Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

34-227                   57ft LMS 3rd Corridor brake in pre 1936 crimson lake livery

32-255                   57ft LMS 1st/3rd Composite corridor in pre 1936 crimson lake livery

Initially I thought wow, Bachmann is also doing prewar Stanier coaches. But could they really be the tired old Mainline panelled Period I coaches getting yet another revamp? Technically "pre-1936" livery is red ends on simple livery, but in layman terms could also mean 1923-34 fully lined livery.

Sorry for the semi cross-post from the Class 90 thread, but... another AC electric...

Excellent news for me!

Are Bachmann good on supplying spares? If they do a decent job on the pantograph, it'd be great to retro-fit all those 86s and 87s (as relevant) that I've got hanging around with new Brecknell Willis pantographs.

Happy! Happy! Happy!   :dancer:   :dancer:   :dancer:

And maybe, just maybe, this will prompt Hornby into providing a much needed Class 86 or 87... okay, getting a bit ahead of myself, there.

Personally, catenary isn't an issue for me. My French electrics are all happy with no visible means of power-supply. If there is an increase in AC electric interest, that may prompt someone to provide us with overhead should the demand be there?

• RMweb Premium

Sorry everybody - I just couldn't finish my DJH S15 in time. I'll try to have it ready for just before next year's announcement. 

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the Freightliner flats announced. A WORKING container crane ( a la extinct Heljan one) would have been a really spectacular way to mark 25 years, perhaps too risky in the present financial climate, a pity all the same. Nevertheless, quite a few things will be added to my order on Bob's computer in Alton!

Godfrey

For me the positive is it might allow Bachmann to catch up on the significant amount of items announced but not yet produced, particularly coach stock. It also leaves the door open for Dave Jones (DJ Models) who has said he will announce new items later this week, to avoid directly competing with Bachmann.

• RMweb Premium

Great news for those modelling intermodal traffic, these models of the original Freightliner flats done to 21st century standards will fill a huge void.

Also a class 90's a good move as it can be reproduced in many liveries, and who knows, could be backdated to an 87 as several parts were common to both classes.

I also applaud Bachmann for producing a model of a 1960s/70s prefab station design - they were a solution primarily used on the Southern Region when they wanted speedy replacements for older station buildings which were then becoming too expensive to repair, however they didn't last long and many of them have now been replaced.

• RMweb Premium

One that has sneaked in under the radar is the Southern class 171/7. The Modelzone limited edition flew off the shelves a few years back and are now going for silly money on Ebay. I am glad to see that common sense has prevailed and the set carries a different running number to the MZ offering. Pity the 4-car example (171/8) is not being considered, but bearing in mind Bachmann's comments re production costs, perhaps 4-car DMUs are off the menu for the foreseeable future. 

Very disppointed to read of the lack of progress on models announced over a year ago.  Class 24 for example, still at the first stage of development.  After over a year I was expecting CAD stage at the very least.

Class 90 not that much of a surprise, another cross-scale migration.

The class 90 is another boot in hornbys behind like the 101 was, the freightliner wagons was something that has been along time coming after the success of the modern types. We just need someone to bite the bullet and move forward with the overheads (after dapols little dabble), to help with the sales of overhead stock. Still no triple grey RfD 47 to pull the new liner wagons.

• RMweb Premium

Initially I thought wow, Bachmann is also doing prewar Stanier coaches. But could they really be the tired old Mainline panelled Period I coaches getting yet another revamp? Technically "pre-1936" livery is red ends on simple livery, but in layman terms could also mean 1923-34 fully lined livery.

I guess the latter in both cases as that's what's going in the set with the Compound. 

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed on Bachmann's site that they are to produce a low relief power station with cooling towers. That should be interesting as the average cooling towers are 250 - 350+ feet tall (Ratcliffe's are 365 feet tall). 4mm to the foot equals a metre high model of a 250 foot tower  :O. Should make for an interesting backscene. Dry ice machine anyone?  :jester:

Given that there are already OO models of great interest to me in their production process I cannot complain about Bachmann's 2014 announcement. The OO9 entry is of considerable interest and the choice of the Baldwin 4-6-0T doubly so. A suitable candidate for a BPCM feeder perhaps.

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I have litte regard for these announcements until they start actually delivering on them. Just checked my records and I ordered the birdcages in march 2013, and the E4 in January this year. Neither is imminent according to the status update. Those of you who are excited about the 90 had better manage your expectations.

What a miserable reaction to the annoucements from everybody! Lighten up everyone.

It is a 6 month announcement, before the next one is due. A large list of new items (ie catalogue numbers, not brand new productions) The adventure into 009 is to be applauded, Heljan & Peco having started the ball rolling. A genuine update on progress of things previously announced as well. Sensible marketing of re-liveries, including holding back on things like maroon Portholes for later. And all the doom merchants said OH electrics don't sell.

Maybe Bachmann should consider selling froth. On second thoughts, we would only talk moan about it.

Well done Bachmann, and Andy Y for passing it on. It also looks like further announcements to come too, so let's be patient. (Only toy trains after all)

Stewart

I have a feeling the announcements aren't all over yet!

I did wonder if that might be the case.......when I read the following line in the announcement.??

"Additional stories will be posted over the coming weeks as we reveal our new and exciting plans to you, our dedicated modellers and collectors across the world."

Good announcements there is still problems in china with cost and supply to overcome. The british market has fewer production slots than the usa and EU Markets so the delay in development is understand in the context of the former. There  is I feel a turning point in announcements smaller and more concise ranges. The class 90 is a good choice and should be easier to developed due to flat sides which reduces development time and cost. The previous quick turnaround of 12 months from announcement to shops are long gone in most cases. The market is changing and so is China the effects of the recessions has not fully it home yet. There is a lot of hesitation in the market, and larger fewer ships between uk and china means production schedules under great stress.

Archived