Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

Just got in Hummy in weathered finish, and very impressed with performance and finish of Peggy etc. All run in now, several hours running light, then with coaches etc.

They run very cool, cheched with optical thermometer at a few degrees above ambient room temperature, with very light current drain running light, and not much increase on loading or inclines.

No driver or fireman figures fiitted yet to Hummy, or Ashover coaches bar one kit version, roll on the Bachmann versions coming.

Haulage is good at four coaches from Peco or equivalent assorted O09 four wheeled stock. The speed remains pretty constant on a feedback controller, but it also works fine on a plain Hornsby unit, with good slow speed as well. All D.C. not DCC, with under board sound system, run from my computer.

Certainly the best 009 made so far, and more to come with the 040 locos promised.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 3

A follow up to my Peggy motion problem - it has fallen apart again, so it looks as though it will have to be returned. A real pity as I love this loco and will have to pick up another.

As an aside, I am not sold on DCC sound in steam locos (I have 20+ diesels converted), but following the videos and comments, I have just fitted it to my Hummy. It is brilliant and really adds another dimension to operating it.

Roy

I think it  would  be  wise  to  return  the  loco  and  get  a  refund ( or  replacement  there  is  still stock  around in  the  retailers)   by returning  Bachmann will hopefully  get  the  loco back and be  able  to perhaps identify the  issue.

I have  to agree  that  the  sound is  excellent,  and certainly  brings  the  loco  to  life, especially  the  standing  sounds,  extremely  easy and  quick to fit   the  decoder as  well.

Would  love  to  hear  those  20+ diesels ticking  over  together!  2 or 3 SLW 24s  is  about  the  limit for me  before  I lose  concentration!

Edited by Stevelewis

No driver or fireman figures fiitted yet to Hummy,

Stephen

Thats an issue I’ve been thinking about for my “peggy”. Not a lot of room in the cab. Has anyone fitted any crew, and if so which models?

I’ve been wondering about finding some 1/87 ones perhaps?

Further to my previous query on sound, would a sound chip from say Zimo FULLY function with the Hornby DC\C controller or any other basic unit?

No general Yes replies please .....and then add that some functions do work or need recoding CV's .etc.

I have the Hornby unit and building a new Merg system.

It is all and everything to do with cost, I do not want a partially equipped sound loco wasting up to £140 odd pounds ,

Stephen

I have Zimo sound fitted locos and they function on my e-link system no problem. That can cover 26 functions. But it cannot read high number CVs (300+ from memory).

CAD images of the Quarry Hunslet are available and have been released - they are shown on Hattons Facebook pages, at 15 September - hopefully this link will work - scroll down to 15 September:

https://m.facebook.com/hattonsmodelrailways/

John Storey

I find it quite remarkable that a mass-market manufacturer can offer such a small rtr model as a cabless Quarry Hunslet. Not long ago that would been a tour-de-force from an experienced scratchbuilder.

• RMweb Gold

I find it quite remarkable that a mass-market manufacturer can offer such a small rtr model as a cabless Quarry Hunslet. Not long ago that would been a tour-de-force from an experienced scratchbuilder.

Sign of our times. Smaller batches and a still-affluent market lapping up true goodies.

Sign of our times. Smaller batches and a still-affluent market lapping up true goodies.

Smaller batches are a symptom, I think. The mass market served by companies like Tri-Ang no longer exists. Suppliers NEED to provide constantly changing ranges in small batches to be viable. Advances in computerised tooling derived directly from CAD models, reduces set-up costs, together with low-to-nil inventory and unsold stock costs resulting from Pre-ordering and Pre-selling to a market which will wait months to years, for the actual product. More accurate sales prediction and monitoring.

That, and a revolution in shipping, containerisation in huge loads of completely unrelated products, direct to distributors.

Plus, as you rightly say, selling into a market where disposable income is an order of magnitude above manufacturing wages.

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

Smaller runs can also use softer metals for the tools, reducing costs further. I wouldn't be surprised if we virtually never see the long runs of the past ever again.

• RMweb Gold

A follow up to my earlier post regarding my poorly Peggy (see posts http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87702-Bachmann-announce-narrow-gauge-range-led-by-baldwin-4-6-0t/page-24&do=findComment&comment=3265011 & http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87702-Bachmann-announce-narrow-gauge-range-led-by-baldwin-4-6-0t/page-24&do=findComment&comment=3268701). It was returned to Kernow who did send it back fairly swiftly (about a week). Whether they repaired it or replaced it I do not know: they didn't say and whilst I can't see anything to indicate a repair, they did say that at the time they hadn't any more in stock.

For various reasons (but mainly work) I didn't get to try her again until Friday last week. Six hours of running in, both directions at various speeds, and all is well.

Thanks to Kernow's usual high standard of service I have my Peggy and Hummy both running well, just to fit sound to the latter now.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thought I would share this on here. I have added footplate crew, real coal and weathered Peggy.

The footplate crew are from Monty’s Models Range- MSV69 and MSV71.

post-25708-0-92691600-1540279074_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-32938200-1540279092_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-06453000-1540279107_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-23653100-1540279122_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-68359600-1540279136_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for looking, regards Paul.

• Like 13

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

No doubt many of you have already read the Bachmann 2019 announcements thread, but I thought for continuity, I'd re-post that there are some new Baldwins being released:

OO9 Scale Locomotives

391-030 Baldwin 10-12-D Tank No. 4 Snailbeach District Railways Black - weathered

391-031DS Baldwin 10-12-D Tank 590 Welsh Highland Railway Lined Maroon – SOUND FITTED

391-032 Baldwin 10-12-D Tank E763 'Sid' SR Maunsell Green

Anyone know anything about the SR version?  I didn't think the Southern had a Baldwin?

• RMweb Premium

No doubt many of you have already read the Bachmann 2019 announcements thread, but I thought for continuity, I'd re-post that there are some new Baldwins being released:

OO9 Scale Locomotives

391-030 Baldwin 10-12-D Tank No. 4 Snailbeach District Railways Black - weathered

391-031DS Baldwin 10-12-D Tank 590 Welsh Highland Railway Lined Maroon – SOUND FITTED

391-032 Baldwin 10-12-D Tank E763 'Sid' SR Maunsell Green

Anyone know anything about the SR version?  I didn't think the Southern had a Baldwin?

From what others here have written, I understand it's fictional (and possibly with a number already in use by another Southern locomotive, when other spare numbers were available).

• RMweb Gold

The southern one is fictitious as it carries the number after 762 lyn on the l&b. Either way from seeing the images of all 3 livery samples they look amazing

The real 'Sid' is a Maffei 0-4-0WT which resided for some years on the revived L&B before being sold to a line in Sweden. The nameplate on the Bachmann Baldwin appears to be a straight copy of that on the Maffei. 

http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/railway/rolling-stock/sid

• RMweb Gold

I didn't think the Southern had a Baldwin?[/font][/color]

Only the 2-4-2 Lyn ;)

Great idea though for any fictional extensions of the L&B like my Combe Martin branch :) Right period to pick up cheap after WW1 if the L&B has thrived rather than declined.

• Like 1