4mm Turntables and Operating Mechanisms

Hi All,

I would be grateful for people's thoughts and ideas on the above. I am building a ficticicious LMS terminus based somewhere in the West Midlands which will have a MPD and turntable attached. I'm unsure about which available turntable would best suit the layout. As far as the operating mechanisms are concerned, they vary greatly in price and I would like to know what other people have done on their layouts, which in their view works well.

Regards,

Mark

Best available?

Depends what you want.

Ease of installation, fully automatic: Heljan.

Best for detail, but not easily indexed etc: Metalsmith.

I used the Frizinghall Model Railways unit to drive mine - noisy but inexpensive and seems to work well (apart from the worm gear occasionally coming off the end of the spindle if I've gone round the same way too often!). John Thorne's Purbeck layout uses three of them and I don't think he's had any issues.

Turntable itself is cut-down Airfix.

• RMweb Premium

I'm in the process of installing two ADM turntables on the EM Carlisle layout which has had a few mentions on RMweb. I've had some teething troubles (which ADM have fixed) with these but they were very early production ones and I'm sure latest ones will be very good.They are rather expensive but I would definitely recommend them. The only snag for an actual layout is that are based on the Peco turntable which is much bigger than any used in UK. These two are in an off-scene loco yard so this doesn't matter. It's a pity that proprietary turntables are made bigger than 70' diameter, which will turn any British loco, many people don't seem to realise that it's only the wheels that have to fit on the turntable bridge, not the whole loco.

Archived