A modular layout

Part of the "overall feel" is down to how the organiser lays everything out - as you say, if there are 10 station modules that are essentially back to back, it'll be operationally difficult and aesthetically wrong.  Of course, the planner can only put together something based on what is offered (and adjusted by things not turning up on the day) so obviously a big group with 30 contributors will be easy enough to cope in most situations if a module or two doesn't appear, but when there are only 5 of you and 20% of your people (ie one) don't turn up on the day that has the critical corner module for the plan, you may find that actually 3 of you don't have the space for the modules you've bought which then may require some ingenuity - even if it's physically picking the train up and putting it on the other part of the layout! 

As I've said before, we sometimes think of modules as 'individual boards, and four of these might make up your "contribution" to the meet whether they form a complete station complex or junction, or the individual boards themselves can actually be spread out as required to extend between other stations (or use as one "contribution" between stations). 

I would suggest it should the responsibility of the builder to ensure their 'contribution' - whether it's individual scenic boards that can go anywhere, or three boards that attach to each other forming a station, to be completely operationally self contained with a suitable length headshunt or run-round loop to ensure that individual station operations can continue without blocking the main running line.  Admittedly in some cases on quiet rural lines using the main as a headshunt was normal practice but it should be easy enough to extend your "contribution" by a foot just to make the headshunt long enough even if the extension isn't used when you are using it at home as a standalone layout.

As long as at the exteme ends of your "contribution" there is the single track in the appropriate place, and the wiring follows the standard, what you do between them shouldn't matter.

One of the 'recommendations' I will propose within our little group is that if you are planning a module set that involves 'stopping' - whether that's an engine shed, a passing loop, a station or a junction, that you also undertake to create at least one "plain track" module of either straight or a curve which can effectively be a flat field if that's all you want to do.

I think in longer term that could well be a sensible move. But initially the idea has to gain some momentum - even if we end upu with two terminus modules with a straight passing station module in between there is still scope for operational interest and more than one train.

As more folk join in a module just for module sake (plain curve or straight track) may turn out to be all we get or needs one of the speedy modellers to go off and create one. As I said earlier any of mine are likely to be pretty plain from the outset likely to be bare boards with track on top (or as I prefer open frame builds - track with supports on a framework) :D

I have also noted just how small 4ft becomes when you drop 2 point on it for the smallest (near useless) passing loop. :(

I would hope that, once we are ready to start building, we can have a discussion and people can list what sort of modules they plan to build - if we see we have 7 people already wanting to build station modules, for example, then perhaps the others will consider building perhaps a scenic board with a junction on it that leads to a quarry that can operate as a self-contained layout on its own with the junction part replaced by a fiddle yard when at home.

Clearly our first (or two, or three) meets are going to be full of issues which we'll hopefully have fun solving together.  Whether that's a technical fault such as a loose wire (can't believe nobody bought a soldering iron with them...), or the fact that the back end of a train is still leaving the previous station as the front is pulling into the next station, as long as we don't take things too seriously and try to run things with efficient military precision, we'll learn.  After all, how many exhibition layouts work perfectly the first time the boards are put together when the whole thing is being built by a group of people each week in the same room?

I would suggest it should the responsibility of the builder to ensure their 'contribution' - whether it's individual scenic boards that can go anywhere, or three boards that attach to each other forming a station, to be completely operationally self contained with a suitable length headshunt or run-round loop to ensure that individual station operations can continue without blocking the main running line.  Admittedly in some cases on quiet rural lines using the main as a headshunt was normal practice but it should be easy enough to extend your "contribution" by a foot just to make the headshunt long enough even if the extension isn't used when you are using it at home as a standalone layout.

As long as at the exteme ends of your "contribution" there is the single track in the appropriate place, and the wiring follows the standard, what you do between them shouldn't matter.

There may be (*) scope for using the double track end to make some of these things more flexible - I know we do this in HO where a single-to-double module can become a siding, a turnback, the end of a section of double track, one end of a runround loop, or the headshunt for a yard, depending on whatever else is connected to it - We've been doing this I think about 6 years now, and we're only just working out the flexibilities of doing this kind of thing - i'm not sure that anyone outside our small local group even owns a module with a double track end - but it's potentially a powerful tool for building arrangements which are both bigger than most individuals can acheive and very flexible.

(* I say "may" - as for British operation the need for differing signals in different roles may restrict you guys more than it affects us.)

That sounds like a reasonable option NSE - although I believe our 'initial standard' is only going to be single track.  Double track standards seem to be 'phase 2' of our glorious leader's master plan :)

However of course if both tracks are centred around a 9" middle, a single track will end up inbetween a double track end and would need another converter of some kind although I suppose that a pair of Y points forming a double to single "junction" could have an adjacent offset headshunt built into it.  There's no reason the headshunt must always be used every time the board is used though.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't worry too much about the headshunts having to be long on a branch station as you won't have to run the line as intensively as an exhibition layout. If you have a crew of two, Driver and Guard, for each train you can easily have 5 trains with 10-12 people working at the same time and busy so they will be pretty spread out much like the real railway. Making sure the local goods was in clear of the passenger service was part of the Signalmans job and in the case of this type of operation the Guard could effectively become Signalman too at each location working the points and signals as well as uncoupling, leaving the driver to just drive the loco. It give the guard something interesting to do rather than stand next to the driver ;)

Making the goods yard self contained at a town station where there is frequent traffic makes perfect sense.

