Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I had a little session this evening

When going through my boxes the other day I never knew I had so many box vans, so for an experiment I ran a perishables train into the station.

post-16423-0-27264400-1547939638_thumb.jpg

It is seen passing a local to Doncaster.

post-16423-0-98372600-1547939682_thumb.jpg

It is held at the signal, not too sure of the delay?

post-16423-0-27593300-1547939727_thumb.jpg

Apparently three old ladies wouldn't get out the rear coach and move on to the front two. They are on a trip to see Cliff Richard in Leeds but were sat in the Bradford part of the coach. This has delayed the departure of 15.20 to Leeds and Bradford.

post-16423-0-79001200-1547939919_thumb.jpg

All sorted and the signalman can get on with routing the other trains. The Leeds and Bradford is seen passing the arriving perishables.

post-16423-0-64123400-1547940022_thumb.jpg

It is due in platform 8. Platform 8 is wider than the other platforms as it has a roadway for the (road) parcels vans.

post-16423-0-67794000-1547940106_thumb.jpg

The road vans are already in place to be loaded as fast as possible, not only to get the produce to the customers but to clear the platform for the afternoon peak trains.

post-16423-0-65708300-1547940346_thumb.jpg

It is all hands on deck as the porters and drives mates swap the boxes of fruit, mainly strawberries today but depending on the time of year can be anything fresh.

post-16423-0-48678800-1547940358_thumb.jpg

Now that is surprising, looks like Standard 4 being coming off shed to take the "Fruit" as the locals call the perishables train. It has been in diesel hands for the past two years.

post-16423-0-08311800-1547940486_thumb.jpg

It is going haul the "Fruit", we are lucky today.

post-16423-0-11109500-1547940632_thumb.jpg

Things are getting busier, a six car train has just left for Huddersfield, it isn't one many adults like to travel in as it fills up with school kids on route.

post-16423-0-15288700-1547940667_thumb.jpg

As we are about to leave what is normally a DMU to Barnsley departs in the shape of a Type 2 with four mainline coaches. The traction foreman has put the diesel that normally would haul the "Fruit" on this train. he must have a reason but we don't know.

post-16423-0-12376000-1547940952_thumb.jpg

Well is time to go home for tea.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Changing the subject, and throwing the pigeon in with the cats at the same time.

I bought this months Railway Mudeller, for my mates Nobby and George's layout, Towcester, Mr Wrights comments and those two wonderful articles on modelling LMS?BR highs and the one on fish vans. Well my eldest looked at it and said , I think they have the roof curve wrong on that....pointing to Accuracale's Deltic. The more I look at the more I think she is right. Best keep this to this thread. It looks like they have started the curve at the bottom of the cant rail grilles, where it starts just below the framing of the grilles.

"3300hp with 18 cylinders an engine and two engines, that's 36 cylinders .... that's why they're special"

And 72 pistons. Fascinating film clip. I was on D9000 from Edinburgh to Newcastle to point out the landmarks in the dark to Peter Semmens, who was the official timekeeper.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When going through my boxes the other day I never knew I had so many box vans, so for an experiment I ran a perishables train into the station.

attachicon.gif100_5595.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5596.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5597.JPG

Apparently three old ladies wouldn't get out the rear coach and move on to the front two. They are on a trip to see Cliff Richard in Leeds but were sat in the Bradford part of the coach. This has delayed the departure of 15.20 to Leeds and Bradford.

attachicon.gif100_5599.JPG

All sorted and the signalman can get on with routing the other trains. The Leeds and Bradford is seen passing the arriving perishables.

attachicon.gif100_5601.JPG

It is due in platform 8. Platform 8 is wider than the other platforms as it has a roadway for the (road) parcels vans.

attachicon.gif100_5603.JPG

The road vans are already in place to be loaded as fast as possible, not only to get the produce to the customers but to clear the platform for the afternoon peak trains.

attachicon.gif100_5604.JPG

It is all hands on deck as the porters and drives mates swap the boxes of fruit, mainly strawberries today but depending on the time of year can be anything fresh.

attachicon.gif100_5607.JPG

Now that is surprising, looks like Standard 4 being coming off shed to take the "Fruit" as the locals call the perishables train. It has been in diesel hands for the past two years.

attachicon.gif100_5608.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5609.JPG

Things are getting busier, a six car train has just left for Huddersfield, it isn't one many adults like to travel in as it fills up with school kids on route.

attachicon.gif100_5610.JPG

As we are about to leave what is normally a DMU to Barnsley departs in the shape of a Type 2 with four mainline coaches. The traction foreman has put the diesel that normally would haul the "Fruit" on this train. he must have a reason but we don't know.

attachicon.gif100_5611.JPG

I like the Scammells all lined up for a Le Mans start.

attachicon.gif100_5595.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5596.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5597.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5599.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5601.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5603.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5604.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5607.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5608.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5609.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5610.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5611.JPG

Now that is really looking good, I too like all the Lorries lined up, very nice mate, a total opposite to what I do, but I like it, nice and busy, but convincing.

• Like 1

That operating session just looks like so much fun, I can totally immerse myself into the narrative your layout is giving.

This is the essential nub of the hobby for me. Sense of place with a purpose too. Brilliant!

