Falcon in 7mm

steve fay

I would suggest the original lime & brown, I know there was some issues as to whether Heljan got it right on the 4mm model, maybe this would be a valuable test

Edited by steve fay

• 2 weeks later...

Blue for me Brian.... you could even do two versions, one with it's original '0280' number on which it had applied when repainted blue (it was photographed on the Swindon test plant as such, see the 'Locomotives Illustrated' mag on diesel prototypes)) and as '1200' when it was released back into traffic!

Edited by Rugd1022

Out of interest, what input have they had regarding correcting any discrepancies from the 4mm model?

What was wrong with the 4mm one Jeff? I know a step mid way under the body one side was miss-placed but was there any other errors?

The 7mm Falcon is an all new CAD.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see the August issue of the below average magazine for the average modeller contains a news piece worded to give the impression that its Tower Models that have commissioned Limited Edition Models of Falcon and Kestrel and conveys the impression that they will only be available from them.

Isn't that being a bit glib with the facts?

Yes as per usual.

Great for there marketing machine, but not fare on every other retailer.

They have also announced that Kestrel has been cancelled, Heljan haven't even decided on whether they are going to do it yet. Once again tower have opened there mouths too early.

Edited by steve fay

• RMweb Premium

Why produce these 1-off prototypes, not that they will appear?

Where are the classes 17, 21, 22, 28, 29 with genuine mass appeal?

Still waiting for the AC railbus.....

Dava

Well I ve just pre ordered a Green version to go with the two Warships I have on oreder at Howes, all l need to hear now is there is a 22xx in the offing and my wallet will expire, mind you the chap at Howes did say the Falcons will be a long time coming, so still plenty of time to put the kids on Ebay! 

Bob.C

• RMweb Premium

Lion is another of my faves, saw it on the Yorkshire Pullman at Doncaster circa 1962? Maybe 1963.

Right behind you in the queue for this one too Jeff, Lion in 7mm would look stunning. I d have one even though its not my period, just for display.

Bob.c

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just returned from a visit to Heljan Land and can confirm that the Falcon CAD is all new and not just a blown up 4mm model.

Now, when I get a pre-production model which colour should I paint the first one in?

My vote would be Two Tone Green SYWP please Brian

• 4 weeks later...

One other thing Heljan have never done a re run of a loco yet so every loco produced has been a one off.

Personally I think this might bring more people in to 7mm because once you've bought one thats usually all it takes and your hooked.

I've had some one order one and it's going to be there first 7mm loco and I doubt it will be the last!!!

IIRC, the moulds that Heljan use are only good for about 1000 shots, so when they re-release a model the chances are that they have had to remake or do some work on the moulds as well. 

If this is correct the better models will be at the start of the production run.  

OzzyO.

• 5 months later...

Woo-Hoo!

Excited I am!

I think that livery might be the one, given Brian's search for the elephant.......

Can't wait to see this. What's the time scale between this and actual release? It was about a year for the class 40 iirc.