Wayne's Workbench - Wagon bashing, locos, and other stuff.

hello i notice you are modeling a bna wagon did you have any luck with the transfers cant seem to find any one who does them im doing one in railfreight red regardas mike.

Hi Mike,

Yes I need to get round to doing the transfers on the BNA, I think most people do them the old way by cutting up individual numbers but having done that recently for my rake of SSAs I don't fancy doing it again so I may look at other options possibly making them up on computer, I'm also not aware of any transfers available from the trade for these wagons so I would say it's out of those two options.

Sorry I cant help more.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

No work this weekend so some modelling is in order.

I'm awaiting wheelsets to arrive to finish some wagons and it's been some time since I tackled a loco project so at last a start has been made on 56073. So far all traces of old livery have been removed and the rather odd and course fan grilles have opened out to take replacements in etched brass.

The tripple grey livery is being retained as I think Hornby have done quite a decent job of it.

Here's the current state of play.

post-6773-0-50770600-1465654880.jpg

More to follow.

Cheers

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening,

Having really got the bug for a loco here's the state of play with 56073. Not much done to this in the form of replacement parts as it was kind of an experiment to see if it would be worth retaining the original livery, although new fan grilles have been fitted as have horn grilles and lifting point covers.

A few final jobs remain to be done but it's more or less finished.

Was the experiment worth it? I'm in two minds about it but I'll let the photo decide.

Cheers.

post-6773-0-50322200-1466968354.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

56073 now reassembled after some additional weathering, I still need to fit some NRN aerials but she's otherwise there. Having said that I'll be doing something about the glazing in future as I don't like the fit of the Hornby windows so I'll most likely Laserglaze it at some point.

Bits that don't show in the photo includes greased brake linkages and weathered air hoses.

It is intended to be modelled in the condition of not long after being transferred to Cardiff Canton and swapping Coal for Metals sector and joining the FMCK allocation so I've left the bodysides quite clean. 

post-6773-0-79174100-1468170483.jpg

• Like 4

That's a very attractive tin box Wayne. Nice job.

Rob.

A tin box with one hell of a power unit though Rob! Thanks for the kind words

I apologise for double posting a picture of this one guys, I'm experimenting on improving my model photography and I've dug out a portable studio I have, rigged it up on the coffee table with a lamp behind and took this one. It's much clearer than the last one but it seems the lamp I'm using is casting a slight yellow/orange tone over things.

Any comments on how to improve things further are welcome as I'm no photography expert (as I'm sure you can see).

Wayne

post-6773-0-27034100-1468182590.jpg

• Like 5

Nothing too exciting this weekend to update with but I've dug out some SPAs which are being fitted with sprung suspension. This really is the way to go with LWB wagons and is now a fitment I've adopted as standard even for ready to run stock, kit built stock gets them during construction.

post-6773-0-98419900-1468775636.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 3

Thanks Baz,

While I agree that the kits are doing well for their age, like most Cambrian kits there is a bit of cleaning up to do before assembly but it's worth it. There is a reason why I stuck with Cambrian for SPAs instead of the new FTG model but I wont go into them here.

The main reason for replacing them on the Cambrian wagons is to help improve running and the appearance of the axle guard area.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Nice grid and wagons.

How difficult was it to remove the numbers and markings from the Hornby 56, and what method did you use?

I have a 56 I want to re-number and de-name, and have heard it's a PITA to remove Hornby printing.

Many thanks

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the kind words.

No special methods used on the removal just the usual method of a sharpened cocktail stick and thinners. The running numbers came off quite easily but the sectors were a bit stubborn and on these I used T Cut and cotton buds. I did have a little paint fade away but luckily the new sector logos took care of that, as the base model I was using wasn't named (56127) I didn't have to try and remove the printed plate while trying to preserve the paint.

Hope that helps.

Wayne

Spent this evening working on the SPAs again to get them ready for underframe painting. Replacement springs and axle boxes are now fitted so nearly ready for the brake gear to go on then it's painting and weathering.

post-6773-0-74402400-1469576568.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

With work on the SPA wagons well advanced now that a couple of niggles have been sorted I've started on a loco I've wanted to model for some time.

