Eastwood L&Y - Can we build a P4 layout in a weekend?

Portchullin Tatty

The gents at the South Hants MRC have risen to my challenge to see if we can build a P4 layout in a weekend.

(Admiral) Ray Hodson and his supporting crew will be in action this weekend, 30 & 31 January 2010, at the Southampton Show which is being held at Barton Peveril College in Chesnut Drive Eastleigh (see http://www.smrs.hampshire.org.uk).

The group intend to build a model of the larger half of Eastwood station, which sits on the L&Y??™s route from Todmorden to Hebden Bridge. This is a double track main line, no small tanks and 3 wagon trains for these guys! These photos show a taster of the real thing??¦??¦??¦??¦??¦.

file.php?id=1106 Looking East 4.jpg (53.8 KiB)

file.php?id=1105 Signal Box & Crossing GetAttachment.jpg (53.47 KiB)

file.php?id=1104 Looking East Across the Crossing 11.jpg (47.45 KiB)

The group are looking to build the larger portion of the station as their challenge for this weekend. This will be an end to end layout at this stage, with a pair of temporary fiddle yards. The intention is to, over time (and they assure me not as another challenge!) subsequently build the remainder of the station and also a pair of curves to make this a continuous run layout. There are not that many double track main line P4 layouts, so we wait with baited breadth.

Over the weekend, I will look to provide progress update postings on this thread to show how the guys are doing. We hope to see as many of you as possible at the show (please say hello and provide moral support at the least!). However, for those of you that can not make it, you can follow progress on this thread??¦??¦??¦??¦??¦..

file.php?id=1107 Photos with thanks to the L&Y Society

Mark

So why have we foisted this challenge on ourselves?

Well, we want to prove that getting a P4 layout up and running is not some impossible challenge that takes most of a lifetime to achieve. This challenge has been done at Scaleforum in the past but we wanted to particularly demonstrate this to a more ???general??? public.

In a world where significant numbers of visitors do not realise that they run their trains on 4??™1??? gauge track, there are many, many misconceptions about what P4 and whether it is something that can be made to work. We hope to chip our little bit off this myth.

So how much do we aim to do?

Quite a lot actually!

We will be looking to make some of the baseboards (although others will have been prefabricated). The trackwork will be assembled over the weekend, laid and ballasted. Turnout operation will be installed, the layout will be wired up and operational and we hope to have at least one working signal.

We will also seek to convert at least one proprietary steam engine and a diesel, to show that this is also achievable if the right example is selected. I did enquire if they would knock a scratch built Pom Pom, but it was felt that there was a limit (and I still carry the bruises??¦??¦??¦.).

Bright and early, the crew were hard at work at Southampton with the layout in a weekend............

file.php?id=1122&t=1 The troops in action............

The track plan that the team are working on is as follows:

pdf.gif Curved_B8.pdf pdf trackplan (281.37 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

file.php?id=1121 trackplan photo Picture 001 compress.jpg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 30 times

The first baseboard was done a little after lunch and the second one is well on the way.................................

file.php?id=1123&t=1 The first board roles off the production line...........

file.php?id=1126&t=1 Nearly there...........................well not really!

file.php?id=1124&t=1 Meanwhile the second one is well underway..........

The trackwork guys are now feeling the pressure...............................

file.php?id=1125&t=1 How many turnouts left to go Tony?

Only 345,323 chairs to go, only 345,322 chairs to go, only 345,321 chairs go..................................

Mark

Hello Mark,

As someone who is about to embark on a first time P4 industrial layout, albeit not as large as the South Hants MRC project referred to above, I will watch this thread with interest! I know that Iain Rice built a small P4 layout in a weekend at one of the Scaleforum exhibitions that I attended, but it certainly wasn't as large or complex as the one proposed in your challenge. Having a dedicated team certainly helps move things along, whereas the lone modeller faces a much heftier prospect.

Good luck!

Cheers

Simon

It does indeed help to have a number of people to help but then we have a deadline......................!!

Good luck with your project and if you need any support or guideance either the RMweb or S4web community will happily help.

Building a P4 layout is not as hard as many (most potentially) make out, but you do need to plunge in! We look forward to seeing it.

