Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

Wow, I like the new range. I have been pondering an 009 project for a while and have the beginnings of a couple of GVT tram engines ready for building. A Baldwin would make an excellent accompaniment. 

Thinking of Bachmann's need to give as broad an appeal as possible for their first loco, the 'non-specificness' of  the Baldwin seems spot on. The colour schemes are admirably 'proper' sounding in their sombre accuracy.

I can't help but think they would sell an equal number of versions in a freelance lined green (a bit like the modern Mountaineer on the Ffestiniog) or even a freelance 'Southern' livery for semi-freelance layouts 'inspired' by, but not directly replicating the L&B?

I am wondering about the actual scale of the "009" line.  Will they be 4 mm scale models or 3.5 mm.scale running on 9 mm track? I could see  3.5 mm so they could be easily sold  without protest outside the UK.  Or maybe they are waiting until 2017 and the US entry into the war to do a 3.5 mm range?  

It is going to be an interesting tie in to the "great War" between now and 2018 to see how the range of 009 rolling stock evolves.  

(moved from the general Bachmann 2014 announcements thread.)

Look like the Oakhill Brewery Railway will be relaid to 2' to serve the warehouse at Binegar :sungum:

Erm, 2'3" actually. 009 is another British bodge dating from the days when "narrow gauge" meant chunky white metal bodies on an N gauge chassis. Why could they not bite the bullet and make it 008?   :laugh:

Mind that I speak from a Festiniog not Talyllyn perspective. 

I must admit I have had a soft spot for the Baldwin having seen the books covering their activity on the Ashover, Welsh Highland and Glyn Valley lines.   Many years ago, before Bachmann, Lilliput indicated they were looking at the Welshpool & Llanfair tank locomotives but nothing more was heard.   They would be an ideal subject, especially with the three coaches originally built, scrapped at the end of passengers services and now recreated in all their glory.   As the Welshpool acquired Austrian stock after entering preservation Bachmann already has some models readily available, albeit in HO, thereby possibly justifying following this theme.   Yes, I'll be acquiring a Baldwin even if it is only a load on a Lowmac! 

Excellent news, I think that these will keep the scenic modellers happy for years.

Will it push Hornby into re-considering the Double Fairlie ?

Will it get Peco to produce replica "sectional" track ?

---------

I must admit that when I first read the news I missed the bit about the L & B Station  -  THAT is a really good bit of thinking.

Now, can someone post a link to a video showing how those maddening 009 couplings work (or will the models come with NEM pockets so that we can use N-guage ones ?

• RMweb Premium

In this particular case OO may be much more sensible internationally than HO depending on the target market. Internationally OO is well aligned with the 1/76 scale which is very popular for military figures and vehicles whereas 1/87 has somewhat limited support in military models such as Roco minitanks and Preiser. Neither company does much in the way of WW1 era models. Therefore whilst I can see usually OO is an international oddity scalewise in this scale there will be an awful lot more scenic material for a OO scale.

Will Scenecraft do the trenches and behind the lines structures such as ammunition bunkers, hospitals, dining halls and cook shacks? How about figures in the more relaxed poses between shellings. Casualties and medics (My grandfather lost the lower part of his left leg in 1917, He was a British Army cook and a German shell hit the cook shack).

Howitzers and shells and other stuff going to the front? Horses everywhere.

Is Liliput doing the German version?

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Premium

In terms of figures there is a lot of WW1 1/76 military figures available from a variety of suppliers along with scenic accessories, to be honest it'd probably be better if Bachmann didn't re-invent wheels already invented and concentrate on stuff which isn't already done.

Erm, 2'3" actually. 009 is another British bodge dating from the days when "narrow gauge" meant chunky white metal bodies on an N gauge chassis. Why could they not bite the bullet and make it 008?   :laugh:

Mind that I speak from a Festiniog not Talyllyn perspective. 

As Binegar, or whatever name it ends up with, will be 4'1½" gauge, the extra 3" will not unduly worry me. :beee:

Beside I do have a number of 009 wagons left from when I did model it in days gone by.