Hi, Clive

Really impressed with your dmu fleet, especially the rebuilds as well as the large and mixed rakes. One thing I haven't yet seen in your photos which used to run in my (now your) area is a dmu hauling a parcels van (most commonly a CCT or SPV). I'm not sure whether it was a common occurrence in the Sheffield area, though. Probably a bit too much of a clat to have the pilot messing about with in a busy station. Looking forwards to more excellent pics

Regards

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Clive

Really impressed with your dmu fleet, especially the rebuilds as well as the large and mixed rakes. One thing I haven't yet seen in your photos which used to run in my (now your) area is a dmu hauling a parcels van (most commonly a CCT or SPV). I'm not sure whether it was a common occurrence in the Sheffield area, though. Probably a bit too much of a clat to have the pilot messing about with in a busy station. Looking forwards to more excellent pics

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

The Gloucester parcels car has arrived from Manchester a few times with a GUV or CCT behind it, not sure if I have photographed it. There is no reson other than I haven't done so far for any of the trains not to arrive with a parcels van. I would suspect this would happen during the quieter periods because the pilot engine mucking about with a single van could delay the arrival and departure of the other trains.

• RMweb Premium

That operating session just looks like so much fun, I can totally immerse myself into the narrative your layout is giving.

This is the essential nub of the hobby for me. Sense of place with a purpose too. Brilliant!

Hi Chard

The sessions would even be more fun if the twit of a fat bald bloke didn't keep making mistakes. Not too many last night, helped by listening to Åsa Söderqvist

• RMweb Premium

And some people moan about their jobs. :derisive:

Unpaid, on a Saturday during the Christmas/New Year break.

Our rugby game that day had been cancelled because of frost, so I'd wandered down to Waverley to have a look. One of my very senior colleagues from the Eastern Region spotted me.

"Happy New Year John. Are you busy?"

"Same to you David. Not really, just having a look."

"Good. Do you know the road to Newcastle?"

"Yes, more or less."

"Right. Peter Semmens is our timekeeper and isn't sure he'll pick out the landmarks in the dark. Ride up front and tell him where we are."

So, on 2/1/82 I rode in the cab of 55022 from Waverley to Newcastle and rode back in the cab of an HST. A pleasant evening out.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

No, I should do but it finding somewhere to use the airbrush without making the bungalow smell of paint.

Hi Clive

Its taken me a few years to get to that stage but with the spray booth I have there is no smell of paint in the house. I did around two hours of painting last night and you wouldn't have known I'd done any.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive

Its taken me a few years to get to that stage but with the spray booth I have there is no smell of paint in the house. I did around two hours of painting last night and you wouldn't have known I'd done any.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

It might be worth investing in one. I have about five years worth of models that need painting.

Hi Paul

It might be worth investing in one. I have about five years worth of models that need painting.

I got one for Chrimbo from my partner and his mum. With being asthmatic it will be much better (though I have a face mask too), but need to source a longer exhaust hose to reach a window for where it is, folds quite compact as well.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive. I've been following the thread for a while, not chipped in before but just wanted to add to the DMU fanbase. Really impressed with your modifications and the multi unit lashups remind me of my earliest independent travels on the Cambrian and West Wales lines mid-late 1980s. Ok wrong area, but the need to check which cars were going to Aber or Pwllheli resonates with your "ladies going to Leeds" sequnce. And I miss being able to see the view forward in all the so-called "modern" units....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rich.

Tonight I had another operating session, not much to say about it except the operator errors are reducing. I did have two unexplained derailments, one was quite spectacular. The leading driving car of the Trans Pennine derailed but some how the front bogie re-railed itself on the other track, seeing a coach travelling at speed on two different tracks was a tad unusual.

I been getting some running problems with the Trans Pennine, fast in one direction, but dragging its heals like a kid who doesn't want to go to school. I took the power bogie out, ran it both ways and couldn't work out what was wrong. It was like a brake was being applied. So I stripped it down, I had over oiled it, which wasn't helping. I gave it a clean up drying quite a bit of the oil off with a piece of kitchen towel. The brushes had worn with a slight angle on them so there may have been less electric contact with the commutator in one direction. The commutator gaps were full of muck and the contact plates where very dirty. I reassembled it. The beauty of the old Hornby clip fit ringfield motors you can run them coupled to the pick up bogie, both physically and electrically. I ran it a short distance both backwards and the other way and it seemed OK. So I thought a few laps in each direction then back in the motor coach. Zooooom it went then THUD as it hit the deck. To get the kitchen towel I had to go to the kitchen and to get out the room I had lifted the bridge...............

All is now well with the Trans Pennine.

Thank goodness the lineside photographer was busy in his dark room today.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

"So I thought a few laps in each direction then back in the motor coach. Zooooom it went then THUD as it hit the deck. To get the kitchen towel I had to go to the kitchen and to get out the room I had lifted the bridge............…"

Priceless !

• RMweb Premium

Now there's a challenge - interlocking the signals and controllers with the lifting section. I'm sure the life-sized railway must do it, otherwise the Norfolk Broads would be unnavigable due to sunken DMUs.

Look this is being built and operated by a simple fat bald bloke with the attention span of a goldfish. :rtfm:

• Like 1

Now there's a challenge - interlocking the signals and controllers with the lifting section. I'm sure the life-sized railway must do it, otherwise the Norfolk Broads would be unnavigable due to sunken DMUs.

simplest method is a section of track before / after that is dead when bridge is lifted.. no fancy stuff.. microswitches should do :)

• Like 1