Larkrail 2014

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

I have just uploaded details of all of the attractions at this year's "Larkrail"

It takes place at the New Oriel Hall in Larkhall on the east side of Bath about 1.5 miles from the station.

What's at Larkrail

£4.00 entry all comers, accompanied children free entry.

Saturday 19th July 10.00am until 4.30pm

Bus services 6/7 to Larkhall from Bath bus station (stand outside Debenhams)

Bus service 13 to Lambridge, then walk up Upper Lambridge Street (250yds) departs Bath bus station

On street parking around hall

A very short walk from The Titfeld Thunderbolt Bookshop

All profits to go to local charity for the homeless Julian House

Last year's show raised £161.41 for the charity, thanks to all who attended and I look forward to welcoming visitors this year.

Simon Castens

Beeeee - Baaaarp!

post-19301-0-37751900-1404498978.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Tim will indeed be in attendance, in full banana and bonhomie dispensing mode!

We are having a meeting today at a secret West Country destination, it may involve lunch, beer and a possible steam train....

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Traders are few, being The Gas Cupboard and Brian Osborne's "Branchlines" emporium.

Laurie Griffin is also demo-ing and so is a sort of trader, whilst my "Titfield Thunderbolt" shop is just across the road.

Although I haven't listed any stock i on my website I stock quite a large range of model railway items, Peco, Bachmann, Ratio, Wills, Parkside type stuff.

We should also have a classic bus running from Larkhall in and out of Bath, stopping by the hotel and Lambretta's bar on North Parade.

It will be driven by Mike Bass of Strawberry line fame, Bath Services Bristol Lodekka 969 EHW, provided courtesy of Martin Curtis of the Bath Bus Company and owners Mike Walker and Alan Peters.

Simon

Looking forward to seeing you all again at LarkRail on Saturday. I'll be lurking around with Maurice Hopper on 'St Juliot' in S scale.

As he's forgotten to post it (tut-tut, I dunno), here's Simon's poster and handy map of how to get to the venue:

post-14107-0-09189300-1405557910_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-77014100-1405557921_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil!

Just to say that the bus service is definitely on

We will aim to depart from  North Parade at 10.00am and then on the hour until a last departure for Larkhall at 2.00pm.

There is no charge for using the bus in either direction.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Alas, and with some regret, I won't be able to partake this year Simon as I am called away elsewhere on Saturday.  I'm sure the day will go well as it really is a rather special little event and one I would recommend to any modeller (and don't miss the bookshop folks, definitely a 'destination' in itself my wallet found last year).

Or even BA1 6RA....

Why not be a little more polite with your original request? A 'please' would not have gone amiss and may even have got you the direct answer you wanted.

Hope those attending have an enjoyable time. I've never managed to yet plan a trip down Southwest to coincide with this exhibition. One day...

Andy

Or even BA1 6RA....

Why not be a little more polite with your original request? A 'please' would not have gone amiss and may even have got you the direct answer you wanted.

Hope those attending have an enjoyable time. I've never managed to yet plan a trip down Southwest to coincide with this exhibition. One day...

Andy

I think I'll do some modelling instead

Watford MRC and the North London Group welcome new members

Postcode?

Don't forget, we bumpkins can't find our way around without a SatNav, even if half the time we can't get a signal on our "mobile devices".

You big city people squatting in the Queen's front garden don't have that problem!

• RMweb Gold

Line flooded at Trowbridge so my train now cancelled when we eventually get into Westbury!!!

Stuck in a queue just after Warminster. I'd just dropped the car off at the garage so that's my plans blown. Enjoy the show.

The trains packed so the replacement buses, when they find some, will be too so I'm heading back home to let those travelling on their hols have the seat :(

RESULT everyone got off and they reopened the line :) on the way only 20 late.

• RMweb Gold

Well the sandwiches and cake were very nice and got me over the shock of CK's knees ;)

Great little show and bumping into people you know who introduce others easily filled 3 1/2 hours including the vintage bus ride right back to the station. Naturally I didn't escape the clutches of the Titfield Thunderbolt without some wallet attrition but did refuse the psychotherapy cards as I decided I like being me still. You'll have to ask the chaps in the shop about that bit Simon ;)

Worth the trip despite the travel problems as the info was good and my train full but not overcrowded.

• RMweb Premium

I had a great day at Larkrail with London Road Locomotive Sidings. The layout had a few gremlins, but hopefully they weren't too obvious to viewers.

