Fancy a Budd, Jason?

dibber25

Actually the 'mistake on the lake' was the old Exhibition Stadium where the Blue Jays and Argos played before moving to Skydome.

Veering back on topic, well railways anyhow, Spadina was a nice place to visit as long as you checked in an signed a release first. You were then given a hard hat and allowed to wander about. Mind you, this was all back in the '70s so a very different attitude. Interesting to note the Ontario Northland FP7a and the special Tempo Train RS 18 in the picture plus the MLW S13 and the FPA4s in both CN and VIA schemes. Those were the days, sigh....

Cheers,

David

A few more pictures in post #15 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/23279-a-few-canadian-pictures

(Jason already has copies of these)

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

If you have been around US modelling for a while, you may remember Oscar and Piker!

The Piker was mu first "craftsman" kit -- over 50 years ago.  I've got an Oscar in my partly done, someday collection.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I missed the announcement of the turntable! :sungum:

When I get to the structures stage of my Kingston Sub layout, I plan to do most of them on a laser printer.  And once you're doing one....

So yes, we will eventually sell the turntable. And the roundhouse, to boot!

-Jason

• Like 2

Well Chris, the latest rapido newsletter should have made you a happy man.

I think I've missed something.........goes off in search of Rapido newsletter.

(It usually comes by e-mail but my e-mail account is currently being messed around by a certain Knighted, beardy bloke's media company.) 

CHRIS LEIGH

All these urban RDCs around Toronto are all very fine, but a 'branch line' RDC is even better. Of course, the E&N (Esquimalt (promounce it like its spelt, NOT 'eskimo') and Nanaimo (E&NR) on Vancouver Island is actually a main line but even in 1976 it looked worse than the average English Colonel Stephens branch line. Despite its decrepit state it still took until 2011 for the RDC service to be withdrawn because the track was unsafe for 40mph and below that speed, the VIA couldn't do the round trip in a working day. 

This picture was my first-ever sight of ANY Canadian train. My first visit to my sister's place at Shawnigan Lake in summer 1976 and the railway was just a short distance away, so within hours of arriving  I was down by the line to see what's known on the island as simply 'The Dayliner'. A couple of days later I rode it for the first time - it was still CP Rail then and I have the ticket, issued on board (Shawnigan Lake station was an unstaffed halt - a flagstop where you stuck your hand out to stop the train, just like a request stop for a bus. In those days The Dayliner would stop anywhere 'on flag'. As a huge fan of all things branchline, especially autotrains, AC Cars railbuses and Class 121 railcars, the Budd RDC fitted perfectly into my list. I have a superb 'O' gauge model in the 'hockey mask' livery, of unknown parentage alongside me in my study as I write this. So, Jason, you'll need to put me down for: 

RDC-2 CP Rail hockey mask (because I saw it/rode it)

Original PGE orange/green (because I love it)

RDC-1 or RDC-3 (I need to check) in BCR 'dogwood' (because I rode it)

RDC-1 or RDC-3 (I need to check) in BC Rail blue/white (because I rode in the cab from Lillooet to North Van)

A series 1 car in CN green (because that's what I need for my layout)

I hope that helps!

I've started a Budd RDCs thread in the USA/Canada section, mainly for photos of the cars.

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-35092000-1422200800.jpg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I believe that the pit from the turntable from Spadina still exists; it's the visitors shower room at (whatever it's called nowadays) doomed stadium. Jason, set your phaser to "Scan".

All these urban RDCs around Toronto are all very fine, but a 'branch line' RDC is even better. Of course, the E&N (Esquimalt (promounce it like its spelt, NOT 'eskimo') and Nanaimo (E&NR) on Vancouver Island is actually a main line but even in 1976 it looked worse than the average English Colonel Stephens branch line. Despite its decrepit state it still took until 2011 for the RDC service to be withdrawn because the track was unsafe for 40mph and below that speed, the VIA couldn't do the round trip in a working day. 

This picture was my first-ever sight of ANY Canadian train. My first visit to my sister's place at Shawnigan Lake in summer 1976 and the railway was just a short distance away, so within hours of arriving  I was down by the line to see what's known on the island as simply 'The Dayliner'. A couple of days later I rode it for the first time - it was still CP Rail then and I have the ticket, issued on board (Shawnigan Lake station was an unstaffed halt - a flagstop where you stuck your hand out to stop the train, just like a request stop for a bus. In those days The Dayliner would stop anywhere 'on flag'. As a huge fan of all things branchline, especially autotrains, AC Cars railbuses and Class 121 railcars, the Budd RDC fitted perfectly into my list. I have a superb 'O' gauge model in the 'hockey mask' livery, of unknown parentage alongside me in my study as I write this. So, Jason, you'll need to put me down for: 

RDC-2 CP Rail hockey mask (because I saw it/rode it)

Original PGE orange/green (because I love it)

RDC-1 or RDC-3 (I need to check) in BCR 'dogwood' (because I rode it)

RDC-1 or RDC-3 (I need to check) in BC Rail blue/white (because I rode in the cab from Lillooet to North Van)

A series 1 car in CN green (because that's what I need for my layout)

I hope that helps!

I've started a Budd RDCs thread in the USA/Canada section, mainly for photos of the cars.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thought you'd be posting on this, Chris, when I saw the Rapido newsletter!  

I believe that the pit from the turntable from Spadina still exists; it's the visitors shower room at (whatever it's called nowadays) doomed stadium. Jason, set your phaser to "Scan".

A "doomed" stadium David? Do you know something we don't know about the attempt to convert Skydome to real turf?

Cheers,

David

• 9 months later...

We're having an enjoyable time in New Hampshire, recording the sounds on the real thing.  

But honestly... this thing sounds exactly like a Voyager.  I'm not kidding.

-Jason

(We also got to run Jim Abbott's 1:8 scale layout. Now that was fun!)

post-20909-0-23258500-1445988329_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-02696300-1445988336_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-76678700-1445988347_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-69613600-1445988354_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like a Voyager? Budd cars usually sound like they are ticking over, with loads of power in reserve. Voyagers - truly AWFUL trains that only the British would tolerate - sound like they are having the guts thrashed out of them, even when idling. If the Budd car is the Rolls Royce of DMUs (alright, the Cadillac) then the Voyager is the Skoda and the Pacer is the Trabant. (CJL)

• Like 2