3D Printed 'OO' Modern Image Lineside Details

Hi,

As people might know, I'm currently awaiting re-employment, and so to keep me busy in the mean time, I'm currently drawing up some stuff to be 3D Printed by Shapeways.

So far I have been concentrating on various 'OO' gauge line side details for 'Modern Image' Layouts, that aren't really all that available in other places. I thought that people might like to see what I have been up to (With the Blessing of Mr York!)

Currently, I've designed and test printed some Station 'Furniture' in the form of the various forms of equipment used for Driver Only Operations. First of all is the Mirrors that are placed at car stop markers to give the driver a view of the whole platform:

post-7271-0-69769000-1404815541.jpg

I received the test print last week and got around to making it look suitable:

post-7271-0-42836500-1404815764.jpg

post-7271-0-62033500-1404815773.jpg

It's printed in White Strong and Flexible, and is painted in a generic type of livery. The mirror effect has been achieved through use of 'Mirror Card' from Hobby Craft.

I've also created the DOO Monitors that are used on Platforms on a curve or with restricted visibility down the platforms. I've printed both and older and newer style of monitor:

post-7271-0-63273000-1404815943.jpg post-7271-0-97907200-1404815959.jpg

The older style is on the left and newer style of the right, the new style has a choice of 3 or six screens. Here they are painted up (they are printed in Frosted Ultra Detail):

post-7271-0-13264600-1404816067.jpg post-7271-0-36428000-1404816075.jpg

They are quite small, but the inset screens are actually visible, the paint bring out the detail, even if the camera doesn't!

Those are the only models that I physically have, but I should have another today, a Modern Platform Shelter:

post-7271-0-36895400-1404816218.jpg

It's a fairly generic shelter, and I haven't yet figured out how to glaze the thing yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

I'm also waiting on a set of Axle Counter Control Boxes I've printed in Polished Yellow Strong and Flexible (it'll save the painting later on):

post-7271-0-12686400-1404816362.jpg

I hope you've found these interesting, if you have any questions, please ask!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 16

Hi,

I received my test print of my Platform Shelter yesterday, I managed to paint it up today:

post-7271-0-85057100-1404926313.jpg

post-7271-0-85470700-1404926320.jpg

It's painted in the fairly universal scheme of Silver (Revell Aqua Colour Aluminium) frame and Blue Panelling & Roof. The actually shelter is based on the Paragon Anti-Vandal Shelter, which can be found on station platforms thought out the country, although this model is actually pretty generic. I've also done a half shelter version, but I've only just finished the CAD's.

post-7271-0-69842800-1404927097.jpg

P.S. I've added a link to my Shapeways Profile into my Signature below, if you wish to have a look!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Love the platform shelter, very useful for current layouts.  Have you considered a longer version, as seen at busier stations, or the type that is used as a covered walkway, seen at Southampton Airport Parkway amongst others?

Are the rectangular passenger information displays (A-04) the larger type SWT use or the smaller ones seemly favoured by other TOC's?

Very nice Simon. I'd be very interested in purchasing a few bits idc. What else are you thinking of producing in the future?

Edit: found your shop on Shapeways but the axle counters aren't available just yet. I'll wait until they are then I can place an order for those and a few other bits in order to save on postage.

Edited by Tase

Love the platform shelter, very useful for current layouts. Have you considered a longer version, as seen at busier stations, or the type that is used as a covered walkway, seen at Southampton Airport Parkway amongst others?

Are the rectangular passenger information displays (A-04) the larger type SWT use or the smaller ones seemly favoured by other TOC's?

If there's enough demand, I may look at doing a sort of modular system, so people can do longer or shorter version, plus I found painting the inside was hard, so making the 'front panels' separate might be better.

The Rectangular Passenger Information Displays are generic type ones, so they are based on the smaller ones used by other TOC's. I've designed ones for Southern as they use an angled type ones. They are my next tests, but I might have to redraw them as I'm not so sure on the post dimensions.

Very nice Simon. I'd be very interested in purchasing a few bits idc. What else are you thinking of producing in the future?

Edit: found your shop on Shapeways but the axle counters aren't available just yet. I'll wait until they are then I can place an order for those and a few other bits in order to save on postage.

Currently I'm looking at various station detailing bits, but if you (or anyone else) would like to suggest some stuff, please do. The only thing is I don't want to Tread on people's toes if they are working on similar things.

I'm also working on a modular range of colour light signals based on the Unipart Dorman Signals, at the moment all the CAD's are finished, I'm just testing out the Electric side of things. The next thing to be done is some OFF / RA / CD indicators and a bracket to mount them on. I have the bracket, but the indicator to go on it was rejected, so I'll order them when I order the test prints of the station displays.

For Southern Region guys, I'm working on Third Rail Protection Boards, but they require more work on them to ensure they fit most track systems.

