Ngauge shunting plank No:1

Having recently spent 18months building a 2mm shunting plank I felt the need to to build something simple and quick, so I built this Ngauge shunting plank out of spares, left overs and reclaimed bits and pieces from previous models; in fact the only things I made for this model  are the buffer stops, everything else has been reused from other projects.

The layout measures approx 3x1ft and is of a modular design, in that the running lines at the rear and indeed the yard could be built into a larger layout or other modules if I so wish at a later stage.

The yard is comprised of two yards, the top yard and the bottom yard, where one shunter passes stock from one yard to another shunter in the other yard; so far, with only a hand full of converted stock this takes quite a while to achieve, so hopefully when the yards are full and schedules have been created in the form of shuffled cards with photos of the wagons and a siding number to be shunted into, this small layout will provide endless hours of interest.

There are still some finishing touches to add and some tidying up to do, but at the moment I am currently converting stock to BB couplings so the yards can be shunted with automatic uncoupling.

post-10866-0-53811900-1405769639_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-95405100-1405769658_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-40235800-1405769680_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-81901600-1405769693_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-25759900-1405769716_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-96231200-1405769727_thumb.jpg

Inspirational. Nice one... what are the bufferstops? Are they the 2mm kits?

No. the stops are scratch built from code 60 rail for the rails and code 40 for the rest, all soldered to pcb sleepers

I'm converting stock to BB couplings for auto/delayed uncoupling and so as not to have to convert the locos I've converted one end of a conflat as a shunters truck.
This photo shows perfectly the difference between a rapido coupling and a BB coupling

post-10866-0-14261500-1406044375_thumb.jpg

Guest bri.s

You've a great little layout ,very nicely modelled . and those scratchbuilt buffers are excellent .

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

All brickwork inc the signalbox is Slaters 4mm brick sheet, weathered to various degrees

Quite a few 2mm modellers use 4mm brick sheets. Is it better to use this than the 2mm sheets? What are the advantages? Are the 2mm sheets under scale?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Best regard,

Jeremy

IMHO.....

2mm brick sheet is so small, it loses all definition

4mm might be over scale but at least you can see the bricks without the use of a microscope

Personally I'm not that fussed about the exact scale of things (life's to short) if it looks right, then that's good enough

Rgds,

Stuart

IMHO.....

2mm brick sheet is so small, it loses all definition

4mm might be over scale but at least you can see the bricks without the use of a microscope

Personally I'm not that fussed about the exact scale of things (life's to short) if it looks right, then that's good enough

Rgds,

Stuart

Cheers Stuart. I may switch to 4mm brick sheet,as you are right, at least you can see the brick courses.

Archived