The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Hi All,

I'm being a bit cautious with this one as I'll do a bit more investigation over the weekend,

Has anybody had any issues with cab lighting? My 'Service Use' one was the DC model and subsequently fitted with Ian's (legomanbiffo) sound file within a week of getting her, but pretty much boxed up, and this is the first time she's been back out. I was doing a modification to the speakers, no problems there but under testing found there was no cab lights working? on Ian's sound file he has added the sound of the switch, which works but no lighting, They are active as checked on the lokprogrammer and the decoder tester and the decoder seems all O.K.

So can only presume there is an issue with PC-1's PCB, On first glance there looks to be an iffy diode, but will check the other E-Train (sound version) if this is normal and swap decoders and power cars around to see if there's any other issues.

Just thought I'd ask first incase this is a known issue, I'll keep you posted on the findings.

Just a side note, Great work Kit on the Karry Kase, looks mint, Will go down a storm at the DEMU, When will KASE'S BY KIT website be online??? Will there be a HSDT one As well???  

Just a side note, Great work Kit on the Karry Kase, looks mint, Will go down a storm at the DEMU, When will KASE'S BY KIT website be online??? Will there be a HSDT one As well???  

Hehehe, it's EXTREMELY unlikely there'll ever be another one, this one took some building and painting I can tel you.

I may just do one for my Turbo-Train, which is even MORE difficult to put together than an E-Train. I'll have the Turbo at DEMU tomorrow, just to make comparisons with other 'Iconic Trains' on Shane's stand.

Hehehe, it's EXTREMELY unlikely there'll ever be another one, this one took some building and painting I can tel you.

I may just do one for my Turbo-Train, which is even MORE difficult to put together than an E-Train. I'll have the Turbo at DEMU tomorrow, just to make comparisons with other 'Iconic Trains' on Shane's stand.

Is that Rapido's Turbo Train? only seen pictures of it, does look a cracking unit, wonder if they would re-release it??? Only turbo train I had was the Tyco Turbo Train as a kid, ran on steel tracks and went up the wall, Literally, Got it somewhere, bit battered and bruised though.

Reference to cab lighting inoperability, mine does weird stuff; they both work for a bit, then eventually one stops working. No idea why and can I get it to work again on that running session?

I've not bought this up because it's a cracking model and I can live without it & everything else works!

Phew, finished the Karry Kase in time for DEMU tomorrow.  :D

Now it has blue stripes, OK not EXACTLY the correct blue, but close enough for Government work, and a set of doors, turbine grilles, 25 kV warning signs and some 'Danger this gap may close' signs. It's also got one windscreen wiper so it must be PC2.  :D

The last pic shows the LocoLift in position to load or unload the train, an excellent piece of work for sure.

Br6fCI.jpg

wwhdEo.jpg

xZlxpM.jpg

HP1PaE.jpg

DsCIF1.jpg

LOL, now that brilliant Kit.

O.K, just checked the sound version's PCB board and that's fine, Also put Ian's decoder into her and happy to say decoders fine and the cab lights were working so no damage there.

So the DC version does have an issue, as you can see, dammmm!!!, Things were going so well!!!. Next port of call is to get her sent off for repair,

Srihaggis, I would get your's checked out, it might not be the case of living with it, It's what damage could be happening to the decoder, it won't take much for a spike to cause untold damage

post-28965-0-73734600-1465027101_thumb.jpg

Where do you find this PCB, on the decoder or on the model, if so which vehicle?

Unfortunately I am all too familiar with that sort of thing as I work with PCBs daily, seeing this is just cringeworthy. I generally allow 1-3degrees movement away from the solder tabs, so that it doesn't violet minimum electrical clearance, but that is just unforgiveable! That is what I would call amateurish. I'd be very interested to see if the PCB's are made in an automated process or if these components are being hand soldered.

If you look at the component "C2" on that PCB, the left hand solder joint appears to be a dry joint... check that also. If it has been sufficently wetted it should be a bit more shiney than that (see other components) but without seeing it in person I can't really say for sure.

Thanks for sharing that photo, will check mine for sure.

Edited by srihaggis

Where do you find this PCB, on the decoder or on the model, if so which vehicle?

Unfortunately I am all too familiar with that sort of thing as I work with PCBs daily, seeing this is just cringeworthy. I generally allow 1-3degrees movement away from the solder tabs, so that it doesn't violet minimum electrical clearance, but that is just unforgiveable! That is what I would call amateurish. I'd be very interested to see if the PCB's are made in an automated process or if these components are being hand soldered.