In terms of the Axle Counters, they are finished production, but I'm waiting on something else I ordered to be finished before they are shipped. Once I get them and checked they are all okay, I'll release them to sale, so that'll probably be next week sometime.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

They are my next tests, but I might have to redraw them as I'm not so sure on the post dimensions.

Simon

Hi,

Well, having thought about them, I have redrawn them, for a number of reasons; first of all, they were rejected the first time as some shells were loose, so I've reattached them, secondly I've thickened the posts, as having looked at the shelter, they would be fragile if they were left as they were.

So after quite a few attempts to upload them, here they are:

post-7271-0-11748200-1404997862.jpg

The 'Sprue' consists of 4 x Post Mounted 'Next Train' Displays, 4 x Canopy Hung 'Next Train' Displays, 4 x Cantilever Wall Mounted 'Next Train Displays, 1 x Post Mounted Twin 'Next Train' Displays (for Island Platforms), 1 x Post Mounted 'All Departures' Display, 1 x Cantilever Wall Mounted 'All Departures' Display and 1 x Standard Wall Mounted 'All Departures' Display. These are of a generic type, so can be used on most Modern Image Stations

I also have done a version for Displays used on Southern / South Eastern Stations which aren't rectangular, but have quite a distinct shape:

post-7271-0-10009900-1404998165.jpg

This includes 4 x Post Mounted 'Next Train' Displays and 4 x Canopy Hung 'Next Train' Displays.

All the Displays are double sided and have a inset part to mount on the print out's of the actual displays, I'm trying to work on some sheets of displays, although probably I won't be able to do anything fancy so they can be changed to suit individual requirements in the style of Scale Scenes.

I'll order test prints, in White Strong & Flexible, later this afternoon.

Simon

• Like 4

In terms of the Axle Counters, they are finished production, but I'm waiting on something else I ordered to be finished before they are shipped. Once I get them and checked they are all okay, I'll release them to sale, so that'll probably be next week sometime.

Simon

Hi,

Just like that, here they are:

post-7271-0-52853600-1405524443.jpg

These have been printed in Polish Yellow, Strong and Flexible Plastic, and then I hand painted Matt Black onto the the posts. The yellow colour is approximately the same as the colour used on the real things, although they would benefit from some weathering!

Another update, the Passenger displays (both the generic and Southern ones) have been printed are on their way, along with my indicators kit. They should be here Friday and I'll have all the things I've printed on display at my Clubs open day!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 6

Excellent work of under modelled subjects, I need to teach myself basic CAD one of these days. Out of interest, would you consider scaling these down for N gauge? I would definitely be interested in the mirrors and the shelters!

Excellent work of under modelled subjects, I need to teach myself basic CAD one of these days. Out of interest, would you consider scaling these down for N gauge? I would definitely be interested in the mirrors and the shelters!

Hi,

Sorry the reply is a bit late, but I've had a busy couple of days!

In terms of scaling to N Gauge, the Mirrors I could do, but I would have to look at the Shelters more closely, but I can't see why not. Just be aware that the price might be higher than for 'OO' version due to the use of Frosted Ultra Detail Material (which is much more expensive than the WSF), I would have to use this material to ensure (nearly) scale thickness Walls.

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Simon

Would you be interested in doing a Ground Position Light set - such that you could stick some small LED's in to illuminate?

Thanks

Hi,

I have some drawings for them, I will have to do some more investigation as to how to illuminate the thing, as they are very small.

Simon

Hi,

Friday I managed to get the test prints of the Passenger Information Displays, through to me:

post-7271-0-23582200-1405800725.jpg

Again, they are printed in WSF, although I'm going to make them available in Polished Blue, Polished White and Black Strong & Flexible. For these I have to tweak the file slightly as one item didn't print for some reason, But I'll look at this tomorrow, and hopefully should be on sale tomorrow night, or early next week.

Also, I ordered the Southern versions as well:

post-7271-0-67890200-1405800988.jpg

As with the Generic ones, I'll sell these in WSF, polished WSF and Yellow Strong & Flexible. I have to tweak this file as well, as the spruce failed, separating the the post mounted displays from the Canopy Hung. While I'm at it, I'll add a twin version for Island Platforms, as with the Generic versions.

I found after painting all them that if they are sprayed up in Halfords Grey Primer and then painted in finished colour, but leaving the 'Screen' in primer, they look better than if a photo of a display is stuck on it, and the chances are, nobody will notice anyway.

Also, I took a small display stand (which I produced in a hurry out of Foam Board on Thursday Afternoon) with me to my clubs (The High Wycombe & District Model Railway Society) open day today. I had a lot of interest in the products and maybe some commissions for a couple of the clubs layouts (I can also do commission on bespoke items if people wish):

post-7271-0-75063900-1405801359.jpg

Any Questions, please do ask!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 8

Hi,

A couple of updates as it's been fairly quiet, first of all, the Passenger Information Displays have now been updated and are for Sale on Shapeways, as are all the models that are featured on this thread fully finished.