It was Roco that announced the Double Fairlie. AFAIK they have nothing to do with Hornby.

Doubt it will have any influence, the 4-6-0T Bachmann have announced is as generic narrow gauge loco as you can get whereas the Double Fairlie and Heljan L&B loco was specific to one line. Certainly I can see more people finding a use for the Bachmann loco than the Heljan one, or the Roco one if it did appear.

I am wondering about the actual scale of the "009" line.  Will they be 4 mm scale models or 3.5 mm.scale running on 9 mm track? I could see  3.5 mm so they could be easily sold  without protest outside the UK.  Or maybe they are waiting until 2017 and the US entry into the war to do a 3.5 mm range?  

It is going to be an interesting tie in to the "great War" between now and 2018 to see how the range of 009 rolling stock evolves.  

(moved from the general Bachmann 2014 announcements thread.)

If they are calling it OO9, then it must be 4mm:1ft scale. To make it anything else would be another absurd scale/gauge corruption as there is already a scale/gauge designation for HO scale on 9mm gauge track. It would also possibly  introduce complications into the Bachmann operation as the Bachmann operation in the UK is a separate organisation from that which produces the 'HO' scale models.

CHRIS LEIGH

Edited by dibber25

A bit surprised this wasn't in 0n2 or even Gn2, which might have found more resonance with the military diorama market.

What is 0n2 & Gn2? As much as I like NG both in model and full size form, there's an awful lot of alphabet soup!

Regards

• RMweb Premium

What great news first PECO a couple of years back with L&B now Bachmann with the Baldwin and WW1 rolling stock.

Bought a Wrightines 7mm kit some years back with the intention of building a small WW1 based layout but it never got of the ground

So now with both PECO & Bachmann producing stock for two of my favorite NG systems I am very tempted.

All I need now is some manufacture to announce a range of GVT locomotive and stock and it could be a expensive few years

• RMweb Gold

Minitrains have just released the German Feldbahn 0-8-0 with appropriate stock and are doing the Pershing stock that will be perfect for this loco on the US lines and it scales out at 1:76 too :)

http://www.minitrains.eu/mt-trains.html

As for figures and accessories

http://www.wdmodels.com/index.htm

Minitrains new release

post-6968-0-05322100-1405894815.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

It is indeed great news and a great choice of prototype, although mixing the news with a very flat set of 00 announcements did Bachmann no favors at all. Shot themselves in the foot.

But will they make money? I personally doubt that very much, 009 is a niche market. My advice is to buy as many as you can afford before they disappear.

That's my plan anyway!!

• RMweb Gold

Well if they're clever they might offer a set in the USA too via the American part of Bachmann for diorama modellers as their are lots of military modellers who might use it.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

What is 0n2 & Gn2? As much as I like NG both in model and full size form, there's an awful lot of alphabet soup!

Regards

On2 would be O16.5 or O14 depending on your finescale leanings, 7mm/ft on 16.5 or 14mm track.

Gn2 isn't a scale as such I've seen produced, SM32 / 16mm is and there already is one in that scale albeit live steam.

http://www.accucraft.uk.com/products/wd-baldwin-live-steam-4-6-0t/

Bachmann did produce the L&B Lyn in G running on 3ft gauge but the Baldwin done like that would have brought more howls of protest for not being finescale enough ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

I think that On30 is the more usual term for O on 16.5mm track, the “30” representing 30” gauge or 2’ 6". Of course “scale” is a different matter........

I’d be interested if Bachmann produced these models in On30 as they have really kept this particular flag flying.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I think that On30 is the more usual term for O on 16.5mm track, the “30” representing 30” gauge or 2’ 6". Of course “scale” is a different matter........

I’d be interested if Bachmann produced these models in On30 as they have really kept this particular flag flying.

Best, Pete.

I would agree there in O16.5 it would be superb :) On2 is used by the modellers of the Maine 2ft lines quite widely in the US.