Kettering Area Ironstone Railways

Down_Under

Hi All,

I have recently started to get back into the hobby after a break of 15 years or so. I have decided that I would like to model some of the ironstone railways of the midlands. I have some fond memories of stumbing over the remnents of the Oxfordshire Ironstone Railways as a small child. I also have memories of watching short documentary on the ironstone railways (BBC "Lines of Industry" - Trains Now Departing). To cut a long story short, I now live in Australia (working in the mining industry) and stumbled across this doco on BBC i player ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p011v86f/the-train-now-departing-5-lines-of-industry). With much footage of "SCALDWELL", and discoverying that she made it into preservation I thought it would make a good prototype to model.

I have done as much research as I can online - I have acquired several books by Eric Tonks on the ironstone railways and had a look at all the bits I might need (boy have things changed since I was about 15!). My plan was to attempt to build to 4mm scale a 3ft Ironstone railway. My basic outline was this:

SCALDWELL

2'9" driving wheels

10 x 14" Cylinders

This is all I know. I have contacted Amberly Steam Museum - but I have heard nothing yet back on some basic dimensions (width between frames, width, length etc). At the moment I have been "guesstimating" based upon sleeper sizes and people in video and photos.

I plan to kit bash the saddle tank of a Dapol pug, and pretty much scratch build the rest. I can get wheels from Alan Gibson, and cut down some axles to suit. Valve gear - I am a little stuck, probably at this stage end up modify some Alan gibson or Markits generic double slide cross heads.

3ft Gauge track

I have had a look at the 3mm society web page and see that I can get code 60 bullhead rail and sleepers, and chairs. This seems like a good place to start for scale track.

So I guess, as a newbie, any help or information that people might have would be much appreciated. I will post up some of the drawings I make as I do them.

James

As a starting point, what thickness brass would one build a chassis out off?

J

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

When I was scratch building locomotive chassis many moons ago (far more than I care to count or admit) I used to use 1/8" brass so, to bring it up to date, that would be 3mm.

There was an article in the February 1966 Model Railway News magazine on ironstone railways which included 7mm scale drawings of LAMPORT (sister engine to SCALDWELL) and a Scaldwell Quarry tip wagon.

The Industrial Railway Society's RECORD magazine issue No.13 also included a drawing of a Scaldwell wagon which is available online -

Go to  http://www.irsociety.co.uk  - I.R.Record Achives -  Index of Back Issues - No.13 March 1967

If you send me your Email address in a PM I could scan the loco drawing and send it as an Email attachment.  Obviously for copyright reasons I can't post it here.

The RECORD drawing available online is the better of the two wagon drawings as it shows both the tip and non-tip sides of the wagon.

This article in the RECORD should also be useful - http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/60/Ironstone.htm

I hope this helps. 

Edited by PGH

Many thanks to PGH for the info on the loco drawings.

omega - I have not. Thanks for the heads up. I had not realised that there was a NGRm forum (still feeling my way about).

Will post up pictures etc as I build up the model - possibly MIT migrate it into the scratch building section.

James

• 2 years later...

Well, this is good news!

http://www.steamrailway.co.uk/steamnews/2016/11/17/southwolds-first-steam-loco

Looks like Scadwell has a home and plans for restoration. The locomotive that captured my imagination in Industrial Railways thanks to "the train now departing series" and Ivo Peters photos and clips.

Going to Southwold Railway - I have many a fond memory of walking the old Southwold railway, catching the ferry (rowed by a man) across the river from Walberswick to Southwold, running through and playing in th old WW2 "dragons teeth'" and pillboxes.

I've made my donation - I hope it all works out.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good to see the plan for Scaldwell's restoration. It was in working order [steamed once] when it went to Brockham Museum, the predecessor to Amberley!

Dava

• 3 weeks later...

ironstone narrow gauge by Dan Quine

issue 105 - part 1, Waltham

106 - part 2, kettering furnaces

108 - part 3, wellingborough

part 4 isnt in the latest one (issue 109) so i guess it'll be in 110

Thanks for that. The index to the review series is not particularly helpfully organised when trying to find what's in a specific issue, and bits and pieces have appeared on the Ironstone railways over a number of years. 

If you are modelling 12mm gauge, an obvious resource is the Peco HOm track range . Small but potentially very useful and should look reasonable for 4mm narrow gauge. Then you only have to worry about chassis building - point building becomes a "nice to have" rather than a deal-breaker

• 4 weeks later...

ironstone narrow gauge by Dan Quine

issue 105 - part 1, Waltham

106 - part 2, kettering furnaces

108 - part 3, wellingborough

part 4 isnt in the latest one (issue 109) so i guess it'll be in 110

Hi, I'm finishing up the Scaldwell article now, and hope it will indeed appear in issue 110.

Dan

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have you Heard of Lord Granby? www.lordgranbyrail.org.uk

Good question, I remember Lord Granby in storage for years at Leeds Armely Industrial Museum, never restored. Easily confused [by me anyway] with the rather similar Handyman which is being restored at the NRM. I didn't realize Lord Granby was being restored not far away from here so I'd be interested to visit, see it and contribute. It doesn't look from the website that working order is likely but a display on the ironstone mines in the Eastwell area would be good as I've enjoyed the photos in 'Bylines'and such on that system.

Link to interesting IRS article here http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/60/Ironstone.htm

Dava

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is a link to Lord Granby in #14 above, Handyman is below, there is RmWeb thread below also

http://www.nrm.org.uk/~/media/files/nrm/pdf/archiveslists/tech-files/2008-7985-handyman.pdf

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123870-mystery-stripped-down-loco-at-the-nrm/&do=findComment&comment=2760730

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Handyman looks like a bit of a dead duck right now...

There are still updates on the eastwell heritage group's Facebook pace, but it is likely Lord Granby will become an exhibition piece for now...

I'm not sure of the idea of overseas preservation. As one person in this forum said.

Anyway, Nancy (also from Eastwell) is under preservation on the Cavan and Leitrim Railway in Eire.