Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Ah, the 16ton mineral police... close cousins to the trap point police from whom I am still awaiting a visit.

Sorry for the delay, we’ve got builders in so I haven’t had time to put pen to paper! I’m taking a lead from Swansea High St which is almost a flipped image of your layout.

Paul.

There must be a Japanese word for what seems to be a whole genre of music otherwise known as "diminutive women making a disproportionate amount of noise on guitars and drums".

Google gives me

ギターとドラムの若い女性

Gitā to doramu no wakai josei

=
Young lady with guitar and drum

Nice to see the Japanese for guitar as "gita", and drum as "doramu". Not so sure about Whacky Josie, although not a bad name for a lead singer.

• RMweb Premium

There must be a Japanese word for what seems to be a whole genre of music otherwise known as "diminutive women making a disproportionate amount of noise on guitars and drums".

Google gives me

ギターとドラムの若い女性

Gitā to doramu no wakai josei

=

Young lady with guitar and drum

Nice to see the Japanese for guitar as "gita", and drum as "doramu". Not so sure about Whacky Josie, although not a bad name for a lead singer.

Just simply とても良い

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, if anyone else has any thoughts please let me know.

I forgot last night's song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT-_dJ8Qbt0

Since you asked, it all looks too congested to me especially once the trains are in the picture. You are able to run long trains, which look really great but to my eye they need space not confinement. The goods depot spoils it to my eye. I can't come up with any better idea, other than to suggest perhaps trying to work out a parcels depot running along side the main line similar to Paddington with a girder bridge across the whole lot. I guessing a bit because it's difficult to judge from photos, but if you are going put an overall roof on the station as well you might not get the visual benefit of the long trains, and to my mind the long trains are your trump card ( trump visual effect ). Just a personal view of course.

• RMweb Premium

Since you asked, it all looks too congested to me especially once the trains are in the picture. You are able to run long trains, which look really great but to my eye they need space not confinement. The goods depot spoils it to my eye. I can't come up with any better idea, other than to suggest perhaps trying to work out a parcels depot running along side the main line similar to Paddington with a girder bridge across the whole lot. I guessing a bit because it's difficult to judge from photos, but if you are going put an overall roof on the station as well you might not get the visual benefit of the long trains, and to my mind the long trains are your trump card ( trump visual effect ). Just a personal view of course.

Hi Jazzer

The plan always was to end the scenery where the two lines went their own ways. It is supposed to be in them middle of a city so I am trying to recreate that feel.

I first had a similar idea to what Stu posted, but I was unsure of the bridge crossing the tail ends of the sidings so when Dan posted about Moor Street Goods, it seemed right.

With the long trains which the photos cannot show is that they will appear from under the bridge and my eye will follow them down in to the station. Now you mentioned my idea of an overall roof, well last night I had second thoughts. I think there might be about 9 to 12 inches of roof over the buffer ends and then canopies along the platforms for about another four coaches long. Think Norwich Thorpe. What I need to be able to do is uncouple the locos, I am going to install some means of auto -uncoupler but there will be times when the hand Vishnu will be required so I have to get in. As I write this I am also thinking, modernish  canopies, think Derby. Sheffield was bombed badly in WW2, Exchange Station lost its overall roof? Canopies hopefully will enable a better view of the long trains.

My idea of just the front of the train shed modelled, I think would cut the longer trains in two.

I know this appears to be a negative to your comments but keep them coming (every one please) as it makes me think of what I am doing.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jazzer

The plan always was to end the scenery where the two lines went their own ways. It is supposed to be in them middle of a city so I am trying to recreate that feel.

I first had a similar idea to what Stu posted, but I was unsure of the bridge crossing the tail ends of the sidings so when Dan posted about Moor Street Goods, it seemed right.

With the long trains which the photos cannot show is that they will appear from under the bridge and my eye will follow them down in to the station. Now you mentioned my idea of an overall roof, well last night I had second thoughts. I think there might be about 9 to 12 inches of roof over the buffer ends and then canopies along the platforms for about another four coaches long. Think Norwich Thorpe. What I need to be able to do is uncouple the locos, I am going to install some means of auto -uncoupler but there will be times when the hand Vishnu will be required so I have to get in. As I write this I am also thinking, modernish  canopies, think Derby. Sheffield was bombed badly in WW2, Exchange Station lost its overall roof? Canopies hopefully will enable a better view of the long trains.

My idea of just the front of the train shed modelled, I think would cut the longer trains in two.

I know this appears to be a negative to your comments but keep them coming (every one please) as it makes me think of what I am doing.