Slowly, the discussion appears to be distilling in the direction of both standards and recommendations. I'm therefore still on board and, given my lack of ability to complete anything so far, I'm declare up front that any modules I produce are likely to be purely scenic initially.

As to venue, I would like to propose/offer Merstham Village Hall. This is a venue I know well, is reasonably priced at £120 a day, has catering facilities on site including a plumbed-in tea urn, and has 18m by 9m useable space in the main hall, with a bit more if off to the side if we need it!

As you can see from the Google Maps link above, communication is good from the A23, M23, M25 and A25 plus Victoria to Brighton mainline. There's even a bus service out of Croydon and Redhill, for those that like that sort of thing. There's parking on site, plus local cafés and public houses.

Their own web site is here and I've attached their published floor plan but, if you want to come and see first hand, [plug=shameless]come along to Narr-O 2014 on 16th August this year[/plug]. Our area group have used it at least once a year for the past three years.

MVH leaflet.pdf

PS: I've noticed that their published charges are higher but I'm confident that I could bring them down to the figure I've quoted based on it being closed to the general public, a relatively innocuous activity and past experience. Even if it's £150, that's only a tenner each for fifteen people to play trains for several hours!

Hi Alan, I'm hoping to come along to that show myself. I have a possible alternative venue in that area but haven't made enquiries yet. Let's see who is still on board once standards are defined and start building before booking venues! Remember as a group we have no money so if only 5 turn up that tenner becomes £30 each or the person whose name is on the bookibg form becomes liable.

However of course if both tracks are centred around a 9" middle, a single track will end up inbetween a double track end and would need another converter of some kind

Not at all - simply move the G-claps so they line up or if single to double that at least one track lines up (and put a heavy sleeper across the rails that end up going nowhere just in case some driver gets lost.)

Anyway the chances of mine being 9" from anywhere are pretty remote - my priority will be getting the track 90' to the joining edges ... a challenge in itself.

• RMweb Gold
if you want to come and see first hand, [plug=shameless]come along to Narr-O 2014 on 16th August this year[/plug].

I would love to come along to this event having quite an interest in narrow gauge however you seem to have booked the event to happen on my (and my son's) birthday.

Any chance of a last minute re-schedule? :jester:

Gary

I would love to come along to this event having quite an interest in narrow gauge however you seem to have booked the event to happen on my (and my son's) birthday.

Any chance of a last minute re-schedule? :jester:

Not a flaming chance! I tell you what, bring your son as well and have a boy's afternoon out. Quote this post, ask for me, and I'll shake your hand on the door!

• RMweb Gold

Not a flaming chance! I tell you what, bring your son as well and have a boy's afternoon out. Quote this post, ask for me, and I'll shake your hand on the door!

If I manage to get a car by then I will. Otherwise I shall definitely come along, My boy wont behave sitting on a train all the way there unfortunately. However if I can't make this one I shall definitely make sure to come to future events that you hold. Especially if you can get the 009 Society involved again as that is the narrow gauge scale I shall eventually model in.

Adventuring to the front of the garage this afternoon I had a search through the wood pile to take stock of available off-cuts/planks/pre-cut left-overs. Too many big spiders in there for my taste.

The excellent news is that I have sufficient 9mm ply 100mm sides to easily make up two modules; flat 9mm board in a suitable size (4ft x 16") to make 4 flatlands layouts (but that will not be the design); and enough 18mmx44mm PAR "whitewood" to make enough open frame 'L' risers and packing.

Further digging in the track box shows at least 2 recovered points and adequate flexitrack.

All I need to do now is find time and plan to do something ...

... when's the starting pistol going to be fired?

Managed to get all the boards out in the garden yesterday. First time I've built something this big. mrs C thinks we need a bigger garden :-(. Unfortunately I've built this at 41' high so going to have to replace all the legs which is a pain.. Still not quite sure how I convert the cassette fiddle yards but think I'll just make simple 4" boards that I can bolt onto the existing cassette base board It's all back in the garage now so I can start on profiling the scenery.

Hi all, Andy Y has now "locked down" the standards for modules so we can start building.  He'll be setting up a subforum for discussion of what we're all building so I would suggest that our modules are put in the great repository but I will make a thread here so we can post links there to our module threads - it'll be easy then to know what we have between us to call upon.

Once we seem to have enough progress ourselves then we can look at arranging our first meet up.

Standards thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88537-rmweb-modular-project-standards/

List your SECAG modules: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88545-rmweb-modular-projects-module-directory/

I take no credit.  I'm just building a module (or three) like the rest of you and it'll be that "coming together" event that is the real success of this thing.  Wherever and whenever that will be will depend on what you lot build and where you are located...

Archived