If you look at the component "C2" on that PCB, the left hand solder joint appears to be a dry joint... check that also. If it has been sufficently wetted it should be a bit more shiney than that (see other components) but without seeing it in person I can't really say for sure.

Thanks for sharing that photo, will check mine for sure.

That's the PCB in PC-1, on the underside, if you remove the decoder, either side of the 21pin plug is a Philips screw holding it down, you can use the 2 green resistors for reference, I'm not going to tackle this one I'm afraid, I took the picture through a watchmakers spy glass.

Happy to report 'Service Use' is back in service, it was that dodgy diode, managed to get a bit of heat on and flick it over with a small craft knife, and voilà cab lights restored. 

Srihaggis, can I just ask do you have the factory sound or non sound version? Legomanbiffo sound file installed if it was the DC model, purchased off Charlie?

If it is the DC model and sound file from Charlie, I might have found the solution,

If Ian could confirm this, Does the cab light go off when the E-Train starts to move, and come back on when stationary? If so that could explain cab light issue. I thought I was going mental at one point,

I have the DCC sound (factory) version. On mine sometimes the cab lights worked no problem during movement then they sort of died randomly.

Might be some sort of issue, My sound version is fine, having said that probably hasn't travelled as far as 'service use' is long, But under testing and general messing about the cab lights have always remained on.

It's easier using the cab light for direction than the directional lighting when running in and out of her vision case.

As for 'service use' she only ran under DC when tested with all 8 coaches, then 4 coaches packed away and the other 4 in E-Trains travel tube, she was packed away for a week, when the Legomanbiffo decoder arrived it was swiftly installed, quickly tested but never really ran (no layout I'm afraid) until the start of this weekend when I intended to setup a test track and run the pair of them to get some mileage, but that was halted when I found the issues on the PCB.

I'm now going to wait until the decoders turn up for the coaches and fit them, and they've been to Simon's (SH Model Making) for the running numbers to be applied before she's next out, Will be worth the wait though.

Get it opened!!! You'll be well impressed with her, is she dc or dcc/sound?

Hope you have a layout to run her on, I don't, Just test track for now but over the moon with the pair of them.

Heh, I only just got round to opening her today and she's an absolute beauty! I'll have to find the time later to properly assemble her and build my test track. Ideally, I'd store her in the factory-made box but if constant coupling/de-coupling could risk ruining the model, I'll have to find some alternative storage (I don't have a metre-long tube of sorts handy at this very moment).

I went with the DC option as DCC isn't a strong likelihood for me. Though I plan on going down an alternative route for sound, I do wish I shelled out for the sound option! I heard it still works and sounds awesome on DC operation.

I'm spending the next hour reading the book and instructions. I've caught a glimpse of the humour they've added, so I'm gonna have fun doing that.

Heh, I only just got round to opening her today and she's an absolute beauty! I'll have to find the time later to properly assemble her and build my test track. Ideally, I'd store her in the factory-made box but if constant coupling/de-coupling could risk ruining the model, I'll have to find some alternative storage (I don't have a metre-long tube of sorts handy at this very moment).

I went with the DC option as DCC isn't a strong likelihood for me. Though I plan on going down an alternative route for sound, I do wish I shelled out for the sound option! I heard it still works and sounds awesome on DC operation.

I'm spending the next hour reading the book and instructions. I've caught a glimpse of the humour they've added, so I'm gonna have fun doing that.

Glad to here it, I have nothing to do with Train-safe and do bang on a bit about them, but as an owner would highly recommend them, Yes not the cheapest but really worth it, the Vision's and travel's are superb and reduce the handling of E-Train.

With the DC version the only sound you'll get out of that is the beautiful purr of the 2 motors, weird I know but does sound sweet!!!

Pretty much the only option for sound is Ian's (Legomanbiffo's) sound file available from Charlie at http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dcc_digital_loco_sounds/legomanbiffo_diesel_electric_digital_loco_sounds/prototype_apte_advanced_passenger_train_legomanbiffo_.php Go for the twin bass speakers they just drop in but do need soldering to the PCB board, watch out for PC-1 when adding the speaker the wire tends to drift for PC-2 and if you have no sound in PC-2 check that first, pretty much most issues will be with PC-1, she is the heart of E-Train.

post-28965-0-60985200-1465073742_thumb.jpg

post-28965-0-73452800-1465073772_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Might be some sort of issue, My sound version is fine, having said that probably hasn't travelled as far as 'service use' is long, But under testing and general messing about the cab lights have always remained on.

