Vopak Chemical Complex, Barry docks terminal.

naturol

The hunt is on for a European model of one of these now then, who said this hobby wasn't multi faceted.

I collected the tanktainers off brian Tucker yesterday, fantastic job of weathering them down.

Will post a few in situ pictures later, having an hour on the track first, and may play trains for a bit.

( the cow catchers on the Bachmann 37 foul the crossing so a bit of Swann Morton 10a action is due.)

It's a while since I used the phrase " Dr. Love is ready to operate, " but if I don't slip it in now, it might not get used again, Phnaff. Phnaff.

The hunt is on for a European model of one of these now then, who said this hobby wasn't multi faceted.

I collected the tanktainers off brian Tucker yesterday, fantastic job of weathering them down.

Will post a few in situ pictures later, having an hour on the track first, and may play trains for a bit.

( the cow catchers on the Bachmann 37 foul the crossing so a bit of Swann Morton 10a action is due.)

It's a while since I used the phrase " Dr. Love is ready to operate, " but if I don't slip it in now, it might not get used again, Phnaff. Phnaff.

I know this one's white, not silver:- http://www.univers-train.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=7202764

Otherwise, Electrotren do a silver bogie tank that you'd have to re-letter- I may have some Tiphook transfers here.

• Like 1

Those aren't the most difficult tanks in the world to scratchbuild - a bit of 40mm waste pipe, cast cone ends from A1 (or S kits? ) or make your own from car body filler, a bit of evergreen 4mm [ section for the solebars and Canbrian Y25 bogies - probably cobble something together from A1 or Skits TTA/TEA etched walkways.

Easy for a man of your talents.

Jon

• Like 1

Productive couple of hours, unscheduled but the rain stopped play outside.post-9901-0-74424300-1436718028_thumb.jpg

Following on from recent posts the railfreight grey option may well be a period to model, there are a better choice of road vehicles to start with.post-9901-0-99026400-1436718165_thumb.jpg

The containers roughly stacked as the scenic break on the front of the layout, these and the tanktainers were weathered by local modeller Brian Tucker, When they were pristine they stood out to much....now you don't see them.post-9901-0-19625700-1436718489_thumb.jpgpost-9901-0-32258700-1436718516_thumb.jpgpost-9901-0-35400100-1436718542_thumb.jpgpost-9901-0-71808900-1436718556_thumb.jpgpost-9901-0-83586800-1436718598_thumb.jpg

This image is for Baz to try and spot all the bits he has kindly provided for the plant.

• Like 12

There are numerous fenced in semi secure open yards for rent on the dock side, located off Wimbourne way, is the storage yard for the local bus collectors, where numerous single and double deckers in a wide range of decay appear abandoned,

The nearby Western Welsh bus depot is now home to the renovated buses.

So, as a nod to the bus enthusiasts I found this on the Rails website.

post-9901-0-13952000-1436727039_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Tried to use the spare Dynamis as a test controller today but, it's u/s so I'm sending it off to see if it can be repaired. So that's it for testing at present, next call, replace the Powercab.

The printers have finished the backscene, so that's. To be collected next week,

The wood from B&Q is cut ready in the garage, so next up test all track again with new system, strip boards, build the enclosure.

Heavy work. Commitments and holidays will frustrate progress for the next few weeks.

Thanks for the comments and pointers for stock.

Great Progress as always Paul. I've got a spare dynamis handset you could borrow if you like?

I sent an email to Bachmann this morning and got a reply when I got home. The toggle unit is malfunctioning, but it can be replaced for £25.00 as its out of warranty, I'm happy with that so mines off in the post tomorow. So thanks for the offer but I'll muddle by till its returned.

How's life on the three day week?

Ps need some dimensions for your layout, proposed dates for the show have changed, it's now scheduled for January 23 rd next year, my birthday, venue and details to follow as will an announcement on the thread.

This might come back and bite me in the arse.

Whilst researching the Stolt tankers, it occurred to me that the berths on the dock and discharge facility are actually for the windmill tank farm, on Hayes road, sully, and the overhead pipework runs to facility, owned by VOPAK.

So, without further adu, I formally present the re-branded "VOPAK terminal."

How long before my avatar gets changed, and overbearing emails appear.post-9901-0-85491900-1436812277_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I sent an email to Bachmann this morning and got a reply when I got home. The toggle unit is malfunctioning, but it can be replaced for £25.00 as its out of warranty, I'm happy with that so mines off in the post tomorow. So thanks for the offer but I'll muddle by till its returned.

How's life on the three day week?

Ps need some dimensions for your layout, proposed dates for the show have changed, it's now scheduled for January 23 rd next year, my birthday, venue and details to follow as will an announcement on the thread.

That's not to bad then £25.

Yeah I'll text you the dimensions in the week, I'm gonna add an off scene/fiddle yard/runaround to help play value at a show. January sounds good to me, gives me an extra 8 weeks to finish it lol. I hope beers are involved for said birthday lol.

Picked up the 12' by 1' backscene image, it's rather tiptop. It's under the bed lying flat until I glue it up. My honey is not impressed.

I've now expanded into another of the sacred domestic habitats, garage, shed ,spare room. Loft and now the citadel of tranquility.

