Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Looking forward to seeing this develope. Sheffield did have interests from different railway companies in its past. The only thing that requires changing to make this practical is that the GC changed its habit of allowing other companies to use its passenger facilities. Each company did have its own freight terminals, so we had GN, GC, MR, SYJR (which included the LYR). So, if the G!c had not allowed others to use its passenger facilities, this would have happened.

Although, looking at the history of Sheffield, this idea could easly be expanded by adding a few freight facilities and/or a goods shed to a minimum passenger layout like this.

• RMweb Premium

Like the look of this Clive, and look forward to seeing how you get on with it.  Ingenious use of a Peco single slip to effectively make a scissors crossover, on a curve, whilst maintaining the normal 'six foot'!  Are the grid lines on your plan 1ft squares?

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Thanks for the "good vibes".

Looking forward to seeing this develope. Sheffield did have interests from different railway companies in its past. The only thing that requires changing to make this practical is that the GC changed its habit of allowing other companies to use its passenger facilities. Each company did have its own freight terminals, so we had GN, GC, MR, SYJR (which included the LYR). So, if the G!c had not allowed others to use its passenger facilities, this would have happened.

Although, looking at the history of Sheffield, this idea could easly be expanded by adding a few freight facilities and/or a goods shed to a minimum passenger layout like this.

Hi Chessy

The history of this layout comes from an old DEMU challenge to build a layout based on the Minories idea and no bigger than Cyril Freezer's first plan. Myself and my mate went ahead and designed a P4 layout under the working title of Cloggtown (Alan Monk aka Cloggydog was exhibition manager at the time). The idea was to place this station somewhere on the southern end of the Pennines, for there to be LMR and ER stock and for it to be an ex L&YR station. This never progressed pass the design stage.

Next was my take of the track plan but in 00. This has the working title of Cripplegate, the only original gate in the London Wall that does not have a station or major road named after it. Work started on the point work, all copper clad. This has stalled owing to there being some derailment issues that I need to sort out. This is going to be an ER (ex GNR) London terminal.

There is a thread on here about Minories type layouts and someone pointed out that Birkenhead Woodside has the potential for a Minories style layout. There was a single slip forming a scissors crossover, so me being me played around with some Peco templates and this is what I came up with. This time I wanted to go back to an ex L&YR station, with a mix of ER, NER and LMR units and looking at their route map Sheffield was not directly served so in my alterative universe it is/was.

As for freight, the plan is for there to be a large low relief goods shed above the fiddle yard tunnel.

Like the look of this Clive, and look forward to seeing how you get on with it.  Ingenious use of a Peco single slip to effectively make a scissors crossover, on a curve, whilst maintaining the normal 'six foot'!  Are the grid lines on your plan 1ft squares?

Hi Steve

It was drawn in Anyrail and they are 1 foot squares. I then copied and pasted the track plan into MS Paint to plonk on the scenic ideas.

Update.

3 of the ex Hanging Hill baseboards are now free of any track, wiring etc. Only one to go. So I hopefully track laying can start soon.

Brisbane Road is covered in bits off Hanging Hill, some of these will be reused on Brisbane Road. 

Tynsley Servicing Depot is still in the planning stages, I have been considering various methods of baseboard construction as this will not be a layout from the flat earth society.

Pig Lane Yard, an inglenook layout still waits is scenery but is operated now and then because it is fun.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have slightly revised my plan and settled on a traverser which needs to be built.  Mike (The Stationmaster) has been wonderful in checking out my signalling ideas.

post-16423-0-32155200-1409072317_thumb.png

Porgress has been halted as Brisbane Road needs to have some work done on it for the up coming Shenfield exhibition, all the tut that had been placed on Brisbane Rd is now on the "empty" baseboards of Sheffield Exchange.

I have been busy with some coaching stock, I have started to convert an Airfix/Dapol LMS non corridor Brake Second Lavatory into the more common Brake Second without a loo, a likewise a non-corridor composite less the loos. I have enough BS(L) to make a couple of non-corridor seconds. I will be modifying the roofs of 3 of them to represent period 3 coaches. This will be my LMR local hauled set. The ER local set has also been started, work on a BR Mk1 composite lavatory has started. I have two seconds to convert into open seconds with lavatory. I don’t know I am denying the LMR passengers of the luxury of spending a penny and at the same time fitting loos to the ER sets. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Clive, I'm looking forward to following this mate, BUT how come none of your Army chaps BLEW the track OFF OF Hanging Hill? hahahhaaaa

Bodge

Hi Bodge

It was left to the TA railway operating squadrons of the Royal Engineers. Just like on the Longmoor Railway, the first unit would have their summer camp and practice lifting the track and the second unit would arrive for their camp and practice laying the track. Owing to a delay at somewhere call Bottom Bitton their train is stuck and second lot cannot get to Sheffield for their summer camp to lay my track. :angry:

• Like 1

Hello Clive,

Ah I have fond memories of Sheffield Exchange.

