3D Printed 'OO' Modern Image Lineside Details

It would be, but as far as I'm aware there aren't any model raliway printers that have the printers required to print to the same specification as Shapeways.

The thing is that if I was to go to someone else, it would probably be a one off print for my use, having a full time job means I can't manage a full model business with the costumer service it deserves, and I wouldn't be comfortable handing my designs over for someone else to sell.

I would love to have them to sell, but I think at the moment it's just uneconomical

Simon

http://www.cwrailways.com Is model railway based (the link didn't copy yesterday)

I appreciate what you say about keeping control of your designs but am surprised that you want to use shapeways as you have no control of after sales IMO.

All ok on everything else, full time job here and shifts (nights this week) keeps a hobby being just that.

Kev

http://www.cwrailways.com Is model railway based (the link didn't copy yesterday)

I appreciate what you say about keeping control of your designs but am surprised that you want to use shapeways as you have no control of after sales IMO.

All ok on everything else, full time job here and shifts (nights this week) keeps a hobby being just that.

Kev

I mean it as in I haven't got the time to deal with shipping the product or taking the order etc. Shapeways do all that for me, and their costumer service is fantastic in my experience, I have had a couple of costumers contact me with problems on their models because of the printing process, when I went back to say that they there were problems and can they have a refund (taking it out of my payment from them), Shapeways immediately gave the costumers a refund without taking it from my payment and reprinted the model free of charge even though I didn't ask them to (the costumers said they weren't bothered by the errors).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

An update, due to some domestic issues, SJPModels will not be developing any models for the foreseeable future, this sadly includes any commissions that I have undertaken.

I'm deeply sad for this to happen, but my arm has been twisted by other issues, I do hope that I can return in the near future, but I can't guarantee it.

Regards,

Simon Paley

• 1 month later...

Hi,

An update, due to some domestic issues, SJPModels will not be developing any models for the foreseeable future, this sadly includes any commissions that I have undertaken.

I'm deeply sad for this to happen, but my arm has been twisted by other issues, I do hope that I can return in the near future, but I can't guarantee it.

Regards,

Simon Paley

Hi Simon,

Quick question, I've ordered one of your modern platform shelters which has turned up damaged, to repair using suitable styrene rods, what would be the safest effective adhesive to use as I don't want to use anything that may attack the plastic used in the 3d printing method, cheers

• 2 months later...

This is my latest design, it's RILA Rail and RILA360 scansystems, wich is now is in the UK. You can read about the system in the next link.

http://www.railengineer.uk/2016/09/23/getting-up-to-speed-rail-asset-information-hits-the-fast-track/

My version can be easily mounted in the NEM shaft.

625x465_16969588_9637060_1482130720.jpg

625x465_16969589_9637060_1482130720.jpg

625x465_16969590_9637060_1482130720.jpg

00 scale version :http://shpws.me/N6MK

N scale version: http://shpws.me/N6ML

Thanks Jeroen

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I'm incredibly sorry for the distinct lack of updates and new products over the past six months or so, basically I had to move house very quickly last September, due to a rather aggressive arguement with a new tenant in the house share I was in, which happened as I was designing a commission for printing, it wasn't a particularly nice time for me and I haven't been able to get back into the groove enough to actually sit down and design in CAD, so my apologies for that.

However, there is light on the horizon, as part of a small project to create a small home layout (which I will detail soon I think), I have been think about some stuff to print, here's a preliminary list:

• A range of detailing components for diesel depots (comments on what components please)
  • De-railers
  • Location Cases (both conventional and Modular 'Object Controller' types)
  • Siemens / Westinghouse 'Surelock' Point motors (for use on London Underground Layouts
  • Some modern signal box detailing components (G.S.P's / Relay Room components / Panels)

If you are interested in any of these, please reply and if you want anything else, say and I'll have a look into it. For the moment, this just putting 'feelers' out there to see what people want.

Simon

• Like 2

Hi,

Further to my re-start of producing stuff to print, I've managed to complete drawings for two types of Westinghouse Point Motors, the 'Style 63' motors:

post-7271-0-68372300-1500232697.jpeg

As well as the new London Underground 'Surelock' Motors (which are in fact just updated 63s):

post-7271-0-16304100-1500232709.jpeg

Both will be offered as a pack of 4 and priced around £9.

Also, this is the first time using Fusion 360 which is far superior than Sketchup and I might go back and start updating some of my older files (like the AWS Magnets).

Simon

• Like 3

Hi,

One product that has been requested, mostly by 'Stationmaster', was the Western Region Style Location Cupboards:

post-7271-0-12492800-1500321238.jpg

I've asked Mike for some clarification on things, so they aren't quite ready, but this the first draft. One thing to note is that the handles are probably way over scale in terms of thickness and depth, but this is to get around the limitations of 3D Printing, I've left them but you would carve them off.

Hope you like them!

