at differing rates (from searching web for history of colour photography) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just as a matter of interest, has the model got 2 motors, Hornby mag review, or 1 motor, BRM mag review?

Somebodies head should be hanging in shame.

Mike.

The model has 2 drive motors and one each for the fans, so technical it has 4.

Terry.

• 1 year later...

Heljan prices are too high. Look at Dapol.

The prices now are finding their TRUE level. Doing stuff as a "limited edition" in order to bump prices and force folk to buy quickly is bordering on dishonesty...IMHO

Heljan have had stocks of both Falcon and the 60 available for ages, I think that we can forget the idea of any of the other one off’s seeing the light of day now, it begs the question whether they’ll do any thing else to modern as well.

Sadly Steve I fear you are correct. Both Lion and DP2 ended up being discounted in 4mm to clear stock. I can't speak for DP2 but the Lion is a stunning model, with a level of detailed finish that few if any could hope to achieve. A shame as a 7mm Kestrel would have been quite something!

The lack of interest in the 60 is interesting, perhaps folk going in to "O" gauge are mainly older modellers moving up in scale, and for whom a modern loco holds little interest, compared to those that can be run with steam. As you say, it doesn't augur well for other modern types.

John.

Sadly Steve I fear you are correct. Both Lion and DP2 ended up being discounted in 4mm to clear stock. I can't speak for DP2 but the Lion is a stunning model, with a level of detailed finish that few if any could hope to achieve. A shame as a 7mm Kestrel would have been quite something!

The lack of interest in the 60 is interesting, perhaps folk going in to "O" gauge are mainly older modellers moving up in scale, and for whom a modern loco holds little interest, compared to those that can be run with steam. As you say, it doesn't augur well for other modern types.

John.

I think that many people who are in O gauge (or who are moving into it now) tend to have smaller layouts-no surprise there-but the class 60 and a Falcon are very long, space-eating machines. My layout can just hold a Hymek (and a class 22 hopefully) without looking like a shark in a fishtank; both the models are great but not really appropriate for

my needs.

I think that many people who are in O gauge (or who are moving into it now) tend to have smaller layouts-no surprise there-but the class 60 and a Falcon are very long, space-eating machines. My layout can just hold a Hymek (and a class 22 hopefully) without looking like a shark in a fishtank; both the models are great but not really appropriate for

my needs.

The class 45 peak seems to have sold ok ;-) Edited by kernowtim

I always thought Falcon was a most unusual choice for O guage RTR, in particular, as there was obviously only the one built in real life so any one modeller is only ever going to want to buy just one of them realistically.

There are a number of modellers who will own more than one say Heljan class 37 or class 47 in their collection/on their layout as there was so many in real life on BR.

I think this is the main problem with one off prototypes.

OK the Class 60 might not have been Heljan's best seller ever but is it that bad in terms of sales? I see one major model shop has sold out of the EWS livery and another has sold out of the LoadHaul livery.

I'm surprised they did the class 60 & Falcon ahead of other classes such as the Peak and centre headcode 37 which have sold very well but maybe they didn't judge the market too well/were not best advised.

What else is to be done in future after the models already announced are completed?....not much apart from a class 56 (I'm sure this would be popular) and a class 27 (probably less popular). Personally I'd love to see a centre headcode or split headcode class 40. Fingers crossed for one day.....

I always thought Falcon was a most unusual choice for O guage RTR, in particular, as there was obviously only the one built in real life so any one modeller is only ever going to want to buy just one of them realistically.

There are a number of modellers who will own more than one say Heljan class 37 or class 47 in their collection/on their layout as there was so many in real life on BR.

I think this is the main problem with one off prototypes.

OK the Class 60 might not have been Heljan's best seller ever but is it that bad in terms of sales? I see one major model shop has sold out of the EWS livery and another has sold out of the LoadHaul livery.

I'm surprised they did the class 60 & Falcon ahead of other classes such as the Peak and centre headcode 37 which have sold very well but maybe they didn't judge the market too well/were not best advised.

What else is to be done in future after the models already announced are completed?....not much apart from a class 56 (I'm sure this would be popular) and a class 27 (probably less popular). Personally I'd love to see a centre headcode or split headcode class 40. Fingers crossed for one day.....

Completely agree with the comments about the Class 56 in particular. This is the last piece of the ‘O gauge puzzle’ for me and I feel certain would sell rapidly, due to the number of livery variations but also the age of a proportion of O gauge modellers who have fond memories of MGR services and (for me) double tops on the South Wales iron ore services. What a spectacle that was!