What should I do with my old Railway Modellers

hayfield

• RMweb Gold

I give mine to our local model shop that sells them at €1 each for charity. I saw an advert in RM a few years ago from someone wanting offers for a shed full of magazines. I did not want the magazines but through the advert I discovered that my neighbour at the other end of my street was a modeller with an outdoor OO layout.

• Like 3

I'm rather on the reverse end of things; I had an absolute heap of RM and MRC, plus a few cherished Morills and MRJ, then had to go abroad for a family emergency only to return to angleterre to find they had been thrown out by well meaning relatives (along with my half-finished 009 micro) ' We thought you didn't want them anymore...!' Nightmare. I'm starting again with an O 16.5 not-quite-micro, and trying to find mags. I miss em! I'm in the Bournemouth, Dorset area; if any one has any old mags they are going to bin or take to charity shop, PM me if you would like them to go to a good home! Or if you want to talk 7mm NG :)

I've only got magazines from the past 5 years or so, and with gaps as I tend to only buy if something interests me.

My intent is to cut the spine off, put in a plastic wallet the pages I want to keep and sort into binders by plans, techniques & tutorials, layout inspiration etc

the rest will become hills on the layout itself!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just one thought, not sure if anyone has mentioned it or not - but the Vintage Carriage Trust at Ingrow on the KWVR take magazines that are in good condition. They have a superb magazine room at Ingrown - its free to go into the magazine room, although I think they charge for the museum - but you can find copies of almost anything in there, at vastly reduced prices from when they were new (unless its a vintage edition!)

I know they will always take good quality mags - so anyone looking to sell, or looking to acquire, its worth giving them a thought.

Rich

• 11 months later...

No updates for 11 months!!

I have just acquired a collection of around 500 copies of back issues of RM, from a nice friendly chap, for a nominal donation. Now I need to work out what I am going to do with them all!

I haven't read all of this thread so have a couple of questions...

• Has anyone created a database of all of the articles in back issues of RM?
  • Are Peco Publications likely to have a computerised list of all articles and would they be prepared to make it available?

Assuming that the collective answer is a big fat "No", I am considering the creation of such a database (using Microsoft Excel, because it is simple to use). As I have a rather long commute each day (Littleport to Kings Cross) I thought that I could make use of my time to enter details (on a laptop) of each reviewed layout, reviewed loco/carriage/wagon or piece of equipment, potential plans, techniques, etc. I would then like to scan each of the relevant pages but I suspect that this might be a task too far. Instead, I will remove all of the advertising and anything else that is time-limited. That will leave a core of relevant pages that I will file in ring binders (not sure how, yet). That should substantially reduce the amount of paper, if nothing else.

I assume that, during the process of creating the database, I am going to get side-tracked into reading an article or two. That can only be a good thing as my modelling knowledge is severely limited and, for various reasons, I am unable to make an immediate start on my first layout.

Would anyone else be interested in a database of articles that have appeared in RM over the last 25 - 30 years?

I have an Excel spreadsheet Railway Modeller index that I created about 15 years ago. It covers from the late 1960s up to the early 2000s (I keep meaning to get it up to date again!).

The categories are biased towards my own areas of interest but it may help to start off?

Edited by Nick Gough

No updates for 11 months!!

I have just acquired a collection of around 500 copies of back issues of RM, from a nice friendly chap, for a nominal donation. Now I need to work out what I am going to do with them all!

I haven't read all of this thread so have a couple of questions...

• Has anyone created a database of all of the articles in back issues of RM?
  • Are Peco Publications likely to have a computerised list of all articles and would they be prepared to make it available?

Assuming that the collective answer is a big fat "No", I am considering the creation of such a database (using Microsoft Excel, because it is simple to use). As I have a rather long commute each day (Littleport to Kings Cross) I thought that I could make use of my time to enter details (on a laptop) of each reviewed layout, reviewed loco/carriage/wagon or piece of equipment, potential plans, techniques, etc. I would then like to scan each of the relevant pages but I suspect that this might be a task too far. Instead, I will remove all of the advertising and anything else that is time-limited. That will leave a core of relevant pages that I will file in ring binders (not sure how, yet). That should substantially reduce the amount of paper, if nothing else.