• Like 1

The trouble with the inter web and research is that your eyes are constantly being opened to new shiny things. And like a kid in Lord and Butlers, I want one. Or actually more than one.

I have been looking at sourcing continental wagons, mainly tanks, to run on the layout, I exhibited at the last Folkestone show and found the port terminal fascinating, so, I have been looking at Dover train ferry, and the idea crossed my mind that you could build a layout using the train ferry as the off scene fiddle yard, with the loading/ unloading ramp and support Derrick as the scenic break, and have then a fan of sidings as the layout main board, and a second short fiddle yard to run off the opposite side,

The attraction would be continental wagons, being shunted by 09s, 33s, etc,

But the following few pictures would be the talking points.

This has a bit more appeal than the concrete segment ring plant, so I guess a new thread will follow.post-9901-0-83550200-1437338491_thumb.jpgpost-9901-0-28961000-1437338505_thumb.jpgpost-9901-0-74023600-1437338520_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I have had similar thoughts in the past, but more based on the Harwich ferries. There is a thread on a different modelling site by someone who built a 4ft long model of one of the ferries with 4 tracks on, that gave me some very bad ideas (building container ships is bad enough). The main problem I found with designing a layout around one was the amount of space required. Plus a ridiculous amount of suitable continental stock! Throw up a link if you do start one though, I'll be following with interest.

• Like 1

Productive couple of hours, unscheduled but the rain stopped play outside.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Following on from recent posts the railfreight grey option may well be a period to model, there are a better choice of road vehicles to start with.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The containers roughly stacked as the scenic break on the front of the layout, these and the tanktainers were weathered by local modeller Brian Tucker, When they were pristine they stood out to much....now you don't see them.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

This image is for Baz to try and spot all the bits he has kindly provided for the plant.

I love this layout - the chemical works really is an impressive sight.

Your LPG tanks inspired me to convert some old Lima tanks into TDA's. (A few photos of the finished TDA's here

Many thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

The attraction would be continental wagons, being shunted by 09s, 33s, etc,

You could do this quite easily in "proper" British H0 scale!

Conversely I *think* your problem would then become finding the correct "British loading gauge" ferry wagons for this, sorry! Back to 4mm then!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

You could do this quite easily in "proper" British H0 scale!

Conversely I *think* your problem would then become finding the correct "British loading gauge" ferry wagons for this, sorry! Back to 4mm then!

Cheers,

John E.

There are/were two or three:- Roco did a VTG Ferrywaggon bogie van, Electrotren did both wooden and steel-bodied Transfesa vans, and someone (Piko?) did a DB low-sided stake wagon.

• Like 1

I really do like the look of this layout, your chemical works is most impressive.

If your thinking along the lines of a train ferry, here in Harwich not only did we have the train ferry, but also the Carless plant is over at Parkeston.

OK, so they're about a mile and a half apart in reality, but using artistic licence this would tie in nicely with your chemical plant.

Now, I'm sorry to be a pedant, but it seems a shame to spoil the look of your layout with a mistake that will take seconds to correct.

I work on Felixstowe dock and looking at the stacking of your boxes gives me a nervous twitch!!

The strongest point of a container is the corner castings. Boxes are always stacked on top of each other on their corner castings, and only ever container of a similar size- eg, 20' on 20', 40' on 40'.

You wouldn't ever stack them 'willy-nilly' with mixed sizes, as they would likely collapse!

Also tank tainers only get stacked 2 high, even if they're empty.

(pedant mode off) Phew, I think I need a lay down in a darkened room after all that!!

• Like 2

The strongest point of a container is the corner castings. Boxes are always stacked on top of each other on their corner castings, and only ever container of a similar size- eg, 20' on 20', 40' on 40'.

You wouldn't ever stack them 'willy-nilly' with mixed sizes, as they would likely collapse!!

Thanks for the comments, the stack is only temporary, as it will be removed to construct the support for the front valance, which will be a thin strip of plywood, the same length as a 20' container sticking up through the baseboard on the board joint, the rest of the stack on the adjoining board will be positioned as in one of the photos from the terminal.

The plan is to actually play trains and take the containers off and place onto the frets to replicate activities, whether this is viable at an exhibition is yet to be established, but it works at present.

lucky you can't see the other side as there is a tesco curtainsider box and a large gap with boxs balanced overlapping just to make up the surface area. They have all been decal'd and weathered on one side only, as they will only be visible from certain angles. It's all smoke and mirrors.......

Following an email from a German retailer advertising on European ebay. Saying " sorry, but the Piko wagon you ordered is out of stock" this turned up today by DHL. And I must say for £23.00 plus postage this will rate as one of my best buys......

post-9901-0-09791900-1437593801_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Now, I'm sorry to be a pedant, but it seems a shame to spoil the look of your layout with a mistake that will take seconds to correct.

I work on Felixstowe dock and looking at the stacking of your boxes gives me a nervous twitch!!

You wouldn't ever stack them 'willy-nilly' with mixed sizes, as they would likely collapse!

W A R N I N G   !

My brother 'naturol' is a full-blown smart @rse !

Brian R

post-1599-0-84606100-1438245961_thumb.jpg

• Like 4