Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

According to the Accurascale website they are using Tungsten for the Deltic. This has the advantage of weight which leaves more room for speakers. 

What's wrong with depleted uranium? I presume the tungsten will be machined from solid, not cast?

I used to have a set of tungsten darts, turned out of left-over material from one of Concorde's engines- I had a flatmate who worked at Filton. They were very heavy.

• Like 1

has anyone had a go at re-spraying / painting any containers ?

I have too many Mearsk containers and want some other or some plain ones, after looking at pics

from my main period 1987-1993 ive seen a lot of plain containers, some in a sort of faded red / burgundy.

has anyone had a go at re-spraying / painting any containers ?

I have too many Mearsk containers and want some other or some plain ones, after looking at pics

from my main period 1987-1993 ive seen a lot of plain containers, some in a sort of faded red / burgundy.

I haven't specifically resprayed the Bachmann containers, but I have done quite a few of the C=Rail=Intermodal kit ones. They could be worth a look for ideas and suitable, high-quality transfers.  https://www.c-rail-intermodal.co.uk/ (I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer).

• 3 weeks later...

Patrick told me they were using solid gold for the Talc Chuckers limited edition model!

Well, gold and tungsten are pretty much the same density so why not?!

I heard a rumour that Fort Knox have several 'limited edition' gold-plated tungsten ingots that they didn't know about until they were test drilled, so maybe Accurascale could gold-plate the ltd edn talc chucker too, without any loss in adhesion weight...

Nice picture of an early freightliner depot - Dudley - showing how their own containers dominated. https://www.flickr.com/photos/127815237@N05/42384230212/in/album-72157648796040956/

Paul

There is what looks like a 122 single car dmu in the backround. Would this be on route learner duties as passenger services to Dudley had ceased a few years earlier?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to highlight that C37LG have some freightliner flats listed on Ebay at a good price

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/c37lg/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

No connection other than a very happy customer - and supporter of heritage diesels!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/02/2019 at 13:15, adb968008 said:

Isnt that the Water carrier made at some considerable expense for 6024 King Edward 1st ?

https://www.railpixtc.co.uk/Steam/Main-Line-Railtours/Main-Line-Steam-for-2007/i-KshQCzW

i seem to think it was only used a handful of times then sidelined.

Steam railtours dont make money by carrying water around with them.

The big objection to this was aesthetics - steam locos didn't co-exsist with modern container flats and tanks and paintig it GWR brown wasn't going to fool anybody.

I believe that as a result, the owning society went and added water tanks to a BR Mk1 GUV instead - which looks far more pleasing being coupled behind a steam loco.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

The big objection to this was aesthetics - steam locos didn't co-exsist with modern container flats and tanks and paintig it GWR brown wasn't going to fool anybody.

I believe that as a result, the owning society went and added water tanks to a BR Mk1 GUV instead - which looks far more pleasing being coupled behind a steam loco.

Tyseley has the Brown GUV (unrelated to 6024).

WCRC also has a maroon GUV, but thats not been seen for ages.

Bittern has a second tender, ex4472 (I recall reading 60163 Tornado was also configured to be compatible to it, but ive never seen it use it).

I understood at the time, their was some discussion to cladding the water carrier for 6024 to make it look like a Siphon.

carrying water isnt popular, as it reduces trainload by upto 2 vehicles, can put axle load restrictions, and its cheaper/easier to stop and top up from a road tanker, than prolonged non-stop running, which is hard to path at slower than comparative operational speeds anyway.

If 90mph running was to return, then there may be a greater case for it, certainly Water was the only thing in Bitterns way in 2013, I recall waving at people in an EMU from the fastline south of Peterborough, as we over took it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since the last few posts have refered to steam, here's a legitmate example. Black five 45290 passing Moston with 4vac wagons leading what looks like a 5set, 2 pictures appear in "Manchester, Days of Steam" vol1, captioned as heading to Castleton(1966 Bernard Crick). There was a wagon repair facility there(Marcrofts in the 80's) . Stick that on at an exhibition as bait and see how long before someone passes a derogatory remark.

And on a different note, anyone attempting the Fletliner brick workings? I have fond memories of it passing the bottom of my school playing fields near Hinckley on the north bound working circa '76. I'd love to replecate the train, but 15 might be a tad long, even at a shortened 10 I'd still need 30 boxes. And there lies the problem, I've no idea what the bricks were actually carried in, pretty sure the old Triang open container is not what was used.