Mark

Nearly the end of the day now............Board no 2 has now been finished for a bit, the scenary guys have got ahold of it.

file.php?id=1128&t=1 No 2 board, now both the scenic boards are done.

file.php?id=1130&t=1 The approach ramp is in, ground is starting.

The electrics have been worked on off board, so that several looms of wiring are semi-complete, to be added to the boards later.

file.php?id=1129&t=1 My other hobby is cats cradle

file.php?id=1127&t=1 Whizzy sparkie thing under construction........

Meanwhile, that single slip grinds on..............

file.php?id=1131&t=1 trackwork still going

112,679 chairs to go, 112, 678 chairs to go............

............you will note that Tony has dissapeared - he was last seen heading down the road screaming and jibbering..........

97,301 chairs to go, 97300 chairs to go, 97,299 chairs to go..........

The turnouts are from the P4 Track Co and our thanks go to them for their help in this project - thanks Andrew/Len!

Mark

Not only is a layout being constructed in the weekend, but so too is a little stock to run on it...............

Here we see a new Comet Models chassis being built for a J72. Coupling rods done, hornblocks in, next step is to assemble it..........

file.php?id=1132&t=1 coupling rods nearly there

file.php?id=1133&t=1 now the hornblocks are slotted in place

Eileens Emporium are here (dash down to stock up if you have missed stuff, we are LOTS!!!)

I think most of the group have left their wives in front of the TV (oh dear, he is 5-3 down in the first set as I write this!) and are here already.

So where did we get last night...............

file.php?id=1136&t=1 Progress as at 9am Sunday .................... two boards done and scenary underway. Sooo much better than seeing our tenis star get beat!

The main boards are done and so too are the two fiddle yard turnouts. Some of the scenary is starting and most of the trackwork is complete. Cork is laid and ready for track laying.

But the slip still is not finished.................15,099 chairs to go, 15,089 chairs to go, 15,088 chairs to go.........

file.php?id=1138&t=1 mean while, that slip............

Eileen the third has sponsored the project with some goods, so a big thank you to Eileen's Emporium!

file.php?id=1137 Thanks to our sponsor - Derek Russan of Eileen's Emporium Picture 042compress.jpg (60.75 KiB)

I thought we should keep a check on what we are aiming for with a few more photo's (with thanks still to the L&Y Society) of the real thing............

Firstly, a couple of pictures of the section that we are modelling................

file.php?id=1141&t=1 This is the portion we are modelling

file.php?id=1142&t=1 This will be within the model too - perhaps not that shed though for a pre WW1 model!

And now some of the remaining section of the station that will be done in the future.

file.php?id=1139&t=1 From the crossing gates

file.php?id=1140&t=1 Ouch, a tunnel shouldn't look like this!

If anyone knows the area - does the tunnel still look like this. I am rather wondering how many people will moan at the model version (that will be wonky such as this) and tell us we have it wrong. If a contemporary picture can be found, it might be a useful shield in the future!

Mark

Two momentus stages have been reached...........some might think that the starting to lay track is a big step, I think the group feel that getting that single slip done is actually the really big bit of news!

file.php?id=1143&t=1 Tracklaying commences..............and that single slip is done!

file.php?id=1145&t=1 All hands to the deck!

file.php?id=1144&t=1 The hillside is going in too

4 hours remaining.....................

Mark

Not content with merely making a layout in a weekend, the group are also converting a couple of locomotives to P4 in the time available too>

The simple one was the conversionof a Hornby class 31 using Ultrascale drop in wheels. The problem is, this conversion is so quick, the official photographer missed it! so here is a picture of it freshly converted beign tested on the Great Barfield layout.

file.php?id=1148&t=1 Class 31 on Great Bardfield

In addition to this, we are converting the J72 using a new Comet chassis, split axles, a high level axlebox, new coupling rods - the lot!

file.php?id=1149&t=1 Coupling rods underway

file.php?id=1150&t=1 Hornblocks in......

file.php?id=1151 Frames ready to go together any time Picture 006 frames before assembly compress.jpg (164.9 KiB) Not viewed yet

file.php?id=1152&t=1 And the High Level Gearbox is together

The last stages of the J72 will be in a later post.

Mark

So how is the layout doing.......................

file.php?id=1153&t=1 2pm Sunday

Now, is that laughter or dementia you see here? You decide!!

file.php?id=1154&t=1 fiddle yard nearly there

The two fiddle yards are quite close to done, just got to sort out the connections to the board.

