Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Of absolutely no use to my current modelling period whatsoever.

But if the price is right I can see it being very difficult to resist for a "little project" - which I'm guessing is exactly the point of it, an inexpensive stepping stone into 7mm modelling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do bear in mind (I assume...) that there are still bits missing from that first pre-production sample including (as much as it pains me) a lot of rivets.

http://www.kesr.org.uk/images/stories/railway-stock/steam-locomotives/32678-knowle/32678_Knowle_at_Bodiam_290510.jpg

Actually it looks to me as if it might have too many rivets.  According to photos in the condition portrayed (wrapper smokebox and smokebox wingplates) there should only be a total of 8 snaphead rivets on the sidetanks whereas it appears to have 10 12 with two extra pairs between the line of 3 at each end and the pair (one each top & bottom) in the middle.

The smokebox wrapper and wingplates are correct in being totally devoid of any snaphead rivets.  Snaphead rivets on the smokebox wrapper don't seem to have appeared until the later style of drumhead smokebox - then only initially at the rear end of it on at least some engines - while snaphead rivets on the face of the smokebox only seem to have appeared on the engines with drumhead smokeboxes - and not on all of them in earlier years.  Incidentally while I refer to a drumhead smokebox it is possible that the wrapper was applied differently and it might not be a true drumhead smokebox.

So in the condition seemingly represented by the pics of the engine posted above it either represents one which had acquired additional rivets on the side tanks or it has too many; the lack of visible snaphead rivets on the smokebox and wingplate is perfectly correct.  Overall it looks to me to be much more of a 'Webster' job than a Dapol one - which could bode well.

Edit to correct my counting of rivets!

Edited by The Stationmaster

I guess it's definitely a "refer to prototype images"  situation then (you'll have to forgive me, I model diseasels) and it isn't clear which version of final product this is.

Still, I am sure that the various versions will find homes on many current and would-be O gauge modellers projects and projects-to-be, and I'm sure we can see many models of the Hayling Billy and/or Langstone Harbour Bridge coming up in the next year or so.

If I was looking for something to tempt me into O gauge with a modest Colonel Stephens approach then this locomotive would fit the bill.

I don't know how many rivets it should have but it looks a very good approximation of a Terrier and would be at home with a few wagons or a single coach on some slightly overground track.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1

If I was looking for something to tempt me into O gauge with a modest Colonel Stephens approach then this locomotive would fit the bill.

I don't know how many rivets it should have but it looks a very good approximation of a Terrier and would be at home with a few wagons or a single coach on some slightly overground track.

A prize to the first person to model this successfully  :)

http://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/images/stories/topics/edge_hill/2_edge_hill.jpg

I hadn't even thought of a Colonel Stephens arrangement - perfect excuse for a hotchpotch of mismatched stock picked up cheaply second hand :)

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A prize to the first person to model this successfully  :)

http://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/images/stories/topics/edge_hill/2_edge_hill.jpg

I hadn't even thought of a Colonel Stephens arrangement - perfect excuse for a hotchpotch of mismatched stock picked up cheaply second hand :)

And the number of snaphead rivets on the sidetanks appear (from the rust patches) to match the Dapol sample - wonder if they'll copy the, hmm, 'livery'?

The  "Rivets"  on  the  side  tanks  are  nor  rivets.

The  side  tanks  were  originally  heated  by  exhaust  steam  returned  from  the  smokebox  through  the  pipes  visible  on  the  model,  the  raised  items  at the front  of  the  tanks  are  vents  for  this.

In  the  days  of  feed  pumps  this  was  a  good  idea  and  the tank  was  also  lagged.  This  was covered  by  an  external  cladding  sheet  attached  by  nuts  onto  captive  studs.  it  is  the  nuts  which  are  visible  and  they   should  be  hexagonal.

The  Terriers  retained  this  cladding  sheet to  the  end,  long  after  heating  and  lagging  had  been  removed.

Most  rivetting  as  originally  built  was  countersunk  &  flush.

In  later  years  prominent  rivets  do  appear  on  smokeboxes  and  a  mix  of  flush  and  raised  was  also  common.

As  many  people  have  said,  in  their  later  years  all  the  Terriers  were  different  in  details.

Model  looks   very  good  and  I  will  order  one.

My  unbuilt  kit  can  rest  awhile  longer  (along  with  all  the  other  unbuilt  kits)

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Aside from space, two of the things that put many off O are the cost and the lack of availability of RTR. Heljan have been doing a splendid job making very nice relatively affordable O gauge diesels and this looks like it'll be a cracking way to dip a toe into O with a nice little steamer. There is still the rolling stock issue (I wasn't that impressed with the Heljan Mk.1) but Dapol are doing some wagons. Although I do not have space unless I converted the garden (I've already asked and been told no...... :nono: ) the emergence of nicer RTR at prices that are within range of modellers not on the Sunday Times rich list will I hope really grow the O hobby. So well done Dapol and others like Heljan and Lionheart.

• RMweb Premium

a cracking way to dip a toe into O with a nice little steamer.

So well done Dapol and others like Heljan and Lionheart.

. . . and of course don't forget the groundbreaking introduction of the Hudswell Clarke (and more recent Fowler) by Ixion . . . :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, I agree, Ixion have done some great work in making O Gauge attractive to a new audience as well as appealing to existing modellers in the scale. Certainly a great period for the scale!

Indeed, I agree, Ixion have done some great work in making O Gauge attractive to a new audience as well as appealing to existing modellers in the scale. Certainly a great period for the scale!

With the appearance of decent rtr stock, have these last few years been the first real progress in O gauge for 50+ years...?

Edited by cromptonnut

With the appearance of decent rtr stock, have these last few years been the first real progress in O gauge for 50+ years...?

Not quite, as a modeller back in the 70's who left in the 80's and came back to it early 2000 this period also marked a quantum leap in kits with the improvement in standards in castings, with the introduction of etching, with resin used in products such as Sparmac coaches, with CAD, and with much improved track components. It gave the modeller tools to produce accurate loco's and stock, which had before been a bit hit and miss, with pressed tinplate loco kits that needed considerable skill levels if a good result was required. This was perhaps the time when the hobby moved from scratch-building almost everything to kit building.

Where you are correct is in the standard, and affordability of rolling stock, ready to run loco's, and buildings, which have made it possible for people to do in 0 gauge what they could previously in 00, and marks the change from kit building to RTR detailing and shake the box layouts, both of which should be welcomed as bringing new interest to the scale. Some of these modellers will doubtless start to have a dabble at kits and scratch-built buildings and 'fill-in' gaps in the market to complete their layouts, so it will hopefully see benefits to all sectors of the hobby.