The end of platform 3 was our favourite spot as the retaining wall behind afforded some protection from the winds sweeping across the Steel City. There was usually a strategically-placed platform barrow that we sat on to eat our sandwiches and drink our pop that we had brought in our duffel bag.

I clearly remember my last visit. We'd been to Sheffield Victoria and after a trip over Woodhead, thought we'd see if there were any "cops" at Exchange.

Those DMUs coughing their way over the pointwork lingers long in my memory.

Unfortunately I didn't have a camera in those long-off days to record the scene and I seem to have lost the spotting notes of my visit.......

I look forward to seeing how your layout captures the station.

Regards Peter (who may have a faulty memory)

PS Still spelling Tinsley wrongly I see.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Clive, thanks again for your help with the maps / coordinates on Bitton.

I'm still waiting for more pics,

Cant see anything running yet, hahahah

All the best mate.

Bodge.

Hi Bodge

It is still buried under the junk off Hanging Hill :umbrage:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul, Peter, Alan, Mickey and HeeleyBridge

Thanks for your comments. As soon as I have done my stint with Brisbane Road at the Shenfield Exhibiton (20th September 2014, at Shenfield High School, Oilver Road, Shenfield, CM 15 8RY. Free bus from Shenfield station.http://offtherails.x10.mx/memrc/exhib.html#top) I shall press on with Sheffield Exchange, I too am loking forward to running trains not just shunting locos.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have cleared all the mess off the baseboards and cut the track to size. Here are some progress photos.

post-16423-0-06298500-1414974682_thumb.jpg

Station throat, looking towards the fiddle yard.

post-16423-0-35085700-1414974759_thumb.jpg

Point work looking towards the station.

post-16423-0-59689500-1414974861.jpg

Looking at the station.

The fiddle yard is an eleven road traverser. It was built by fellow Witham club member Jim for another member, Richard. Richard gave it (and the other three traverser boards) to our mate Paul. Who in turn has let me have one board. I only needed one.

post-16423-0-87615900-1414975067_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-91322300-1414975086_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-13058100-1414975112_thumb.jpg

Putting a few items of stock on sometimes helps get a better impression

post-16423-0-83710700-1414975547_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Last night I played around with the track in the station and I cannot make up my mind which looks better, as planned or this new idea.

post-16423-0-77609800-1414975701_thumb.png

It is just a rearrangement of the platform layout.

post-16423-0-00818800-1414975821.jpg

And with some stock on it.

post-16423-0-77536700-1414975889.jpg

post-16423-0-15350300-1414975915_thumb.jpg

I also keep thinking about the name, should it go back to Cloggtown or even Cloggheaton to give it a more northern flavor?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The stock represented in these photos is the two sets of non-corridor that will serve the station. The LMR set is being rebuilt from Airfix/Dapol LMS non-corridor lavatory coaches. I will also alter the roofs so that they look more like the later period 3 stock. So far I have started on the brake second and the composite.

post-16423-0-68658100-1414976339_thumb.jpg

BS

post-16423-0-51819000-1414976364_thumb.jpg

Composite

The other set for the ER and will be converted to outer suburban stock with lavatories. This is what I done so far to make the CL.

post-16423-0-07455900-1414976525_thumb.jpg

This is the side with the first class compartments on the left and the corridor for the second class on the right.

post-16423-0-87049000-1414976596_thumb.jpg

The opposite side. The compartment between the first and second compartments will be converted to the toilets, the quarterlights blanked off and the door window enlarged to represent that of the toilets. All the groves for teh doors on the corridors and the toilets need filling in and new ones made where the doors are repositioned.

I intend to make the 2 seconds I have into a pair of non-corridor second open (lavatory).

Only I could convert one type of coach from lavatory to non lavatory and another set add the toilets.

There are plans for some DMU conversions as well.

Edit; I should read my own old post, I have already said I was doing the coach conversions, this time there was pictures.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Stationmaster Mike has helped me with the signalling and the point rodding so give him a break I am throwing this one out into the open. Ok all you signalling experts out there, where would the cabinets for the track curcuits go?

post-16423-0-26143200-1414977291_thumb.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive, I'll be interested to see how you get on with the coach conversions, particularly the CL.  I contemplated such a conversion a while ago but decided there wouldn't be much left of the upper part of the sides if I carried on with it, and bought some brass sides from Marc Models instead!  Having just carried out a couple of conversions to SLOs, I must admit I've so far taken refuge for the moment in a couple of Hornby Thompson CLs instead.

The layout looks as though it'll be interesting and look forward to seeing your progress with it, but I'm afraid I can't help with the location of the relay cabinets.

• RMweb Gold

Clive,

I've an idea lurking in the back of my mind that with (some?) older types of track circuit you might need equipment at both ends of longer sections (e.g. the platforms) plus sometimes stuff had to be within a certain distance for electrical reasons - the chaps whose knowledge you need is Signal Engineer  and LNER(GE).  

Also it wouldn't surprise me if electrical depression bars were provided at the stop block ends of the platform lines depending on the date the signalling was installed  (and VoL switches but you wouldn't need to model them, too small!).