Inspired by Berlin Friedrichstrasse

Claude_Dreyfus

I keep promising myself a small cameo layout based on Hackescher Markt, before it turned all posh!

http://www.bahnbilder.de/bilder/geschmueckter-s-bahnzug-zum-1mai-historischen-189198.jpg

I'm planning a (fairly generic) take on that as I used it a lot during the early 90s; happily I've acquired some appropriate stock in N (some of it here in Japan where it pops up very occasionally).

32082449996_ae45daaa60_z.jpg

german-station-mockup-2017-01-05 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This could be too new for your era, Halling is currently offering the HK series of the Berlin subway system, powered for 224 euro. As spare parts, they offer U-Bahn powered chassis for 90 euro as well, these are pretty universal for Berlin U-Bahn stock I believe. Availability of the latter is reported to be "Limited", so once sold out, it'll probably be a while before a new run is commissioned.

HTH!

Way too modern and for the narrow-profile U-Bahn lines, so not even suitable for the U6 which passes beneath Friedrichstrasse.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not too much modelling to report, but we took the opportunity to set the layout up last night have have a play running session.

post-6831-0-46432900-1494067199_thumb.jpg

One small change is that the church base has been added.The building itself is with a club member for construction - looking forward to seeing it complete!

post-6831-0-01592600-1494067373_thumb.jpg

More fettling and adjusting for the front arch on the rover bridge. A Piko DR130 is given a workout on the S-Bahn line - its sound chip was being a little cantankerous.

post-6831-0-23052900-1494067849_thumb.jpg

An ESU 218 is ready to give it the beans as it waits to leave F/strasse. The syringe in the foreground contains oil for the smoke generator. The Roco Kroc in the background has just been fitted with a chip - needs a little refining; a job for another evening. Eventually this view will not be possible, as it will be obscured partly by the canopy and partly by the station building (which will be in the foreground, obscuring the hole in the embankment side (which is one of the main station subways))..

The station building is based on F/strasse, and has been drawn up using various photographs (although given the space available, as well as the difference in height of he track level, there will be modification for it to fit). This currently being drawn up in CAD before going off for laser cutting - either in wood or card. Hopefully it will make a striking centre-piece to the station area.

post-6831-0-03593200-1494068356_thumb.jpg

Not a brilliant picture, but gives and impression of the volume of traffic the layout will handle. A clearer idea of the space we have to play with for the station building can be seen also. More work is certainly required for the roadways!

post-6831-0-22177300-1494068635_thumb.jpg

Silly season started when it was pointed out that the DR Thunderbox rake was fitted with Kadee couplings. It give the Intermountain ES44AC something to pull - as well as serenading the group with that wonderfully evocative American horn!

post-6831-0-95947500-1494068837_thumb.jpg

There was a little bit of a size disparity between loco and stock...

post-6831-0-03331100-1494069075_thumb.jpg

Perhaps a little more in-keeping geographically (albeit from totally different eras) is this 146 with a rake of Piko Doppelstock. Despite being 50 years apart, that class 146 (Brawa model) seems to suit them.

This will be another view lost when the canopy is fitted.

Freidrichstrasse will next be shown on the 5th June at a local church fete. Fortunately the venue for the fete is the village hall where we are based, so setting up is no more hassle than last night's set up. I like these events as they are very much 'anything goes', so anything noisy and colourful will be coming out to play!

Edit - corrected quite a fundamental typing error! Also to correct some pretty shocking grammar!

