Agenoria WR 1366 Pannier for Pencarrow Bridge

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Decided to Google 1366 pannier tank, and found this little gem

http://www.ooobopshibam.webspace.virginmedia.com/railways/docktank.htm

Feel better now?

Simon

Yes, I've seen that review before. I feel some the expectations and methods used are 'interesting' particularly the approach to rivets....

• RMweb Premium

Mike's CD of photos arrived this morning. Loads of fantastic shots not only of the cab interior but also the bunker area and other details. Great stuff. The only problem is that now I know what should be there I have to include it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No doubt Mike will be watching carefully and provide comment when you fall short of the standards we all expect of you :nono: !!

I expect no less! Stops me getting lazy and taking short cuts that I'll later regret.

Out of interest would anyone care to guess the diameter of the circular recess for the handbrake? 12-15"??

• RMweb Premium

The Pannier Papers book has been mentioned in a post above. Cracking book but almost all of the shots are of the front and sides. One partial of the bunker rear. A great shot of the front and tank tops from the front but nothing similar of the bunker. To be expected really - what sort of weirdo would be interested in bunkers!

(Edit: In reply to post 697, but for some reason it didn't carry over)

But Chris, you gotta get with the vibe!

Don't ya know currently "it's all about the base" . . . and Megan says you gotta have "all the right junk in all the right places".

"Boys like a little more booty, you know" and some guys seem to like bunkers too!

I must watch my diet!!!

• RMweb Premium

(Edit: In reply to post 697, but for some reason it didn't carry over)

But Chris, you gotta get with the vibe!

Don't ya know currently "it's all about the base" . . . and Megan says you gotta have "all the right junk in all the right places".

"Boys like a little more booty, you know" and some guys seem to like bunkers too!

I must watch my diet!!!

You've been listening to young people's radio again haven't you John? I hope you kept the volume down, don't want complaints from the neighbours.

• RMweb Gold

You've been listening to young people's radio again haven't you John? I hope you kept the volume down, don't want complaints from the neighbours.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Radio 2 Chris.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I expect no less! Stops me getting lazy and taking short cuts that I'll later regret.

Out of interest would anyone care to guess the diameter of the circular recess for the handbrake? 12-15"??

Could be Radius 6" or 7 1/2" times two ??? HTH

I think it would be nearer 2 feet diameter, maybe even a bit bigger, but centred on the actual brake spindle. 

There must be drawings of the brake handle in GWRJ or other similar publications, and there must be room for the fireman's hands as well.

I imagine banging your knuckles on a bit of cold steel first thing in the morning is not likely to brighten your day, particularly if you have to shovel coal for the rest of the shift.

best

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've had chance tonight to look at all the images Mike has sent me on the laptop. Lots of details to think about and a few more things spotted that aren't quite right with the kit as it stands. I have an action plan however...

• Like 1

well, it does, but you can still get some useful info from it;

post-6675-0-64129300-1411511716.jpg

the nearer edge of the drum is about one third to half of the width of one of the doors in the backsheet, and the farther edge is under the third or fourth window bar from the left.

If you can measure the distance between these points on your model - and work out how far they are from the spindle of the brake standard, you have three points - one of them is the centre of the circle, and the other two should be on the outside of it.  You have therefore enough info to make the drum radius. Humans being humans, there is a pretty good chance that the drum size will be a sensible "whole number" of inches, or fractions of a foot.

You can also see that there is a rivetted flange around the drum - you'll have to estimate the width of that, but it gives you a position for the top of the drum.  The bottom of the drum will not be below the "shelf" on the inside where you had your sandbox lids until recently, in fact it is probably higher by the width of that rivetted flange plus a midge's, but actually it doesn't matter because nobody is going to be inside the bunker looking up!

(I don't care how dilgent a rivet counter 'ee is, 'ee can't see both sides of the loco at once!)

And the verification - would the handle turn inside the drum without skinning the fireman's knuckles?

If you want better detail, I fear you'll have to either get your tape measure out and follow Mike to Chinnor (?), or try to find the works drawings, hopefully at York.  I guess it depends on where you, personally, draw the line between "accurate model" and "visibly representational".

On which note, I'm interested to see how deep and lustrous the green paint is, and how "white" the black is.  I feel a bout of weathering coming on...

S

Edited by Simond

• RMweb Premium

Take care with the handbrake position on the model and first compare with the photo (which is not very good I'm afraid) as I'm not entirely sure if the model position coincides with the real one.

No it's in the wrong place Mike. I'm starting again from scratch and will be working of the drawings (with the instructions cast far to one side)

• Like 1