Could you finish the goods area off with a pictorial extension of the sidings using forced perspective? The vans on scene will be static so the perspective trick should work and hide the line behind too. For a prototype big over bridge across the platform ends and over the goods sidings - Bradford Forster Sq.

Hi Jazzer

Cuttng back the overall roof might be a good idea. Years ago in one of the mags there was a brilliant model, I cant remember what it was called but who built it but it  a supposed Midlands terminus in late steam/early diesel era  where it was supposed that the 100 year old roof was life expired and removed , leaving the supporting walls, giving a good view of the trains. The effect was really impressive and stuck in my memory ever since.

There are lots of prototype examples you could utilise. From Memory, I think Penzance has a short canopy in relation to the length of the trains and of course Cannon Street springs to mind in having its overall roof removed completely around the late 50's/early sixties. I know its a much smaller terminus but North Woolwich was bombed in WW2 and the platform canopies were blown away and never replaced giving no weather protection  to the passengers but giving me a great view of the trains from the footbridge ! . So if Sheffield Exchange is running down toward closure or if the station is around 100 years old at the date modelled there is plenty of scope for reducing the overall roof or doing away with it completely so that might be the way forward. Hope this is food for thought.

Being really pedantic now, but looking at your mock-ups again that slope leading form the goods shed to the bridge looks very steep to me. Think of the cab roads that used to run down to the platforms at Paddington  and Liverpool St. They were fairly gentle slopes having been built in horse and cart days and poor old Dobbin would lose his footing if it were too steep. Even in the fifties and sixties you wouldn't want to be struggling up too steep a slope on a little three wheeler  Scammel Scarab with a loaded trailer or even less coming down with hardly any braking ! Just my thoughts.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive

How about the canopy at Cleethopes, just covers the concourse,you could extend to cover the first carrage .

Not a million miles from you in darkest Lincolnshire.

Not sure on the goods yard, try just the rear with no visible vehicle access ,just a yard to park the trailers . Perhaps a old stable block,or remnants of.

Derek 19b

I think looking at it again and again and again that you don’t need the bridge going up. A slight gap between the goods shed and the raised wall upper level bit (think Wolverhampton low level) and just model the back of the good shed with either a traversed or small wagon turning turn table thing would do? Then fill the back with junk etc make it look in loved and very BR 60’s :) possibly some old war junk like the remanants of a scrapped station canopy (bomb damage) dumped where they could whilst the damaged track was repaired?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The position of the scenic break is determined by the two starter signals. These will mark how far a loco goes along the departure lines when moving to and from its loco yard. I have placed the signals in-situ for the moment. I don't want the locos to disappear from view when doing these moves.

The first plan was to have a nearly straight road going across both lines. It would look boring and not pleasing to the eye.

post-16423-0-79678200-1547648238_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-81369500-1547648259_thumb.jpg

What to do with the triangle between the lines?

post-16423-0-33076400-1547648306_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Next idea was to angle it, From my normal position I wanted something that went parallel with the edge of my field of vision.

post-16423-0-98085600-1547649981_thumb.jpg

It also worked better than a straight road when I walked in to the train room.

post-16423-0-55911400-1547650009_thumb.jpg

And when I shuffled around the buffer end of the station.

post-16423-0-31107200-1547650061_thumb.jpg

Still that void

post-16423-0-12224300-1547650088_thumb.jpg

It had to be something railway. That is when I thought about the tail end of a goods yard. So I experimented with a bridge going across the ends of the tracks , this didn't look right.  Dan's suggestion about Moor St good shed seemed to a good idea. On mocking it up the other night it worked for me.

• Like 2

It definately needs to be a reason for the lines splitting.

Either:

1) geography as in some horrendously difficult to cut through rock feature or maybe a pre Victorian mill that is on an embankment? As well as being the source of the local revenue maybe it was too powerful for the line builders to overcome?

2) the goods yard. Parcel yard. Or a wagon workshop?

Prototype: Birmingham Moor St

Prototype: Nottingham Low Level/High Level and Nottingham Midland. The low level became a parcels/goods station

Prototype: Leicester Belgrave Road

Prototype: Leeds Wellington and surrounding stations

3) gasworks? Railway served but also a great view blocker

Hopefully those ideas are of some use?

Edited by danstercivicman

Yup, Norwich still has some old sidings in the triangle. They would still have seen regular use during Clive's era, I think it was mostly engineering and other railway related traffic rather than commercial goods though. A simple couple of sidings sticking out of an additional bridge arch may work rather than the many you currently have for the shed though Clive? Puts something in the triangle and reason to add railway clutter around it.

• Like 1