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

US loco's are considerably larger then their European counterparts anyway. Given that, I'm surprised it fitted within the loading gauge and didn't strike the platforms, as the original would do should it ever make an appearance in Berlin ;)

Indeed, but the clearances were originally assessed using a Norfolk Southern Mountain-type loco to ensure that pretty much anything could run! The addition of signals and catenary posts have narrowed things ever so slightly; but we wanted to be able to run more or less what we wanted on club nights. That said, I suspect I will have to hold off on the double-stack containers that really suit this loco - that may be a bit of a tight squeeze. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Slow progress on Friedrichstrasse, but here are a couple of pictures of recent activity.

post-6831-0-64749300-1504378161_thumb.jpg

The river barge has been fitted in place. The cabin looks much whiter in the picture than in reality. The bow-wave and wake has yet to be added, along at least a couple of layers of varnish. The riverside paths need any number of extra layers of colour.

post-6831-0-58498600-1504381394_thumb.jpg

Heading towards the road bridge. Clearance is tight, but the barge just fits...

post-6831-0-67404500-1504381673_thumb.jpg

Most of this will be hidden by the railway bridge - still awaiting the front iron arch.

post-6831-0-98435900-1504381965_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way. The tram catenary is being set up - the wires are out of focus in the picture. The small boats and jetty are Artitec products.

post-6831-0-81478300-1504382405_thumb.jpg

Various posters have been added to the inside of the bridge - trying the conjure up the seedy image of parts of the city at the time. The lights work, a have subtle flicker, although have not been properly wired up yet. The front bridge girder needs refitting, and the tram wires need connecting. In the distance the road curves onto the concrete road bridge. There will be a concrete plattenbau-type block of flats on the corner.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 15

Although it's not Frieddrichstrasse, you might (if you've not seen it in other threads), like this pic?

post-1525-0-95246100-1504445903.jpg

The graffiti and 'missing A' wouldn't have happened in DDR days.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 3

Thanks. This is a timely reminder that the tower had been constructed by the time of the layout's setting. Something for the backscene methinks...

Another pic then, albeit looking West, Bhf Frieddrichstrasse is beyond.....

post-1525-0-86422700-1504458363_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As much as I would love to build a full scale model of the tower, I suspect the base itself would take up more space than we have to play with. The backscene has been taking up quite a bit of thought, firstly in terms of available space we have for half relief structures and secondly how we fit it in with the river. We have a few ideas...watch this space.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been up that!

steve

I was with you, from memory*. Revolving restaurant, views across Berlin.

*Said memory being a tad vague, mostly due to that minty ice cream pudding I had which was swimming in about a pint of Crème de Menthe *hic*

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work has started on the main station building.

This has been in plan form for a while, however we have now managed to get the first mock ups in place. Given the space constraints (and the fact the layout is inspired by, not a fully faithful model of Freidrichstrasse), we were not going to build an exact replica of the building; more a close approximation.

That said, the structure was designed, and the first prototype produced in etched card. It is certainly a substantial structure - and is quite weighty for a card building. It certainly fits together well.

post-6831-0-29369400-1520784442_thumb.jpg

More work needs to be done around the brickwork etching - which is likely to be made a little finer.

We also have our first confirmed show booking for the layout - Rotarail, in April 2019. Just over  year to go, but still loads to do.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Was thinking of this one the other day, good to see It's still alive!

Yes, the layout is still alive, and whilst progress still isn't as great as we would like, there are lots of mini projects on going. Aside from the station building, the catenary for both the main lines and the tram are carrying on. The mainline stuff is Sommerfeldt, whilst the tram line is a mixture of kit and scratch built poles with brass wires - one of our members casts 00 and 0 gauge figures, so has been able to run off some posts. The S-Bahn third-rail will be started soon. Additionally, we have a number of buildings under way, including the church.

Looking good.

Are you getting etches done for the windows?

Bernard

I believe so. There are a couple of options being thought about for the windows. Will be clearer over the next few weeks.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

More slow scenic progress on Friedrichstrasse.

We seem to be concentrating on the left side of the layout at present - buildings under construction, catenary underway and the green side of the scenery going down. 

post-6831-0-36508300-1524908434_thumb.jpg

The visitor is a new acquisition - well a DCC-fitted Piko Hondekop for £40.00? Rude to turn that down!

