"Old" Farish Pullman carriages

Gremlin

Hi All

I would like to put together a rake of "old" style Farish (or other) Chocolate & Cream Pullman carriages to represent something from around era 3 or 4.

I see that there are 0643, 0646 and 0656 carriages available on ebay etc, what others should I have...or were made...to make up a rake?

Hi All

I would like to put together a rake of "old" style Farish (or other) Chocolate & Cream Pullman carriages to represent something from around era 3 or 4.

I see that there are 0643, 0646 and 0656 carriages available on ebay etc, what others should I have...or were made...to make up a rake?

There were only those you list, and 0643 is fairly rare I think with Golden Arrow logos (so only useful for the southern region Golden Arrow train). I usually run 0646s topped and tailed with 0656s and a Mk1 full brake at the end just to finish it off (have seen prototype pictures of this on the ECML, albeit with Mk1 Pullman cars).

Cheers,

Alan

Precision Labels produce some vinyl overlays for the old (Poole-era) Farish Pullmans to increase the names of coaches available and allow complete trains to be modelled.

Bournemouth Belle and Golden Arrow http://www.precisionlabels.com/l12.html

Custom Pullman names http://www.precisionlabels.com/sl18.html

Pullman logo and livery overlays. A quick and easy way to improve the livery of the Farish coaches http://www.precisionlabels.com/sl19.html

• 2 weeks later...

I was browsing only yesterday a sample N GaugeJournal 1/10 jan-feb.  Page 54 onwards has an article by Steven Bateman on renumbering Farish Pullmans - albeit Mk 1's. Maybe Model Master do transfers for earlier stock - check N Gauge Society Shop (the mk 1's catalogue is MMT402)

• 1 month later...

So...now the proud owner of a rake of 0646 and 0656 carriages and looking for recommendations of loco(s) to pull them...

Piccies please? :)

As for motive power, it depends on where you are modelling. Personally I like all things west-country. Since the GWR didn't run Pullman trains, that leaves the SR. I would probably go for the Devon Belle behind a nice sleek Bulleid Pacific.

http://www.semgonline.com/misc/named_03.html

Exeter_St_Davids_Up_%27Devon_Belle%27_ge

I do not know if the south wales Pullman was a GWR service or just a BR(WR) one but you have a fair point. The GWR was not completely Pullman-free but in general they did prefer their own super saloons.

The LMS and LNER both made use of Pullman coaches. I omitted them because I don't really model them.

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 1

Precision Labels produce some vinyl overlays for the old (Poole-era) Farish Pullmans to increase the names of coaches available and allow complete trains to be modelled.

Bournemouth Belle and Golden Arrow http://www.precisionlabels.com/l12.html

Custom Pullman names http://www.precisionlabels.com/sl18.html

Pullman logo and livery overlays. A quick and easy way to improve the livery of the Farish coaches http://www.precisionlabels.com/sl19.html

Thanks Karhedron,

Just placed an order for all labels for pre-war Queen of Scots 8 cars. I'd have been floundering without your information. Now all I have to do is get the whole set ready for TINGS.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Karhedron,

Just placed an order for all labels for pre-war Queen of Scots 8 cars. I'd have been floundering without your information. Now all I have to do is get the whole set ready for TINGS.

Cheers,

Mike

Once you have applied the labels, I would appreciate some information about how you applied them (the process), how easy/difficult it was, traps (if any) and your comment on the quality of the outcome.  I would like to do the same, but would appreciate the comments and experience of others before I stuff it up :)

Cheers

Once you have applied the labels, I would appreciate some information about how you applied them (the process), how easy/difficult it was, traps (if any) and your comment on the quality of the outcome.  I would like to do the same, but would appreciate the comments and experience of others before I stuff it up :)

Cheers

No problem,

I'll let you know how I get on and post some pictures. They have even offered to resize the brake car labels as I have converted all my Farish Pullmans to all steel K class units, making the brake cars a slightly different panel size. Excellent service so far.

Mike. 

• Like 1

Labels have been posted with a couple of extra brake end panels (foc) to enable me to cut and shut them to fit my modified cars with the minimum number of cuts. Resizing would have been difficult, so it's the cut and shut method I'll be using for the brake ends. The parlour and kitchen cars will fit without modification.

Friendly and efficient service dispatched next day.

I've still got a bit of painting to complete on each of the eight car set, but I'll attempt to get at least one car ready to receive it's new identity as soon as possible so I can let you see how things progress.

Labels arrived today.

Printing is crisp and detailed. Pullman crests are in my opinion superior to Fox transfers.

Umber is a shade too dark, but it is coloured to match the Farish coaches which are also too dark. 

I'll have to respray the umber on the coaches so that the labels blend seamlessly.

A little more work than I'd thought, so please give me a little time.

All eight cars must be ready for TINGS though.

All roof details are now done to include correct vents and electric fans as well as rivet ribbing and rain strips for 1928 condition.

I think that the interior details may have to wait until after TINGS.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the update and, pardon the density of the question (I am in Australia after all!), what is TINGS?

The International N Gauge Show.......Not quite so international then!  ;)

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1

My camera is a little limited when it comes to close up work, but I thought that you may be interested to see the new labels. Where the image is out of focus/blurred it is because of the cameras limitations. The printing is very sharp.

There is a comprehensive instruction sheet with the set.

post-7607-0-76670800-1409386214_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-62196000-1409386251_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-95675200-1409386297_thumb.jpg

The coaches have just had their third coat of cream, and will require one more coat after rubbing down. Then the new umber colour will be sprayed on after masking. Then finally I can get on with attaching the labels...finally!

First set of labels applied to kitchen first Phyllis.

Application.

Colour matching for my repainted umber is still not as good as I'd hoped, but that's not the fault of Precision labels.

I cut the labels out with scissors and then coloured the edges with dark felt tip to eliminate the white.

After ensuring that the coach side was smooth and dust free I gently pressed one corner of the label into place and smoothly pressed the rest of the label down ensuring it was straight. The process was fairly easy and as with all things, better for taking some time to ensure accuracy.

Observations. 

The labels are designed to fit the Farish Pullman cars in their original condition, and the length of each panel is a perfect fit.

I have modified the height of the panels of the cars to cover most of the massive sole plate, so the labels are slightly short in height. They will fit an unmodified car perfectly.

The fitted labels do give the cars a finished quality that was lacking on the Farish product.

Paint.

I have used the Precision Paints Pullman cream for the waist panelling.

I cannot recommend the Precision Pullman umber as it will not match the labels, so I used Vauxhaul Brazil Brown which isn't so good a match either. I have not found a good match for the Farish umber. Perhaps someone out there knows of one?

Conclusion.

I'd recommend the labels for a quick and easy conversion and improvement to these cars.

I'm still not entirely happy with my umber colour, but running on an exhibition layout the overall effect is good enough.

Photos of my bodges will follow in the next few days.