Simon

• Like 2

Hi,

I had a little play about with what I could do in Fusion 360 last night and produced this:

post-7271-0-03910600-1500463445.jpeg

It's a Dorman 3 Aspect ILS Signal with Position Light and Miniature Route Indicator, a little personal project for a new layout. It will be Cosmetic for the moment (as I'm not sure how to fit the electronics in there!).

This won't be offered for Sale, as there isn't enough market demand for an ILS signal, let alone a Non-Working one! Although, If you would like an ILS Signal, please get in contact!

Simon

Hi,

I'm still looking for suggestions for Modern Depot detailing components, if anybody has an suggestions, please get in contact!

Simon

How about spares that would be sat around the depot, traction motors, compressors, exhausters, wheel sets and lifting gear (not lifting jacks)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of updates again, a combination of work, college, NVQ and general stress has meant 3D Printing has once again been left at the wayside. I have got test prints of the Surelock and Style 63 Point Motors, so I'll release those for sale over the next few days, I haven't been able to get them painted yet though!

In other news, Metr0land has made me aware that the link in my signature to my shop was defective, I have now resolved this, and here is a correct link:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sjpmodels

Simon

• 2 months later...

Hi,

A couple more products have been drawn up:

post-7271-0-31242800-1514389120.jpg

A Eurobalise, something to go with your Hornby Class 800 when it arrives, or for those that are building an up to date model of the Thameslink Core Route! I'm looking at providing these in packs of 10 in FUD

post-7271-0-81082000-1514389128.jpg

This is a commission for a old style BR Passenger Information Displays in 'O' Gauge, I hope to add these in 'OO' in due course

Simon

• Like 4

Hi Simon

Just wondering when/if your Style 63 Westinghouse point motors in 00 are likely to be on sale? I am waiting for them before I place an order for a few other things too, to save on postage!

Thanks

Hi Mike,

I'll put them up for sale at the weekend, I promise.

They have been ready for sale for a while, but I want to paint mine before, but that's a bit silly as I haven't got the facilities at the moment.

Simon

I have suspended their account for breach of forum rules and courtesies.

Thank you Andy, I don't know why they used my thread to market themselves!

Just for the record, no I don't require 3D printing services, Shapeways are very good and works perfectly for me and I'll be sticking with them.

Simon

• Like 2

Hi Mike,

I'll put them up for sale at the weekend, I promise.

They have been ready for sale for a while, but I want to paint mine before, but that's a bit silly as I haven't got the facilities at the moment.

Simon

Hi,

The Style 63 & Surelock Cosmetic Point Motors are now for sale:

Style 63s: https://www.shapeways.com/product/98B6RRPSK/w-02-westinghouse-style-63-point-motor-pack-of?optionId=63180446 

Surelocks: https://www.shapeways.com/product/DTJ97VGNS/w-01-surelock-point-motor-pack-of-4?optionId=63178577

Simon

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm about to embark on a project to 3D Print a range of Interior Components for Signal Boxes (excluding true Mechanical Signal Boxes, that's better done as an Etched Part).

For the moment it'll be a range to suit the current Ready to Plant and Kit Signal Boxes that are available (Bachmann, Hornby, PECO, Wills, Ratio etc). After which It'll become maybe a modular range.

At the moment I'm working to do the following:

• Route Setting Panels (I.F.S / O.C.S & NX Panels)
  • Miniature Westinghouse Lever Frame
  • VDU Workstations
  • Relay Room / Interlocking Room Interior Details.

So, if any body has information on either the interior dimensions of available model signal boxes or dimensions of various panels and frames, please let me know!

Simon

• Like 2

Hello Simon.

Thanks for all of the information. I have learnt a lot from this. I cannot continue making my loft layout 12' x 9' (4m x 3m) as diverting the track around the leaks is too much hassle!

off the top of your head do you think it would be too expensive to 3D print OO gauge Victorian (etc)  buildings? For example the usual two up two down types as I have drawn a row of terraced houses in 3D AutoCAD would like to see what it looks like in 3D plastic.

I have looked at the shapeways site but wonder what would happen to my model after I have uploaded it for a price on their website. Do you think it would be too expensive to print two separate models with opposing front doors?

Thanks,

Rich

• 2 months later...

Hi,

As you might have seen, I'll be taking samples of my 3D Printed range to the SWAG members day in Taunton in a couple of weeks: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132527-swag-members-day-2018

If you are attending and would like to me to bring a sample of a specific product, please PM me and I'll order a test print.

Simon

• Like 1

Very interested to hear about the Westinghouse Frames... Shame you're not doing specific mechanical bits though.

Can't think of any specific requests off the top of my head... nothing modern (By which I mean post-1923. You could do some SR Lattice Post Brackets, but they're modern image as far as I'm concerned!) at any rate. LBSCR Split-Post signals would be fantastic, but are certainly not modern given that there are none left in existence!