I've also added something else in the past few minutes:

post-7271-0-53395400-1406398781.jpg

This is a pack of 12 Modern Catch Pits, I've decided that for these that I won't test print them before release (although I will need some for my layout in due course), so they have gone on straight for sale.

Any Questions do please ask!

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

A couple of updates as it's been fairly quiet, first of all, the Passenger Information Displays have now been updated and are for Sale on Shapeways, as are all the models that are featured on this thread fully finished.

I've also added something else in the past few minutes:

attachicon.gifCatch Pits.jpg

This is a pack of 12 Modern Catch Pits, I've decided that for these that I won't test print them before release (although I will need some for my layout in due course), so they have gone on straight for sale.

Any Questions do please ask!

Simon

Hi Simon,

How big are the catch pits?

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Simon,

How big are the catch pits?

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Each pit is 16.7 mm long, 9.7 mm wide and 1.8 mm high. The dimensions are scaled down from an engineering drawing I found from a Manufacturer.

Also, they are to be placed every 395 mm (30 Metres in 'OO') on a layout, in both Cess' and at every drain junction or change in direction of the drainage system.

Hope this helps!

Simon

Hi,

I've just done a quick experiment and I can downsize the Mirrors to N Gauge very easily, but I will have to look at the shelters more closely.

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Each pit is 16.7 mm long, 9.7 mm wide and 1.8 mm high. The dimensions are scaled down from an engineering drawing I found from a Manufacturer.

Also, they are to be placed every 395 mm (30 Metres in 'OO') on a layout, in both Cess' and at every drain junction or change in direction of the drainage system.

Hope this helps!

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info.

Must order a few!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Hi,

I've just been working on some more station building detailing parts:

post-7271-0-96672900-1406630802.jpg

Automatic Ticket Barriers, each pack has four cabinets (two 'inner' cabinets and two 'outer' cabinets) making up three Gates,  in due course, if I recieve enough orders, I'll add an extension pack with just 'inner' cabinets. The width of these gates is 34 mm across all 4 once in position with each cabinet with two paddles being 10 mm wide, while they are 17 mm deep.

I've just order test prints of both these and the Catch Pits, and I'll wait until I've received them before releasing the Ticket Barriers to Sell.

Don't forget, my Shapeways Shop is here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sjpmodels

• Like 8

Hi,

Sorry the reply is a bit late, but I've had a busy couple of days!

In terms of scaling to N Gauge, the Mirrors I could do, but I would have to look at the Shelters more closely, but I can't see why not. Just be aware that the price might be higher than for 'OO' version due to the use of Frosted Ultra Detail Material (which is much more expensive than the WSF), I would have to use this material to ensure (nearly) scale thickness Walls.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I find that pretty much anything I model in OO and print in WSF can be scaled down and printed in N in FUD. The cost of FUD is as you say higher than WSF, but you also have only 1/4 the volume of material to print, so normally it's cheaper. One other thing I've noticed with your prints is that you grouping together items on sprues. You don't actually need to do that. You can combine multi-items in a single print run and they all arrive from shapeways in a single polythene bag. As you are paying for printing the spru, you can save money if you omit it. If you take a peek at my shapeways pages you will see what I mean.

Peter

Hi Simon,

I find that pretty much anything I model in OO and print in WSF can be scaled down and printed in N in FUD. The cost of FUD is as you say higher than WSF, but you also have only 1/4 the volume of material to print, so normally it's cheaper. One other thing I've noticed with your prints is that you grouping together items on sprues. You don't actually need to do that. You can combine multi-items in a single print run and they all arrive from shapeways in a single polythene bag. As you are paying for printing the spru, you can save money if you omit it. If you take a peek at my shapeways pages you will see what I mean.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, I've discovered the WSF can be scaled down, but I've got stuff in FUD very thin walls, so that can't be scaled down. These things on spruce which are much easier to have on sprues rather than separate, but I have discovered since making that post about doing away with sprues. Thanks for the info though!

Simon

Hi,

Well, I've got test prints for the Ticket Barriers and Catchpits arriving tomorrow, but now I'm turning my attention to the next details, but I haven't got all that many ideas, so I put out to the members of RMWeb as to what Modern Image Lineside details they would like next?

Simon

• Like 1

What about the "help points"?  Obviously different designs are out there but this kind of thing http://www.wellho.net/pix/helppoint.jpg

Have you done ticket machines and car park machines? (sorry can't look at the moment)

Portable wheelchair ramps?

Train departure ping-pong bats (you know what I mean!)

Lift entrances?