'Fletliner'

More from Flickr sort of answered my own question, big flat pallets by the look of these piccies https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=interestingness-desc&safe_search=1&text=fletliner&view_all=1

Edited by w124bob
added flickr liink
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm coming back to the subject of the 5 (or 4?) set Freightliner Service to Paris in the late sixties featured in these two great little videos 

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/london-paris-freightliner-service-inaugurated-at-s

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/freight-liner-trains/query/freight+train

They still leave me with a few questions:

Was it a 5 or 4 set?

If it was a 5, would it have been two sets of outers and one inner? Or two outers and three inners?

Is it likely to have travelled from London to Dover as just a 5 (or 4) set?

Tantalisingly, on the second video, the Frieghtliner set is unloaded coupled to a number of traditional conflat type wagons. Might this have travelled as a mixed set between London and the coast?

Any thoughts?

14 minutes ago, chrissixties said:

I'm coming back to the subject of the 5 (or 4?) set Freightliner Service to Paris in the late sixties featured in these two great little videos 

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/london-paris-freightliner-service-inaugurated-at-s

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/freight-liner-trains/query/freight+train

They still leave me with a few questions:

Was it a 5 or 4 set?

If it was a 5, would it have been two sets of outers and one inner? Or two outers and three inners?

Is it likely to have travelled from London to Dover as just a 5 (or 4) set?

Tantalisingly, on the second video, the Frieghtliner set is unloaded coupled to a number of traditional conflat type wagons. Might this have travelled as a mixed set between London and the coast?

Any thoughts?

A five-wagon set would be: FGA, FFA, FFA, FFA, FGA; FGA (Outer) wagons have conventional draw-gear on one end, and a bar (semi-fixed) coupling at the other. The FFA (inner) wagons have bar-couplings at both ends, and thus couldn't be coupler to the buffer-fitted end of the FGA. The photo I've seen of the wagons on ship had all four roads loaded; presumably 4-set, 5-set, 5-set and 4-set, the outer roads being shorter.

Addenda: having looked at the video, I think you're correct about the 'conventional' containers. I suspect they might just travel as far as Dunkerque, there being transhipped on to SNCF wagons. I hadn't heard of this with containers, though I knew cattle wagons did this. It solves a little mystery for me, as I had often wondered why BR 4-ton containers had metric particulars for weight and size, long before this became the norm.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Thanks 1

On 06/04/2019 at 17:41, w124bob said:

And on a different note, anyone attempting the Fletliner brick workings? I have fond memories of it passing the bottom of my school playing fields near Hinckley on the north bound working circa '76. I'd love to replecate the train, but 15 might be a tad long, even at a shortened 10 I'd still need 30 boxes. And there lies the problem, I've no idea what the bricks were actually carried in, pretty sure the old Triang open container is not what was used.

'Fletliner'

More from Flickr sort of answered my own question, big flat pallets by the look of these piccies https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=interestingness-desc&safe_search=1&text=fletliner&view_all=1

I think those are 20' open containers; don't forget that early Freightliner containers were bottom-lift, which would look like slots for a fork-lift's tines, though at rather large centres. They have got different sides, by the look of things. The photo in 'Freightliner- Life and Times' doesn't show the sides, as it's from above, but a tantalising glimpse of the end can be seen, looking like diamond-pattern mesh. This would be similar to the sides on Plasmor wagons, and on the wagons that were used to bring concrete slabs from the Mendips to Acton.

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

A five-wagon set would be: FGA, FFA, FFA, FFA, FGA; FGA (Outer) wagons have conventional draw-gear on one end, and a bar (semi-fixed) coupling at the other. The FFA (inner) wagons have bar-couplings at both ends, and thus couldn't be coupler to the buffer-fitted end of the FGA. The photo I've seen of the wagons on ship had all four roads loaded; presumably 4-set, 5-set, 5-set and 4-set, the outer roads being shorter.

Addenda: having looked at the video, I think you're correct about the 'conventional' containers. I suspect they might just travel as far as Dunkerque, there being transhipped on to SNCF wagons. I hadn't heard of this with containers, though I knew cattle wagons did this. It solves a little mystery for me, as I had often wondered why BR 4-ton containers had metric particulars for weight and size, long before this became the norm.

I suppose what I'm really trying to ascertain is what the set might have looked like going from London to Dover. It sounds like it might have been two 4's and two 5's together and then just split at Dover to go on the Ferry, rather than a short working? 

• RMweb Gold
On 29/03/2019 at 06:14, Hilux5972 said:

Would be interesting to see Tornado out with a 2nd tender. Especially when she I running at 90 regularly. 

I don't think were going to see Tornado with either a second tender or running at 90mph anytime soon.

The memories of 4464 in 2013 are probably only going to be challenged by 18.201 for a good few years.