Ask Dave

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Whats going to be the first thing we can buy that is produced by DJ models? I'm guessing it might be Kernows 02?

Many thanks

Owen

Hi Owen,

Yes I think the OO gauge O2 with the OO J94 not far behind it, then possibly the N J94 and class 17 followed by the class 23, then I'll get the O gauge loco's and July's announcements out.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Dave

One of the frustrations for us rtr buyers, are products advertised by manufacturers, where years later we are still waiting. Your previous employer is a prime example with a number of projects (Turbot, HIA Hopper, MJA Bogie etc) that I'd lay money you were instrumental in the decision to produce, which 4 years after announcing are still a far off dim light in the tunnel (sorry for the metaphor, but it is a rail one). Many of us perceive these announcements to be premature and more designed to protect the model from other potential manufacturers. How can you, as a new and relatively small fish, ensure that you don't get caught in this trap as there are a lot of expectations on DJ Models to produce its proposed range as quickly as possible. You have made a flying start, as originally IO understood you were going to use returns from the first model to fund subsequent model tooling, however you have embarked on tooling for 1 'oo' gauge and 3 'n' gauge models at the same time, that was unexpected.

Regards

Terry

Hi Julia,

Great question, and one that may not reach public knowledge for years, (or ever) unless I publish my memoirs. :-)

Not the answer your looking for, I'm sure, but it's the one I'm sticking too, sorry.

Cheers

Dave

Musical differences, obviously ;)

• Like 1

Dave

One of the frustrations for us rtr buyers, are products advertised by manufacturers, where years later we are still waiting. Your previous employer is a prime example with a number of projects (Turbot, HIA Hopper, MJA Bogie etc) that I'd lay money you were instrumental in the decision to produce, which 4 years after announcing are still a far off dim light in the tunnel (sorry for the metaphor, but it is a rail one). Many of us perceive these announcements to be premature and more designed to protect the model from other potential manufacturers. How can you, as a new and relatively small fish, ensure that you don't get caught in this trap as there are a lot of expectations on DJ Models to produce its proposed range as quickly as possible. You have made a flying start, as originally IO understood you were going to use returns from the first model to fund subsequent model tooling, however you have embarked on tooling for 1 'oo' gauge and 3 'n' gauge models at the same time, that was unexpected.

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry,

Putting a line in the ground and claiming a model is one thing, actually carrying it through expediently is another.

Many things can affect the relatively speedy delivery of such new models, and I know these reasons have been covered elsewhere in other forums.

However I intend to try and be positive and have work in progress where possible before I announce inns.

Sometimes it can't be don't, and I have a couple I'm holding back on just in case Bachmann announce them in July, so I don't waste monies unnecessarily.

I think being open and honest about the whole thing is where I intend to position myself, by using forums such as these and this section, with constant updates where possible, so allow total transparency.

Please don't be mistaken though, into believing that all 4 models authorised for tooling will appear at once. They will be staggered as cash flow just won't allow it any other way ( unless I really did win the euromillions last night ;-))

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

A tooling question: what's the smallest insert that can realistically be done within today's tooling technology?

As an example, the LB&SCR Terriers had their condensing pipes removed and a plate put over the resultant hole in the tank front. There were a few different plate designs and I was wondering which would be the best way of implementing these (admittedly very small) differences:

• by being built into the tooling as an insert;
  • by producing a different tank front for each variant;
  • by being ignored (I imagine the most likely, and obviously cheapest option);
  • by using separate hand fitted parts after moulding

?

TIA

Edited by Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

Firstly can I say that it is certainly enlightening to see you lay bare the economics of production of models. It helps to show why things cost as they do.

With this in mind, I wonder if there is an economic way to produce pre-grouping coaches. They are a sadly neglected area, especailly as they lasted well into the 50's and early 60's. If suitable vehicles were chosen there would be ample varations in liveries that could be applied etc.

I'm guessing that the tooling would be proportionally more expensive than wagons, and I suppose locos too (what with the underframe, bogies, interior etc)?

Andy G

Hi Dave

Have you been approached by any of the preserved railways regarding J94 commissions, there seems to loads still running ?

Phil

Hi Phil,

No, not at all I'm afraid. Sorry.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Firstly can I say that it is certainly enlightening to see you lay bare the economics of production of models. It helps to show why things cost as they do.

With this in mind, I wonder if there is an economic way to produce pre-grouping coaches. They are a sadly neglected area, especailly as they lasted well into the 50's and early 60's. If suitable vehicles were chosen there would be ample varations in liveries that could be applied etc.

I'm guessing that the tooling would be proportionally more expensive than wagons, and I suppose locos too (what with the underframe, bogies, interior etc)?

Andy G

Hi Andy,

There's always more economic ways of producing models.....

Aluminium or soft steel tools are 1 way but you rarely get more than 3-4000 models from them, which is perfect if you want a short run locomotive.

Choosing items that you can use the chassis or bogies for alternate models helps a lot too.