I do like the buildings along the top, but they are card structures and the picture does nothing to disguise their flatness. I suspect it is not helped by the angle of the light and the fact the material is probably too glossy and smooth for buildings. They are kits, but the manufacturer's name escapes me at present. They do have a backscene behind them - it was temporarily removed for scenic work.

The trees are a bit of an experiment. They are Woodland Scenics tree kits, with some tinkering. What I am trying to achieve is a wasteland type scene shown in this picture.

post-6831-0-30203400-1524909073_thumb.jpg

So far, they don't look too bad, but there needs to be more work to 'bush' them out a bit - although not too much as they need to look suitably scraggly; after all, they are just giant weeds...

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

More activities to report on the layout...

post-6831-0-18194300-1527505029_thumb.jpg

Fences along the top of the viaducts are starting to take shape. These are being constructed from the miles of scrap track we (like so many other clubs no doubt) seem to have accumulated. A few test pieces have been put together, which look pretty effective. The areas between the tracks have also been sorted out - a mixture of fine ballast and flock powders - I doubt there would be much in the way of greenery beneath the overall roof.

Apologies for the quality of the next few pictures. These were taken on my phone...

post-6831-0-41272500-1527505503_thumb.jpg

The bridge has finally had the front arch added. The wooden strip will support the bridge sides - likely to be either a fence or low girder. The river still needs at least a couple of layers of varnish, as well as various bits of detritus and perhaps most importantly, the wake from the barge.

P.S. the huge gap in the baseboard join is because the boards were only loosely fitted together at this stage!

post-6831-0-06507100-1527506175_thumb.jpg

The road bridge has a set of ancient Brawa ornamental lamps added to the ends. These work, and will be plugged in - so these should provide quite a striking addition to the layout. The walling is slowly making its way along the layout now. Along the back it will be quite plain (mainly out of sight of the viewers) - however we will be having some of the iconic arches along the front.

post-6831-0-02453900-1527506494_thumb.jpg

The scratch built flats are positioned so the road between them and the wall can be fitted in place. This structure will stand a little bit away from the backscene to give some depth - and to enable our resident lighting fiend to illuminate some of the rooms! To the right of the flats will be some old warehouses, which will overlook the river.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In this latest instalment, we move to the more neglected end of the layout so far.

A few years ago, a member purchased a completed kit building at an exhibition. It was nice, but rather too big to fit onto the layout in the space we had available. It therefore when into storage. However it was not forgotten, and recently was resurrected. It has been modified to fit the space available; i.e. chopped in half and is now located as two half-relief buildings at the front of the layout.

post-6831-0-24028300-1529784384_thumb.jpg

post-6831-0-98740000-1529784729_thumb.jpg

These have also been joined by a restaurant/cafe, which will live in the little island in the tram loop. This is still under construction, but hopefully will be complete in the next couple of weeks. The fan cobbles it is sitting on is still a little loud, and will be toned down. It has not been fitted down as yet.

post-6831-0-48464500-1529785270_thumb.jpg

Up at the other end, the greenery (or should that be brownery) continues along the track. Now for the catenary to continue...

post-6831-0-49887000-1529785407_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple more pictures of the layout showing the slow progress continuing! This was from our open day last Sunday.

post-6831-0-68172600-1540327520_thumb.jpg

Looking away from the main station, across the river. The catenary is now in place, but requires painting.The big COOP silos in the background are part of another layout!

post-6831-0-92490600-1540328088_thumb.jpg

At the opposite end, the new street scene is underway across the bridge. The large building immediately above the S-Bahn lines (yes, I know the 3rd rail still has to be added!) is some faded villa which has yet to be completed - they have some cracking views of the railway!

post-6831-0-39023900-1540328325_thumb.jpg

The church is not a bombed out relic, or the neglect of political ideology, it just hasn't been finished!

post-6831-0-50687100-1540328574_thumb.jpg

Busy approaches to the station

• Like 11