Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts (in no particular order).....

The whole 25th Anniversary angle seems to have been over-hyped (and not necessarily by Bachmann themselves) but very under-played; the only thing that celebrates this milestone seems to be the wooden box set which had already been announced. In fact the whole thing seemed like going to the unveiling of a new Ferrari only to find an electric car behind the velvet curtain; interesting but a bit ‘hmmmmm’.

I can understand the slow-down of new models, a lot of stuff in the pipeline doesn’t seem to be progressing that quickly. Better to work on the backlog rather than fill a catalogue with items which won’t be available before the following year’s catalogue comes out?!

I’ve come to view these announcements with half-interest as the items unveiled are typically 18+ months away from hitting the shelves. I’m far more interested in what has been previously announced and when that will be available.

For me as a BR Blue / BR sector era modeller I was very interested to hear more about the Class 37s and the livery variations announced in March 2013, including the budget sound model. Nothing, nada, zip, naff all. [MISS]

Some body types of class 37’s are fetching good prices on eBay particularly un-refurbished ones (37035 and 37239 in particular), modellers are obviously crying out for these body styles but Bachmann seem to be unaware? [bIG MISS]

I’ll have one of each of 37706 & 37796 – [HIT]

Class 20 : 20118 another disc version in Railfreight. We had 20090 recently but the centre box 20132 was years ago and with the old 8-pin chassis. [MISS]

The news that the Inspection saloon will be hitting the shops soon is great news. Notably much faster than other items announced around the same time, I guess in part because it was already part-developed from the N gauge version. [HIT]

Now, any company wants to maximise cash-flow and to do this they must offer products that customers want to buy.

Class 40 - why no new livery or bodystyle variations? Of the three issued so far the blue one is totally sold out, the green one is almost gone and the sound fitted one is heading the same way. Bang out a few liveries with different nose ends – instant win.

Polybulks – fetching up to £75 on eBay for a model that was on the shelves for £25 just a few months ago!! Surely someone at Bachmann is aware of the prices these are now shifting for? Another easy win.

Un-refurbished class 37’s are much in demand on eBay, another one that requires little work, just livery variations from tooling that already exists.

It can be done – Late January we had the announcement about the Highlander train set with a class 37/4, a re-livery of an existing model, which is due in late summer; 9 months.

I don’t pretend to fully understand the situation in China and Bachmann’s position in the Kader priority list, but if I was Bachmann UK I’d be screaming out for product that is obviously in demand and would sell quickly.

Is the lack of production slots so desperate?

Regards from a dedicated but frustrated Bachmann customer.

Does this help :sungum:

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to all men...Stuff like that!

RP

Ubfortunately, due to production problems in China, the 00 versions of Peace on Earth (3 different livery variations) and Goodwill to all men (sound) are delayed. At present there is no news as to when we can expect these models

What do YOU want for Christmas then Roy ?

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to all men...Stuff like that!

RP

Ubfortunately, due to production problems in China, the 00 versions of Peace on Earth (3 different livery variations) and Goodwill to all men (sound) are delayed. At present there is no news as to when we can expect these models

That's a great shame! I suppose I'll have to scratch build them.

I wonder if the raw materials will be available at the NEC this weekend.

RP

Archived