It's easier using the cab light for direction than the directional lighting when running in and out of her vision case.

As for 'service use' she only ran under DC when tested with all 8 coaches, then 4 coaches packed away and the other 4 in E-Trains travel tube, she was packed away for a week, when the Legomanbiffo decoder arrived it was swiftly installed, quickly tested but never really ran (no layout I'm afraid) until the start of this weekend when I intended to setup a test track and run the pair of them to get some mileage, but that was halted when I found the issues on the PCB.

I'm now going to wait until the decoders turn up for the coaches and fit them, and they've been to Simon's (SH Model Making) for the running numbers to be applied before she's next out, Will be worth the wait though.

I would assume that a DC or DCC Sound version would make no difference, both are 21pin aren't they? (Unless you're saying the fault is on the decoder??)

My APT-E is currently away having some extra work done on it, hoping to pick it up next weekend so will pop the body off and check it out.

Edited by srihaggis

I would assume that a DC or DCC Sound version would make no difference, both are 21pin aren't they? (Unless you're saying the fault is on the decoder??)

My APT-E is currently away having some extra work done on it, hoping to pick it up next weekend so will pop the body off and check it out.

If there was a fault I could only guess it was the PCB in PC-1, couldn't see why the decoder would be at fault.

There is a difference between the factory sound file and Legomanbiffo's one from Charlie. I know he done them both but the "aftermarket" has more features, and I think a slightly different tone.

Generally you wouldn't have the cab light on whilst driving (bit like a car really) so guessing he has set that up with the "aftermarket" one, so when you move off the cab light goes out. If anybody can confirm this?

On the factory sound version it stays on all the time.

If it's happening on the factory sound version I would look into it a bit more.

DC model same as DCC but without sound, more of the case was it a DC model with the "aftermarket" sound file in it.

Edited by UP 4000

Is that Rapido's Turbo Train? only seen pictures of it, does look a cracking unit, wonder if they would re-release it??? Only turbo train I had was the Tyco Turbo Train as a kid, ran on steel tracks and went up the wall, Literally, Got it somewhere, bit battered and bruised though.

Yes, it is, but Jason's already re-released it once as apparently the drive system on the original release left something to be desired and it was re-engineered. The one I have, in a Canadian Dept. of Transport scheme, is one of the later revised versions.

After writing all that good stuff about it the other day I discovered I'd left it at home as I was en route to DEMU yesterday morning so it never made its guest appearance on Shane's stand I'm sad to say.  :fool:

Red faces at Shildon today as the management of Locomotion and Rapido try to work out why they have a bit left over....

That's the remaining Joint Module that has no home as the train has a 20 ft gap where it should live. The Module itself stars in on of Jason's vids pre the release of the model when he's chasing Bill around the Museum, well worth finding it for laughs.  :D

Yes, it is, but Jason's already re-released it once as apparently the drive system on the original release left something to be desired and it was re-engineered. The one I have, in a Canadian Dept. of Transport scheme, is one of the later revised versions.

After writing all that good stuff about it the other day I discovered I'd left it at home as I was en route to DEMU yesterday morning so it never made its guest appearance on Shane's stand I'm sad to say.  :fool:

That's why we need Kase's by Kit, always know which model we've picked up.

How did the DEMU show go? hope the E-train case went down a storm, plenty of orders I'm guessing,

How many E-Trains were actually there? That would be something,

There's a thought, E-Train day at Locomotion, the biggest gathering of E-Train's along side the REAL E-Train, I'd be up for that!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There's a thought, E-Train day at Locomotion, the biggest gathering of E-Train's along side the REAL E-Train, I'd be up for that!!!

I thought that had already been done. There were 2,000 of them at Shildon but Sandra posted them all across the globe

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This weekend saw the public debut of the Mr.Tilt APT-E transportation module

26876462554_9f0931577e_c.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

I think it was also the debut of the flying APT-E (technically though it wasn't flying......................)

Cheers,Mick

That's why we need Kase's by Kit, always know which model we've picked up.

How did the DEMU show go? hope the E-train case went down a storm, plenty of orders I'm guessing,

How many E-Trains were actually there? That would be something,

Only two APT-E's on show, mine and Kits!

cheers

Shane