Otherwise tooling ( hard steel) does cost, and in all honesty I rather like the concept of this 'kick start' funding option which anyone can consider, and it could get like minded people the model or models they desire, quicker than if they waited for the majors to get round to them.

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

A tooling question: what's the smallest insert that can realistically be done within today's tooling technology?

As an example, the LB&SCR Terriers had their condensing pipes removed and a plate put over the resultant hole in the tank front. There were a few different plate designs and I was wondering which would be the best way of implementing these (admittedly very small) differences:

• by being built into the tooling as an insert;
  • by producing a different tank front for each variant;
  • by being ignored (I imagine the most likely, and obviously cheapest option);
  • by using separate hand fitted parts after moulding
?

TIA

Hi Ian,

You can get quite small slides / inserts and I'm afraid I've not really got down to less than about 10mm so far so can't totally and with accuracy give you a definitive size answer.

All 4 of your suggestions have merit, and usually the Chinese will for ease of final assembly usually go for point 2, but really your looking at 1 and 4.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Have you thought about going down the Rapido type path.... where you announce something, but nothing happens until you have enough pre-orders to make it viable ??

Owen

Edited by Hippo

Dave

I guess for me another question is what further new technological advances you think we might see in the next five years in N.

At present we have moved very quickly from no DCC compatibility through to solder-tabs, then DCC ready "plug and play" to "DCC on board"

You have consciously designed in provision for a sugar cube speaker in the Clatyon and Class 23, and similarly I understand Bachmann lave left room for one in the new Deltic.(and coreless motor loco drive means space in most tenders too).

Do you see DCC sound developing in importance and is it likely we will see a sound fitted loco RTR anytime soon? Or alternatively is the Market just not big enough and/or prepared to pay the likely price (or will we see the price of sound fitted locos come down as the technology matures?).

Oh and back to my original question really, what do you think is next beyond DCC sound??

Regards

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

Hi Dave,

Do you have an independent factory ready to produce your models, or will they be made in a factory of another manufacturer (I think you can guess what I'm thinking here - Dapol factory as Ixion did)?

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Dave,

Do you have an independent factory ready to produce your models, or will they be made in a factory of another manufacturer (I think you can guess what I'm thinking here - Dapol factory as Ixion did)?

Thanks,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Neither of the manufacturers except Bachmann have their own factory.

My factories are also fully independant. The problem could then arise, I suppose, of looking for production slots. However I am lucky in that my working relationship is very strong with them, and as such I can pretty much get those slots merely by asking.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Have you thought about going down the Rapido type path.... where you announce something, but nothing happens until you have enough pre-orders to make it viable ??

Owen

Hi Owen,

A small typo there made it a little awkward to get the gist, but I hope I answer correctly.

No, I'd rather set my stall out accordingly and announce what I am going to make, and fund it myself.

However, the kick start is a great option for some like minded individuals to get projects rolling, and if they don't raise enough it doesn't get made.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

I guess for me another question is what further new technological advances you think we might see in the next five years in N.

At present we have moved very quickly from no DCC compatibility through to solder-tabs, then DCC ready "plug and play" to "DCC on board"

You have consciously designed in provision for a sugar cube speaker in the Clatyon and Class 23, and similarly I understand Bachmann lave left room for one in the new Deltic.(and coreless motor loco drive means space in most tenders too).

Do you see DCC sound developing in importance and is it likely we will see a sound fitted loco RTR anytime soon? Or alternatively is the Market just not big enough and/or prepared to pay the likely price (or will we see the price of sound fitted locos come down as the technology matures?).

Oh and back to my original question really, what do you think is next beyond DCC sound??

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy,

I think that sound in N is here to stay and, although never as good with smaller speakers, with the sound turned down so it doesn't distort so much, it can really set the scene on a layout, and add immeasurably to the operators pleasure.

It's going to be more and more common for this to be designed into a model on purpose rather than a space left on board. Your right, sound should become cheaper as it matures and we are seeing that with budget sound in OO currently being made available.

I see DCC eventually adopting Plux8 for N with slightly better functionality, but I'm not sure where DCC grows from there really although I'm mulling over a couple of 'secret' ideas.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dutch Master,

It really depends on what your developing, whether it needs laser scanning, and if plans are available for it.

A loco should take about 12 months for a small OO gauge 0-6-0 to 15-18 months for a larger loco.

Wagons are often less, as they don't need gears and motor etc so chassis design is easier and usually less complicated.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I don't have any questions as I'm happy to wait for your products to arrive. I just wanted to say that its fantastic that you have started this thread and already answered so many questions so quickly already! It really is a good sign and I hope that you manage to keep this level of communication going.

I'll spare you my wish list - every prototype that has ever existed has appeared on your wishlist thread!

Many thanks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Ok I will, and yes of course you can, but that's wish list thread territory ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Me? Wish list? Never!

But if your asking, I'll have a ......... and then a ........., and finally, a .........

I can't add any more. All of the sensible questions seem to have been asked. Well done for coming on here, and expounding some of the lesser known realities of making our 'stuff'.

Kick starting seems a reasonable line to take. GW Aberdare, anyone?

Ian

• Like 1