This is the base for what will become 47350 'Scorpion' which is one I've wanted to do for some time but have been waiting to pick up a model with the correct boiler plating.

post-6773-0-28207400-1470591399.jpg

A few bits and bobs will be added to this one but the main job will be to change the battery box area to include boiler water tanks.

More soon.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi steggy 1990,

Sorry I missed your post somehow, the etched w irons are some spare Comet Models ones I had.

Been a bit quiet on here but I've been busy getting stock ready for a show in January.

The rake of Clayhoods has progressed since the above picture and the current state of play is shown below. These are proving quite a nice little project since I've not modelled 'traditional' revenue earning wagons before and they're also the first items of stock I'm doing to EM gauge so I'm making more of an effort on the detail with these.

post-6773-0-61130700-1480899501.jpg

I've since progressed them further than this photo which was taken Sunday morning.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 2

A tin box with one hell of a power unit though Rob! Thanks for the kind words

I apologise for double posting a picture of this one guys, I'm experimenting on improving my model photography and I've dug out a portable studio I have, rigged it up on the coffee table with a lamp behind and took this one. It's much clearer than the last one but it seems the lamp I'm using is casting a slight yellow/orange tone over things.

Any comments on how to improve things further are welcome as I'm no photography expert (as I'm sure you can see).

Wayne

attachicon.gif56073_4.jpg

This looks good with your work and a proper buffer beam with all the pipes and hoses.

My own view on these models is that they are most let down by the recessed roof grilles, which of course you've changed. I really can't understand what was in Hornby's mind when they fitted metal grilles, but sunk them a scale 4-6 inches into the bodyshell! As ever the buffer beam detailing makes the final result look like a miniature of the real thing, and not just a toy with goalpost and whalehook dominant.

John.

Hi your acid tta looks great!

How did you build it and where did you get the plans?

Is it now finished?

Hi muddy water,

I've made a little more progress with the Acid TTA but not enough to warrant a new picture yet. The next stage is to start the loading hatch and ladder/walkway detail and that's a bit of work. At the moment I'm concentrating on stock for the layout as I have a show in January.

The drawing for this came from the book Modelling The British Rail era. The one in the book is for a Chlorine tank wagon but as some were converted for Sulphuric Acid traffic the wagon is pretty much the same apart from the loading hatch details. I built mine using a plastic tube and the ends came from scrap Airfix/Dapol Esso tank wagon kits.

HTH

This looks good with your work and a proper buffer beam with all the pipes and hoses.

My own view on these models is that they are most let down by the recessed roof grilles, which of course you've changed. I really can't understand what was in Hornby's mind when they fitted metal grilles, but sunk them a scale 4-6 inches into the bodyshell! As ever the buffer beam detailing makes the final result look like a miniature of the real thing, and not just a toy with goalpost and whalehook dominant.

John.

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes the grilles do jar quite a bit but it's nothing an hour or two at the workbench cant fix. Another thing that stands out is the open lifting point where there should be a cover, again parts are available for this but in this day and age when the internet is full of research photos manufacturers really shouldn't get these simple details wrong.

Having said that it's still an excellent model.

Cheers

Nice blog. Nice modelling.

Cheers fella.

More progress on the rake of Clayhoods in between other things. As I said earlier these are the first wagons I'm modelling in EM gauge and as such I've been looking at what others do and decided to pay a little more attention to the detail side of things, especially where the underframe is concerned.

The w-irons on both the Bachmann and Ratio models have incorrect axleboxes as well as looking on the skinny side, so I've replaced mine with etched BR ones and added new cast axleboxes and they look much better when compared to photos. I've also added some relief to the brake rigging, nothing fancy just some of the moulded and missing items replaced with brass rod and strip. I'm not going the whole hog as most of it cant be seen when the model is upright but here's a couple of pictures showing how the improvements look.

post-6773-0-57572400-1481458382.jpg

post-6773-0-07501000-1481458394.jpg

Once this is done on the others it will be time to tackle the hood and then my favourite part of any project, lettering and weathering.

More soon.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1