We have also been making a number of the models to go with this. Here is the yard crane, now finished.

file.php?id=1156&t=1 Crane underway

file.php?id=1155&t=1 crane finished

two and a half hours to go...................

Mark

Oh dear, an hour and a half to go....................

file.php?id=1157&t=1 still tracklaying

Most of the hard trackwork is laid, with droppers on.

file.php?id=1158&t=1 an hour an a half to go!

but some of the mainline is left and all of the sidings!

file.php?id=1159&t=1 the chassis is coming together though!

but at least the J72 is about to turn its first wheel in anger!

We are going to do it, but have probably concluded that a layout in three quarters of a weekend is not so realistic!

Mark

Great effort guys - are you getting much interest from the viewing public?

Hi Rod,

Yes there is quite a lot of interest. I understand that a few of the visitors to the show have come to specifically see the layout building too. Quite a number have come in and out of room during their visit to see how we have been doing over the couple of hours of their visit!

• Some of this is incredibility that we would attempt such a task,
  • Some of it is incredibility that it takes so long to make a layout (yes, I can see the contradiction!),
  • A lot of it is real interest in seeing how a layout goes together ????? really, does it look like this when you are making it?
  • A lot is also about particular techniques, be it trackwork, baseboard building, the loco conversions ????? basically the lot.

Everybody has been supportive though - so thanks to you that have visited us. If any of the readers of RMweb have seen us today or yesterday, let us know what you think! In particular, if anybody has been inspired to have a go as a result of seeing our efforts today - whatever scale, era, gauge or whatever, we would be very pleased.

Mark

Like I really need someone to tell me they can build a whole layout in a weekend, whilst it takes me years to get nowhere! lol

No seriously, good look guys. I can't wait to see how much you have managed to do.

Maybe your next plan could be to do me a loft layout in a weekend ???

Dave

Right then, thirty minutes to go.........................

Track is all down, even with one of the buffer stops.

file.php?id=1160&t=1 the yard

The fiddle yards can now be offered up - we may find it is single line working tonight though!

file.php?id=1161&t=1 track now down

because we had prefitted the track with droppers, we can quite quickly wire it up (we hope!)

file.php?id=1162&t=1 an inelegant view of a lady

Mark

Well, we made it but really by the skin of our teeth.

We had a loco running up and down the plain track for a little, but the turnouts took us right to the end of the show andvery slightly beyond. But, by 5:30 we were able to run through both main lines and into the sidings. So we reckon that is a success!

file.php?id=1163&t=1 an overall view of the working layout

file.php?id=1165&t=1 Overall again

The turnouts worked, but with mechanical control below!

file.php?id=1167&t=1 Through that damn slip

Even the yard worked

file.php?id=1166&t=1 The yard

The J72 worked but we did not get time to get the body properly mounted.

file.php?id=1164&t=1 The J72

And that brings us to the end of the show. I can slope off, but there is plenty of tidying up to do.

The current intention is that Eastwood will be out on the exhibition circuit, probably near the end of the year. It will definitely be here in Southampton at the end of next January. See you then?

Well, we made it but really by the skin of our teeth.

We had a loco running up and down the plain track for a little, but the turnouts took us right to the end of the show andvery slightly beyond. But, by 5:30 we were able to run through both main lines and into the sidings. So we reckon that is a success!

And that brings us to the end of the show. I can slope off, but there is plenty of tidying up to do.

The current intention is that Eastwood will be out on the exhibition circuit, probably near the end of the year. It will definitely be here in Southampton at the end of next January. See you then?

Well done gents - I saw the start (well almost) yesterday morning. I look forward to seeing the full layout next year

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Colin

The layout is now back in our club room. I will ask one of the P4 group who frequents this parish if he can give periodic updates. dont expect to much too soon as we have our club show comming up :D :D

Dave

This is incredibly inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing it on RMweb. I cant wait to get started in P4.

Thanks again!

Well, when you fancy making a start in P4 modelling you only have to ask on here, or the Scalefour Society's forum. There's a few of us that are in both places and if we spot your questions we'll be only too happy to give some guidance.

Much success!

Flymo

Archived