The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Hi all,

I light of some of the difficulties some members have had working the connection system, I'm hoping that these images will help.

Bill

Connecting your APT-E

Power Car 1 (PC-1) of your APT-E model is the “brain” behind the train. All electrical functions originate here, especially on the DCC models. The model relies on the 10-pin plugs between the units to carry electrical power to the trailing cars and to PC-2 for both light and motor functions. These plugs must be completely seated in order to make good contact for the model to operate properly. Note that this also means that while PC-1 is self-sufficient and will run on its own, PC-2 is strictly a “slave” and will not operate unless plugged into PC-1.

Connecting the units is actually not that difficult, (as witnessed by the fact that even I can do it...) and with a little practice can be done quite quickly.

post-10397-0-77651200-1460046744_thumb.jpg

Here we see the ends of the power car and the trailing car.

post-10397-0-52412100-1460046769_thumb.jpg

Note the male pins on the plug and the plastic tab above them.

post-10397-0-86884500-1460046783_thumb.jpg

These pins go into the female end of the plug and the plastic tab into the slot above the plug.

post-10397-0-78777800-1460046796_thumb.jpg

Below the plug is a large plastic tab.

post-10397-0-69900100-1460046810_thumb.jpg

This tab goes into the slot between the chassis and frame.

post-10397-0-47653000-1460046827_thumb.jpg

Also note the two pins on the side of the male plug that will engage the two notches in the side of the female plug.

post-10397-0-80999400-1460046852_thumb.jpg

To connect the components insert the large plastic tab into the corresponding slot.

post-10397-0-75717100-1460046866_thumb.jpg

Now tip the intermediate car up about 10 degrees.

post-10397-0-31331100-1460046888_thumb.jpg

Slide the two units together inserting the smaller tab into its corresponding slot. The plastic pins on the side of the plug should engage into the slots with an audible click.

post-10397-0-89164600-1460046915_thumb.jpg

Bring the model back down to level and verify that the plugs have completely seated.

Repeat between each unit.

Should you have issues with headlights or motor functions not working on PC-2 please double check all the connections. Remember, the power has to travel through the entire train so the culprit could be any of the plugs.

Once the model has been assembled and disassembled a few times the clips will polish in a bit and the process will go a bit smoother.

Does anyone know if they are shipping these internationally via UPS as well? I've had mine ordered since 25/06/2014, so at this point not too worried about an extra week or two if its coming by UPS...  Are they shipping international orders last? I saw someone post that earlier, so just wondered and I know the folks at Locomotion are really busy so don't really want to bug them! :)

Thanks

Hi all, we are working hard to get these sets out as quickly as possible. For those who already have them, you know how big and heavy the boxes are so when you've shifted a few of those around in a day it wears us out!!

Shane, i think yours is going out this week as I've been making out courier labels all day and I have certainly made at least one label for a Shane ( I hope you are the same one!)

I think we are half way or just over sending them out so still a way to go yet...

Cheers

Sandra

Think that one was mine, sorry Shane!

Not quite Virgin, but you get the idea...

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?DMU_APT-E_ic.jpg

Or there is this Virgin one...

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?370008.jpg

Wouldn`t dream of altering the APT-E

However the pic of the APT-P has helped sway my choice of livery for my cut/shut 7 car set (Pics to follow when she`s finished in the paint shop)

Does anyone know if they are shipping these internationally via UPS as well? I've had mine ordered since 25/06/2014, so at this point not too worried about an extra week or two if its coming by UPS...  Are they shipping international orders last? I saw someone post that earlier, so just wondered and I know the folks at Locomotion are really busy so don't really want to bug them! :)

Thanks

Mine went to France via UPS. I was the 7th person to place an order and it arrived last Friday.

Not quite Virgin, but you get the idea...

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?DMU_APT-E_ic.jpg

Or there is this Virgin one...

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?370008.jpg

If Branson sees the image of the P-Train maybe he could buy it, refurbish it, repaint it and put it into revenue service :taunt: 

As for my E-Train, could still be in Shildon, or on a plane or with a delivery service some where in Oz

Please don't let it be on a slow boat to China .

John

If Branson sees the image of the P-Train maybe he could buy it, refurbish it, repaint it and put it into revenue service :taunt:

As for my E-Train, could still be in Shildon, or on a plane or with a delivery service some where in Oz

Please don't let it be on a slow boat to China .

John

iirc it was Sir Richard Branson who paid for the APT-P to be repainted in it`s original colours a few years back

Thanks

I was wondering the same and I ordered mine at about the same date. Meanwhile, patiently waiting although I'm hoping it arrives in time for SuperTrain next weekend.

Malcolm in Alberta, Canada

• Administrators

Does anyone know when the APT-E first appeared in spotters books?

Spotters.jpg

By the way, this is number 3 - probably the first non-sound one and so worth beeeelllions in eBay. And I don't care - IT'S MINE!

Edited by Phil Parker
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know when the APT-E first appeared in spotters books?

attachicon.gifSpotters.jpg

By the way, this is number 3 - probably the first non-sound one and so worth beeeelllions in eBay. And I don't care - IT'S MINE!

Thanks for this Phil - rather timely for me.

I ordered two trains ages ago, a DC-ready and a DCC, with the DCC one being something to put away for a rainy day when I get a DCC controller. The DCC one arrived a week or so ago and I'm delighted with it. Furthermore, it runs (after a fashion) on DC.

Having slept on this for a while, I phoned Sandra at Locomotion models. She was happy to refund the order including the postage, she has a waiting list and doesn't envisage models remaining unsold.

At the end of the day, I could let it arrive, sell at an online auction, pay their fees and chance my luck with a winning bidder who "cannot assemble the train", or receives it "damaged in transit" or mysteriously "breaks it fitting a decoder" or any of dozens of potential ills. Or stand to make an clean fifty quid or so (this is the DC ready version). Or I could take the viewpoint, anyone selling at auction right now is plain greedy. Hmmm.

- Richard.

Edit: I'll never know what the s/n was.

Edited by 47137

I was wondering the same thing. Inspiration has suddenly struck (with its usual hollow ######). There are PC1, TC1, TC2 and PC2. Answer: 1122.

Edit: what on earth is the matter with d0ng?

Second edit for spelling. Jason’s instructions are messing my brain up. At the end he says, “He [Kit] is undeniably a living legend.” I understand and agree with that bit.

Or you could always use your certificate number, with leading zeroes to make it up to 4 digits if it's below 1000.

A quick update on my non working APT-E this morning I placed PC-1 on the track and it didn't cause a short ! I've been running PC-1 without any problems at all, just waiting for a good friend of

Mine to pop in and put it together for me, oh, love F16 by the way.

Edited by Brian Hawkins