Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't seem to be a huge amount for the BR Steam / Diesel transition period this time (albeit some re-runs, e.g maroon Mk1s); selfishly I was hoping for a bog standard all-green 40 with discs.  Although admittedly quite a lot in the pipeline, already announced, in this category.  Do we take it the GW brake van is to be a new model, rather than a re-release of the existing one?  Interestingly even that isn't offered in BR livery!

Edit:  Sorry, on re-reading the announcement, I see the 'Toad' is a re-run of the existing model after all!

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure I can handle another 54 pages of eclectic anticipation to find out its a piece of Newcastle stations diamond point work.

If your nerve fails...look the other way.You may just find your cynicism goes unrewarded.........it's what went over them that counts.

Just noticed on Bachmann's site that they are to produce a low relief power station with cooling towers. That should be interesting as the average cooling towers are 250 - 350+ feet tall (Ratcliffe's are 365 feet tall). 4mm to the foot equals a metre high model of a 250 foot tower  :O. Should make for an interesting backscene. Dry ice machine anyone?  :jester:

Maybe it'll be forced perspective and the towers will simply be Far Away? :blum:

• RMweb Premium

I'm puzzled as to why Bachmann would publicise that they would be announcing new range today, then to decide not to reveal all. At least we assume there is more to come. If not this is a very big anticlimax. Such an anticlimax it makes Hornby look good, which surely can't be their intention.

Only item I can see of interest so far is Crimson L&Y 2-4-2 tank, something a little different.

Ok here's the first conspiracy theory: Kader disturbed at the profitability of their UK operation significantly cut back on manufacturing slots available to it , and insist it increases prices to restore profitability. That's how I read the actions over the last few months , crowned by this underwhelming announcement.

Well, my wallet is certainly safe (though I'm waiting with baited breath for that NRM announcement). 

Just noticed on Bachmann's site that they are to produce a low relief power station with cooling towers. That should be interesting as the average cooling towers are 250 - 350+ feet tall (Ratcliffe's are 365 feet tall). 4mm to the foot equals a metre high model of a 250 foot tower  :O. Should make for an interesting backscene. Dry ice machine anyone?  :jester:

That's what I thought too!- although it appears on the N scale lists, I can't find it on the OO one.  Though how many people really want to model Rugeley Trent Valley? :jester:

I have a sneaky feeling that there could be a few exclusives we are not aware of yet.

Now an SECR D class for the NRM would get my wallet out. As far as I can tell, it used the Same tender as the C class.

Well, my wallet is certainly safe (though I'm waiting with baited breath for that NRM announcement). 

That's what I thought too!- although it appears on the N scale lists, I can't find it on the OO one.  Though how many people really want to model Rugeley Trent Valley? :jester:

You wouldnt be able to model rugeley as it has a different stack(Bachmann one is modeled on drax by the looks of it)and she has 2 cooling towers with pink pigment added

HSTFAN13

Lee

31-168                   L & YR 2-4-2T No. 10713 in LMS crimson

34-227                   57ft LMS 3rd Corridor brake in pre 1936 crimson lake livery

32-255                   57ft LMS 1st/3rd Composite corridor in pre 1936 crimson lake livery

37-095A                Coal trader pack of 7 plank PO wagons (weathered)

37-097                   Coal trader pack of 5 plank PO wagons (weathered)

Yep I'm happy with the above, if the carriages are the old mainline ones but fully lined, then that doesn't bother me, the L&Y tank in crimson will look beautiful, and the introduction of 7 and 5 packs of wagons will be a welcome one, this means that alot of people will be able to build up a decent rake for they Beyer Garrett ;)

But what I was disappointed to see was how none of the steam engines have progressed since last year, apart from the 1F.

• RMweb Gold

Posted 06 February 2014 - 17:52 (post 505)

Talking about WW1 has anyone mentioned those narrow gauge lines used to supply the front?

Mal

Do I win the RMWeb Bachmann frothing sweepstake then?  :senile:

Mal

Respect, respect.  That really deserves a prize - perhaps Andy will give you a year's free subscription to RMweb?

I'm going to buy the whole power station set and sell some of my oo gauge stuff to make a n gauge power station layout :)

I always wanted someone to make a oo gauge power station, I was even going to scratchbuild one, I knew it wouldn't happen but now Bachmann have announced one in N :O

HSTFAN13

Lee

Oh well, now we know…..

As an enthusiast of pre- war Great Western  I will buy the Earl in shirtbutton livery, I was going to take one when it was originally announced as “Great Western” but dropped the plan when it was changed to GWR.

The 45XX may be purchased, but I only bought one last year – I can’t understand why a shirtbutton alternative was not offered for this, a possible purchase would have been made into a certain one.

As sort of expected, there are no new quality Great Western coaches on offer. If any ever appear at all it is realistically going to be 2016 at the earliest before they are on the shelves. Therefore, if I want more variety in coach stock before then I am going to have to get on with building them myself – at least I know where I stand.

I hope you all find a little something to suit you, the hobby needs product and sales.

I have a feeling the announcements aren't all over yet!

My bet would be on Kernow's exclusives, they hint at several large Bachmann contracts not so long ago. With any luck my Bullied diesels I have on order with them will be amongst them ( uses the same bogie as a class 40 after all).

• RMweb Gold

What a miserable reaction to the annoucements from everybody! Lighten up everyone.

It is a 6 month announcement, before the next one is due.

Stewart

Really confused by comments about '6 months' The last announcements by Bachmann were March last year, 16 months ago, perhaps why some were expecting more (perhaps some were expecting a year and a halfs worth of new announcements?)

I am not critising Bachmanns decision to scale back a bit on new tooling, the glacial progression of previous announcements would suggest a period of catch-up would make sense

• RMweb Gold

I find it quite amusing how threads like this can get into ever rotating circles mainly, it seems,  as a result of folk failing to read through them - by the time we get to Page 10 we will have read similar moans umpteen times, similar contradictions almost as many times and - but for once, as yet, very few moans about why didn't the announce a XXX railway 4-10-3 in 15 livery variations for delivery next Tuesday?

Simple facts (some repeated) Bachmann havea  big backlog to work through (it's listed in detail with note of where each item is), this is a part year announcement because of the revised timing, they have yet to announce prices and they will be higher so maybe a smaller programme is also advisable from that viewpoint, they can't announce every successive year something suitable for everybody when British modelling covers such a huge range of time, types, and livery variation.  there was no hype from Bachmann about what would be coming and in what quantity apart from several folk making very clear that in 00 it would only be 3 items (which leaves 1 to still be announced - read the thread and if my assumption is correct you'll know when).

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see another run of the  packs of 3 coal wagons and new is the same with five planks.The GW toad is available again though no upgrade unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

You wouldnt be able to model rugeley as it has a different stack(Bachmann one is modeled on drax by the looks of it)and she has 2 cooling towers with pink pigment added

HSTFAN13

Lee

Even in N gauge 2mm. Drax cooling towers are 374 feet high. that's still  a 748mm high model. :O. and Drax has 12 of them  :O.

I think modellers were spoilt by last years announcement and many now expect there to be a multitude of new toolings every year. So in comparison with 2013, this years announcements do appear to be a bit underwhelming. Considering that quite a lot of the models from 2013 (and even some from 2012!) haven't progressed very far, it might have been better to work on them in secret and delay announcing them until now.

Archived