I assume that, during the process of creating the database, I am going to get side-tracked into reading an article or two. That can only be a good thing as my modelling knowledge is severely limited and, for various reasons, I am unable to make an immediate start on my first layout.

Would anyone else be interested in a database of articles that have appeared in RM over the last 25 - 30 years?

This was invaluable when I had my mags

http://www.brmna.org/

Click on Modelling information

Then Mags index of drawings

I have an Excel spreadsheet Railway Modeller index that I created about 15 years ago. It covers from the late 1960s up to the early 2000s (I keep meaning to get it up to date again!).

The categories are biased towards my own areas of interest but it may help to start off?

Wow, that sounds impressive! I would certainly be interested in a copy.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps posting it here might be of use, up to you of course.

Yeah, keeping it up to date, is the hard part. But perhaps those of us that have compiled part indexes could contribute?

Thre are of course, on line indexes for Model Rail and Model Railway Journal available.

Being unable to interest anyone in the 40 years worth of RM's I recently acquired I'm considering burying them in soft peat for three months and recycling them as firelighters (to misquote Douglas Adams)

Perhaps posting it here might be of use, up to you of course.

Yeah, keeping it up to date, is the hard part. But perhaps those of us that have compiled part indexes could contribute?

Thre are of course, on line indexes for Model Rail and Model Railway Journal available.

Happy to do that if it works okay.

Railway Modeller.xlsx

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I was first involved in the arcane science of BR station management in Kent, during the mid-70s, it seemed that every timetable change a full set of WTTs for every member of traincrew would arrive, but significantly fewer would actually be taken by the chaps. Thus next timetable change there was a pile of now useless but pristine WTTs. The recommended practice for disposal was to parcel them up securely and put them on the next train south, addressed to the Station Manager Dover Priory. One was careful not to include any clues as to the point of origin. Presumably he was believed to have facilities for having them towed out to sea and given a decent burial.

They is another thread "on looking into old railway modellers", I've almost got a complete set and have asked is there digital copies like meccano magazine, there are cd's from about 2000 but believe they discontinued them now.

I've started to experiment with scanning pages using digital cameras​, scanners etc trying to get good quality copies, small print and glossy pages from some early days don't help.

I've many duplicates so started to cut them up to get better copies.

It might be a long term project, but always have enjoyed reading past copies, perhaps in old age might be reading them on some large telly in some retirement home glad I copied them while I have the chance.

Cut down time just doing the pages not the adverts, some early version s the adverts are interesting but as most adverts are over several months just copy one and add them to December s edition

Just one thought, not sure if anyone has mentioned it or not - but the Vintage Carriage Trust at Ingrow on the KWVR take magazines that are in good condition. They have a superb magazine room at Ingrown - its free to go into the magazine room, although I think they charge for the museum - but you can find copies of almost anything in there, at vastly reduced prices from when they were new (unless its a vintage edition!)

I know they will always take good quality mags - so anyone looking to sell, or looking to acquire, its worth giving them a thought.

Rich

The Vintage Carriage Trust is where my old mags go. Just be careful that you don't get tempted to buy more mags whilst you're dropping off your unwanted . Although I suppose you could always donate them back once they've out lived their usefulness.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Vintage Carriage Trust is where my old mags go. Just be careful that you don't get tempted to buy more mags whilst you're dropping off your unwanted . Although I suppose you could always donate them back once they've out lived their usefulness.

The old book and magazine shop at the Buckinghamshire Rail Centre also accepts old magazines.

The Model Railway Club library has complete collections of the major magazines going back many years. you need to be a member to borrow books form there, but visitors are welcome to browse on Thursday evenings.

And no, they probably don't want any more mags!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In my club the old Railway Modellers get a reduced annual membership fee. :) :)

Does that work out cheaper than gutting and binding them?

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here- 20+ years Railway Modellers (and various others, including some French ones) all occupying a huge amount of space. I'll give them away for free quite (indeed, very) happily, but (as my name implies) I live in Madrid. Anyone else here? I'm about 10 minutes walk from the railway museum...