Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

ETA for the Class 90's is showing March 2019. Is that error or is that the actual ETA?

Yes, the ETA dates were revised on the 2nd March on the new 'Availability' tab on the website. Again it was revised on the 12th  March. 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Word has it that the class 90's came off the production line a couple of weeks ago and are now likely to be in a container ready for shipment if not already on their way. A fellow Preston club member was speaking to a rep last weekend.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

would there have been any overlap with the swallow 90s and blue and grey coaching stock on the wcml?   if there was I imagine the timeline would be a very narrow window before everything went to intercity/swallow livery from executive/blue&grey. 

• RMweb Premium

Just about. Found a photo on Flickr by David Burrell of 90002 arriving at Man. Picc. Taken in Feb. 1989 with one B/G MK3 leading. Posting the link doesn’t seem to work - the image embeds itself using the iPad and the link doesn’t work.

Edit Try this https://goo.gl/images/zJk1x8

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 2

I wonder if we will see one of the special liveries as a collectors club model? Some of the special repaints might not merit a full production run such as GNER blue but might be worth doing as 504 ltd edition.   

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, shunny said:

I wonder if we will see one of the special liveries as a collectors club model? Some of the special repaints might not merit a full production run such as GNER blue but might be worth doing as 504 ltd edition.   

The obvious one would be one of the DB, SNCF, SNCB versions from 1992.

• Agree 1

looks like these Bachmann models have some kind of air deflectors behind each cab roof that arches around to meet the bodysides ( 2 x each end 4 in total).

I saw a naming ceremony at Euston of swallow liveried 90 010 on you tube from 15th Nov 1989 and it had no such additional panels just like a class 86 or 87 roof might look behind the cab roofs.

at what point were these 90 locos fitted with these extra panels?   what were they for?

Edited by ThaneofFife

On 03/03/2019 at 23:57, adb968008 said:

The obvious one would be one EACH of the DB, SNCF, SNCB versions from 1992.

Corrected that for you, I hope you dont mind, plus of course the EuroFreight (or whatever it was called) livery at the same time.

3 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

looks like these Bachmann models have some kind of air deflectors behind each cab roof that arches around to meet the bodysides ( 2 x each end 4 in total).

I saw a naming ceremony at Euston of swallow liveried 90 010 on you tube from 15th Nov 1989 and it had no such additional panels just like a class 86 or 87 roof might look behind the cab roofs.

at what point were these 90 locos fitted with these extra panels?   what were they for?

Certainly 90005 had these additions and most early photos of the class seem to show them fitted.  Some early photos of class members, including 90001 during testing, show that the aerodynamic aids(?) were not fitted at first.  https://www.tennentstrains.co.uk/images/detailed/2/32-610.jpg

Edited by sirwilliamfrs

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, royaloak said:

Corrected that for you, I hope you dont mind, plus of course the EuroFreight (or whatever it was called) livery at the same time.

Its not possible to do more than one each.. as there was only 1 in each livery.

DBS itself was decades later.

unless your talking about grammer, in which case i would like to reccomend a town called Davis in California, so perfect that the post office will correct spelling errors on postcards sent.

https://livability.com/best-places/top-100-best-places-to-live/2018/ca/davis

i lived her for a year, but wasnt perfect enough so i went to the big city were imperfections are common and acceptable.

Edited by adb968008