Thank you to those who said nice things about the layout, hopefully it proves that not all "diesel depots" are the same, and for those who took photos, hopefully it will inspire them to build something in a small space.

Thank you also to the fellow exhibitors, demo-ers, the buffet car staff, and of course Simon for organising it (although he did rather over order on rain!). It's a great little show, and very friendly and relaxed.

I'm exhausted now, but then I did only get 3 hours sleep last night, thanks to a magnificent thunderstorm.

Well, that really was the last time I shall be out with St Juliot!

Did anybody notice that I had failed to bring the shunting chain? Several people noticed the missing fiddle yard ... space considerations.

What a delightful little show to finish with.  I was very glad of the open window behind my operating area which helped over come the humidity of such a thundery day. 

Layout ownership has been transferred, with its new home now being in Cornwall... appropriate to find both my recent disposals finding their way back towards their geographical context.

With further plans for several small layouts "in the crate", I hope perhaps I might be allowed to exhibit at Lark Rail again.  At least one of the future plans will have a smaller footprint than St Juliot. 

My thanks to all those who have shown an interest in this little layout.

• RMweb Gold

A great little show in every way.

Thank you Simon (Mr Titfield Thunderbolt!) for putting it on. 

There were some quality demonstrators present including Gordon Gravett, Barry Norman, Laurie Griffin and not forgetting CK demonstrating his skills in banana salesmanship (he has a T-shirt to prove it!)

It was good to see 'Branchlines' there with all their most useful must buy goodies for all those 'bottom drawer projects'.

..and of course some delightful modelling on display.

A great time even if my wallet wouldn't agree, not helped by a visit to a certain well stocked bookshop just down the road!

A few cameraphone snaps before the battery got low:

Llawryglyn EM Cambrian

post-6728-0-90961700-1405846894_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-24057500-1405846909_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-46863800-1405846935_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-05122500-1405846962_thumb.jpg

St Juliot S Scale.

I particularly liked this M&GN Cornish Mineral Beyer Peacock.

post-6728-0-95495400-1405847080_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-03945300-1405847140_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-19229800-1405847179_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-62944600-1405847200_thumb.jpg

Castlederg Irish narrow gauge.

post-6728-0-94464100-1405847277_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-14975800-1405847308_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-10458600-1405847324_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-49979200-1405847338_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I had a splendid day, lots of people through the door and hopefully everyone had a good time despite the weather/humidity! It did clear up into a lovely evening though. 

Managed to spend some time out of the kitchen looking at some really great models, of which I rather shamefully took a grand total of zero pictures. Plenty of inspiration though!

Also - Simon has ordered me to make a public apology for a rather iffy batch of grey tea :P I've not been sacked yet but I don't think I could stand another tongue-lashing!

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much to everyone for their attendance and comments, and thank you too for the photographs taken, the ones I took were all complete rubbishrolleyes.png

I had a great day despite the at times desperate weather, attendance was considerably up on last year at just over 200 adult visitors and to our amazement the skies cleared on cue for the pub and later soiree.

If I say so myself the quality of the exhibits was exceptionally good. I am both grateful for and flattered by the quality of all those attending and and also humbled by everyone's generosity. This year's exhibition has raised £250+ plus for Julian House against last year's £160.

The bus was a joy, I moved into this area at the end of 1970 and it was on this type of Lodekka that I used to travel to school. Seeing it parked up in Larkhall Square was something really specialsmile.png

post-19301-0-72664200-1405898332_thumb.jpg

Lots of conversations as ever, hugely enjoyable, lots of really inspiring modelling and thank you again to everyone who came along and made it such a great day.

See you all at the same weekend and same place next year!

Simon

PS The tea could have been worse Corwen (I do approve of recycling, just not teabags) but thank you very much for your company, wit and hard work - all very much appreciated!!

• RMweb Gold

And thanks to Mike driving the bus for the personalised drop off service :)

Once you introduced John we had an entertaining half hour sat in the bus chatting to all who hopped on to avoid the rain or travel.

• RMweb Gold

As usual, a really wonderful day, many thanks to all involved. We are lucky enough to be involved here pretty much every year in some capacity or other and it is one of the highlights of the model railway calender - all the attributes of a small local show yet punching well above its weight in terms of quality. As Simon would say, marvellous! 

Jerry

Archived